Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 11:04:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to look for parts to build OTR A/C system?  (Read 1071 times)
belfert

« on: August 03, 2007, 04:56:24 PM »

Does anyone have some suggestions on where to buy parts to build an OTR A/C system?

I tore out my coach A/C system because it didn't work and distributed air only through the luggage racks that are gone.  I believe repair would have cost as much as building a whole new OTR A/C system.  (No charge and condenser fans shot.  I would have had to disconnect and remove condenser to fix fans.)

Anyhow, what is the best place to buy a smaller A/C compressor, two evaporator units, and a condenser?  What about rooftop condensers?  I haven't found one with the 40,000 BTUs I figure I might need.  I want to replace the driver's A/C evaporator and put an evaporator up front for passengers.

mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:22:56 PM »

Hello;     Red Dot and Kysor have all the parts you will need. Welch air in Stockbridge Ga (south of Atlanta) will sell parts and some kits. You can get the Kysor catalog online. The red dot catalog you will need to stop at a truck parts place or send for one. 
     REd Dot makes a rooftop condensor 38,800 BTu 24V fans .  Not a cheap item. The dealers will drop ship most items. You may want to consider that the system parts price will be around  $2500. Installation, charging, and  startup are added costs depending on if you have the equipment to do the job. 

Regards    Mike     
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 05:34:35 PM by mikelutestanski » Logged

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 07:12:04 PM »

Hi Brian,

Mike gave you all the contacts that I know of also.

One other route would be to find a Mini bus [airport shuttles] in a salvage yard and scavenge the componets. They tend to have the carrier ceiling mounted evaporators

that are very effective for what you might be looking to do. The condencers on theese busses are mounted underbelly and with a little creativity, you can mount it in one

of your bays.

Just a thought!
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 07:39:55 PM »

Brian good luck reinventing the wheel! I tried to talk you into leaving the OTR A/C, but now you wanna go back and put back in what you already had! I don't believe for a minute that you can build and install one cheaper than you could have fixed the old on and modified the distrubution points (called ducts and vents)for less! But hey it's your bus, your $ and your way! I just wish I had the $ you've cost yourself extra several times by doing things one way then redoing them another way(this and generator come to mind and probaly others I can't think of at the moment!)! And complaining about how much this has cost you altogether the whole time! FWIW JMHO! (not try'n to slam ya, but you ask for advice then do the opposite of the advice given amd then complain about how much $ ya spent doing it!)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 09:03:07 PM »

I knew from day one the coach A/C didn't work.  I was quoted $700 just to fill and test things out.  I didn't know then that one or both condenser fans were not working which probably caused the plug to blow out of the drier.  I decided based on the costs to repair and the difficulty of ducting all the way from the rear that it was better to dump the coach A/C.  The Dina doesn't have enough ceiling height to run ducts on the ceiling. 

I looked into the stuff from Dan Hard when I first started the conversion last year and the cost was around $2,000.  I am trying to see if anyone else does it for less before I shell out the money.  I still haven't driven enough in the heat to see if the roof airs will be enough for road travel, but I doubt it.

Yes, I have spent more money than I ever planned when I started this project.  The main reason I was so pissed off last year and in such a bad mood for a week or two was spending all that money and not even having the bus ready for my first big trip which was the reason for the purchase in the first place.  I ended up going nowhere but BK's rally last year.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 09:15:40 PM »

Red Dot makes the A/C units for most of the big rigs on the road-so they are just about as tough as it gets.  When I first got my last truck, I made a belt driven off the generator A/C that I just duplicated the front unit.  I only spun the compressor at 1200 rpm and still would freeze you out (course it was R12 too!).
Another is Carrier.  While they make most of the big A/C systems on buses, they also make smaller systems that are powered by car sized compressors for a lot less.

I have 3 roof top air conditioners with the front one close to the drivers seat.  2 will keep the bus cool up to 100 degrees outside, at which time I just kick on the third.  Whether you power the air conditioner compressor with the main engine or electrically with the generator, the power has to come from somewhere.  I have had good luck with the 3 roof top air conditioner theory.  Considering you can get 3-15,000btu Colemans (only 2 spds-noisy at night, but work well) or Dometics Duo Therm (3 spd for quiet night use), or Carrier (their low profile is the lowest at only 7.5" tall) for about $700 apiece, that is way less than you'll spend setting up one A/C system for the front of the bus.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 09:28:42 PM »

Belfert,call Tejas at 940-325-2332 Charles has some almost new sutrak roof systems for sale or you can buy a complete amg bus with roof mount air for 3 grand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: