Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 01:04:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep the floor or not?  (Read 2219 times)
belfert

« on: May 15, 2006, 08:07:43 AM »

I'm almost done stripping my bus.  I now need to decide on the floor.

Is there a good reason to remove the floor?  This is a 1995 Dina and I don't believe anything under the floor needs repair as verified by JD at C&J bus repair.  I plan to keep at least part of the seat rail to build a dinette with the original seats.

What about covering the floor with another layer?  Any good reason to do this other than not having to remove the vinyl flooring?  If I put on another layer of flooring I would have to get longer bolts for the seats.

Brian Elfert
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 08:47:39 AM »

Brian,

If the floor is good, You do what you want!  Whats works for your plans.

I left the vinyl and rails and glued and screwed 5/8 osb over existing floor. I did it that way to keep my marble floors stable.

Nick

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 11:09:56 AM »

Brian,

If its good I would leave it.

I don't know what kind of headroom a Dina has, but a lot of converters put a layer of insulation and then cover with plywood.

I put the Rmax 3/4" underneath and a new layer of 3/4" plywood.

Ran some 1 x's  at the edges and through the middlle to eliminate edge pressure on the insulation.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
belfert

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 11:34:50 AM »

The headroom is marginal now, so another 1" of insulation might not be a good idea.  I was thinking I could insulate the underside, but then realized I could only do so where the bays are, so it wouldn't make much sense.

I'll probably keep the existing floor with maybe another layer on top.  I do need to patch a few holes where they cut through in the bathroom.

Brian Elfert
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 11:48:06 AM »

Brian,

Yeah, I understand the height issue.

If it wasn't for my roof raise I wouldn't have insulated the floor.

They do make some interesting roll sheet insulation with reflective material that might be perfect for the roof of the bays though.

I used that 3M marine sealant to bond the replacement pieces I put into fill some of the holes in the original floor from bay lights..bus plumbing etc...   That stuff is awsome...   It would be easier to cut a new hole than knock those pieces out..

Nick,

Marble floors...No wonder that ferry was listing to the right in your pictures. Grin

Cliff

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 12:10:18 PM »

Cliff, You know,  Us Italians have to have marble. It's a symbol of strength!

You have to have alot of strength to lift all that marble into the bus Grin

I'm sure it costs me in fuel milage a bit! Grin

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
jlaney
prevost one

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 05:56:26 PM »

hello from tyler tx
i left the old floor and covered mine with 1 half inch plyboard but the portion over the
rear wheel well is a little spoungy, maybe i woulld have been better to take that portion
out . but too late now. 3/4 would have been better. 1980 prevost le mirage slick slicksides
thanks j.t. laney

j.t. laney  tyler texas 1980 prevost lemirage
belfert

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 07:27:03 PM »

hello from tyler tx
i left the old floor and covered mine with 1 half inch plyboard but the portion over the
rear wheel well is a little spoungy, maybe i woulld have been better to take that portion
out . but too late now. 3/4 would have been better. 1980 prevost le mirage slick slicksides

The plywood in the very back of my Dina over the engine was completely rotted out.  The plywood literally delminated.  I believe the A/C evaporator was leaking water.  If not that, then the roof hatch for servicing the evaporator was leaking.  I am going to seal the roof hatch when it goes back on.

I will have to check the floor at the very back to be sure rot didn't get in there.

Brian Elfert
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 08:12:01 PM »

Brian,

I had three soft spots in my floor which I replaced.

It was definitely a pain in the %^&. Tongue

But I am glad its done and no future worries. Grin

Cliff

Mark Twain
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 12:01:44 AM »

What I did - I cleaned the old (good) floor and glued and screwed tongue and grove plywood to it.  I needed to cover the ramp on the MCI anyway.  It made for a really good and solid foundation.  One thing - you loose a little head room by doing this.

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: