Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 03:34:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When to replace a tire  (Read 1151 times)
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2007, 10:34:38 AM »

My left front tire has good thread still on it.  The problem is the sidewall has small cracks or spidering.  The longest being about 3 inches.

I'm getting ready to move from Phoenix to Gulfport, Ms  in the next week to 10 days.

Thanks for the input,

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 10:37:26 AM »

My left front tire has good thread still on it.  The problem is the sidewall has small cracks or spidering.  The longest being about 3 inches.

I'm getting ready to move from Phoenix to Gulfport, Ms  in the next week to 10 days.

Thanks for the input,

Bill
Bill, it would be a good idea to check the manufacturing date on all your tires. If older than 7 years they should be replaced, regardless of tread depth.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 10:44:36 AM »

Don't believe they are that old.  I do not see a date stamp on it.  Found what looks like a serial number.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:44:56 AM »

When in doubt, Get New tires on the front.. I wouldnt take a chance on a LONG trip like that.. If you have 3 inch cracks  Shocked

Always better to Err on the side of caution  Grin

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 11:08:34 AM »

Don't believe they are that old.  I do not see a date stamp on it.  Found what looks like a serial number.

Bill

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_expire.htm

DETERMINING TIRE DATE CODES

How old are the tires on your vehicle? The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits in the DOT manufacture code on the sidewall of the tire. The number is often stamped in a recessed rectangle. The DOT code tells who manufactured the tire, where it was made and when. The last group of digits in the code is the date code that tells when the tire was made.

Before 2000, the date code had three digits. Since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991). For most tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004).

Richard
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:10:42 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 11:15:45 AM »

Thanks Richard,

I find it on the right front.  Which means it must be in the inside of the tire on the left.  Will check it tomorrow while I'm in the shop.

Thanks Again.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 11:36:31 AM »

Bill, I recommend replacement. It is currently mounted on the steering axle - safety first.
Have it checked out by a tire guy, might be able to save it for a tag axle or spare tire.
Sammy  Cool
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 11:53:50 AM »

Perhaps I can switch the tag and the front.

The front is a Sumitomo the tag a Firestone, both are 12R22.5.  The Firestone looks in better shape, as far as the sidewall issue.  Going to be in the shop tomorrow for rear end work, I will have them inspect it.

Thanks for the input,

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 11:57:19 AM »

The date code on the right front reads,

6XB4801

Does this mean it is a late 2001 tire?

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 12:05:17 PM »

The date code on the right front reads,

6XB4801

Does this mean it is a late 2001 tire?

Bill
I would interpret that to mean November of 2001. That is six years old and getting to the age when it should be retired, (pardon the pun) but I would go to a tire shop and have them give an expert opinion. There should not be a problem finding one in the area you are in.
Richard

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »

I was told that the cracking (also punctures) can allow moisture to enter tire. Which will cause the steel belts to rust. This will weakin the tire and is uninspectable. I replaced 6 year old steer tires that had weather checking in the 1/4th inch range.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 06:49:59 PM »

The shop says the tire is still good.  Of course they followed it up with, "we'll pull the spare and inspect it".  For the time being I'll keep it, but watch it closely.

Thanks for all the input.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »

there is some sort of measurment in PA for sidwall cracks.....as to what is deemed safe by State inspection mechanics.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: