Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 02:59:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drilling through laminates  (Read 707 times)
tekebird

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:12:34 PM »

I am wanting to install some drawere locks.

the drawer fronts are covered in a laminate?

what would be the best method of drilling these?

any special drill bit?
cover with tape like you do for sawing?

thanks in advance
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 12:17:24 PM »

Eliminate/ minimize the relief angle behind the cutting part of the drill bit. That will reduce the self feeding ability & minimize the chance for grabbing & tearing hunks out.

Another idea is to clamp a piece of plywood to the surface & drill thru it all together. that really works best, even on fragile items.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Hank

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 12:47:27 PM »

I would use a good quality and sharp forstner bit. They're made from about 1/4 up. They're not designed for metal and if you hit a nail or screw you'll mess it up. They work best in a drill press but can be used successfully with a powerful enough hand held drill (not really a problem if you're drilling under an inch). The biggest challenge is keeping the bit square to the work when doing it freehand. Clamping two pieces together is a good idea but hitting your mark accurately can be a problem if that's an issue. You don't use a pilot hole with forstners either.

What I always do when in doubt is try whatever I'm about to do on a scrap to see how it behaves.

Hope that helps.
cody

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 12:57:03 PM »

I drill laminates on a regular basis in our cabinet shop, the way we do it is to mark the hole with a felt tip marker so it'll show thru masking tape, then use a sharp center punch to center the hole and pierce the top layer of the laminate, then drill a slightly undersize hole with a cobalt bit, then the exact size with another cobalt bit, the masking tape will help keep the chipping to a minimum. You can make a center punch for laminate by taking a nailset and sharpening the point with a grinder.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 01:10:53 PM »

thanks All
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: