Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:47:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: glue for installing siding?  (Read 1592 times)
ttomas

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2007, 08:27:52 AM »

I raised the roof of my MCI9 and have decided to install fiberglass sides. What would be a good glue to use. I will use rivets also. thanks Tomas
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 08:37:14 AM »

I used SikaFlex to attach the 20ga steel to the sides of my Thomas. Works very well.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Connel
Eagle 05 w/Ser60 & HD4060PR

Day Eagle landed & before total rebuild.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 08:38:30 AM »

Tomas,
This website might offer you some information.  Has been used by many on this board.  They also have a #221 that is used by some.  Have not personally used it but will be doing so in the next couple of months.

Connel

http://www.sikaindustry.com/ind/ipd-transoem-body

Central Oklahoma

Refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:23:47 AM »

I used SikaFlex to glue my fiberglass sides on the bus.
Ron
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 09:04:12 PM »

We will be doing this soon.  My question is, do you need to do the rivits also?  And how many and where did you put them. There is something about using just glue that makes me a little nervous.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Dreamscape

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 03:04:21 AM »

If it were me, I would use rivets along the top, just under the drip rail. Also midstream above the aluminum, most is covered up there by a piece of molding.

Good Luck and Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 07:05:17 AM »

and make sure you clean the surfaces per sikaflex specs.  for example lacquer thinner will leave a film thatwill cause the adhesive not to stick.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 07:13:34 AM »

if I were doing the job I would use 3m 5200

it's a marine grade adheasive and will almost certainly never fail.....your metal next to it will likely fail first.
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 10:01:48 AM »

I put rivets on the top and bottom about every 4"
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 11:42:42 PM »

I saw a bus where the owner used silkaflex and rivets.  The metal was ever-so-slightly bulged out between the rivets that were spaced 4 inches apart.  It looked odd and a little homemade.  The silkaflex is strong enuf to not need thye rivets but how are you going to keep it clamped?  I don't know what caused the bulging but I think he used a large bead of cement and a smaller one was called for.  Don't know though.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 07:59:52 AM »

I've done one side and it really worked well. I used 3M 8609.I only put rivets on the top and bottom of the siding. (one 35' piece of fiberglass) I was advised to use it by a supplier and another long time bodyman. I tests ed it first and have since used it for various other applications. It is costly, but forms a permanent bond. The materials bonded are the weaker link. Tomas
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 08:48:26 AM »

Sika makes many types of adhesives and sealants. I have used it on transit buses and MCI's too.
Make sure you use the right product for your application. The website is in a previous post.
It's awesome stuff.
Good luck.  Cool
ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 09:31:04 AM »

I had good luck using Sika. I installed 1/8 inch alum with no fasteners.  To apply pressure, I parked my coach next to a building and used 2 x 4's to wedge between the building and the panel.  I also used small plastic spacers that are used in ceramic tile to keep the bead from being compressed too much.  It has been five years and no problems.

Art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 03:48:56 PM »

Good point Art. When useing adhesives like Sika, 3M ect. it is necessary to not squeeze out all the adhesive. Contact manufacturer to find out how thick adhesive should be for maximum strength. Not how thick it should be applied, but how thick it should be for maximum bond.
 Buck riviting something that has adhesive applied squeezes out the adhesive! Why put something on and then sqeeze it all out?

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 04:04:11 PM »

Someone on the board bought several thousand little plastic washers to use as spacers. Last I heard he still had a lot left, Maybe sold them by now. Think he was in Colorado, but can not remember his name now. Oh well, getting old.
Richard

Good point Art. When useing adhesives like Sika, 3M ect. it is necessary to not squeeze out all the adhesive. Contact manufacturer to find out how thick adhesive should be for maximum strength. Not how thick it should be applied, but how thick it should be for maximum bond.
 Buck riviting something that has adhesive applied squeezes out the adhesive! Why put something on and then sqeeze it all out?

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: