Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 06:25:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MC8 Oil-cooled generator is cactus. Need spares supplier please  (Read 1355 times)
Tony LEE

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2007, 10:22:12 PM »

I have a Feb 1977 MC8 Crusader Unit Number 32114 with a  oil-cooled generator belt-driven off the 8V71.

Two bars of the stator windings in the same slot have been arcing and one bar is burnt through and all windings are down to ground.

I may be able to find someone who enjoys a challenge to fix it but we are in the sparsely-populated north of Oz so it may be easier, quicker and just as cheap to get a new stator flown out (to Australia).

Loss of the generator is not going to cause major or immediate problems with our life on the road because we have a pretty good solar powered house system so I can back-charge the engine batteries from that, so as long as I don't drive at night we should be barely inconvenienced -- except that it would be nice to use the bus aircon though because it is in good condition (and this means fitting a smaller unit is not a great option since I would have to scrap the aircon).

Anyone have a source of spares for this unit in the USA - preferably with email contacts and phone numbers -- so I can see how much is involved. Original manufacturer might be useful if they are still in business.

Also, the spare parts list sent to me by a member last year for a gear driven oil cooled generator that appears identical shows the MCI part number for the stator as ?R-3-78 (can't read the first letter) so if anyone could confirm the correct number, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Tony
I don't (ever) cross-post to similar forums but I'll make an exception just this once.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 08:27:38 AM »

Most likely you have a Delco 50DN alternator, of which is still being made. I have one that is gear driven off the back of the 8V-71 that I replaced about a year ago (a pain since they weigh 45.5 kilos). I work with Los Angeles Freightliner and can ship one to you.  But need exact model number off the existing one.  With all the buses that run in Australia, I'll bet a Roo steak that you can find it there to avoid the tremendous shipping cost from the States.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 08:36:01 AM »

Tony, contact these guys - http://www.kirksauto.com/index.htm
I use their products when I rebuild the Delco 50 DN alternator - top quality stuff.
The part you are looking for is called a stator. They sell the stator and the diode end already assembled, if that's easier for you. You will only then have to remove the drive end and rotor assy - just 6 bolts, it prys up gently.I have done hundreds of units with their parts.
Best of luck to you.
Sammy  Cool
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 05:41:53 PM »

Thanks Tom and Sammy.
Now that I have the manufacturers name I have found the Oz distributor for Delco and they have offices in Perth which is where I'm heading for eventually - about 4000km away. The unit is shown in their catalogue and they will send me some measurements to make sure we get the correct part. Unfortunately the ID plate is missing off the alternator.

Yes, they are a pain to get out but not too bad once the air-cleaner and clamps were removed as it is just a short slide over to the muffler cover. Hardest part was getting to the oil drain hose clamps. I just fitted under the bus with the air bags deflated and then only because that side wheels were on 3" blocks to get the rig level..
Last time I had it out to fix a bad connection to the field coil, it was in the workshop for a clutch replacement so the mechanics took it out and replaced it for me and they had plenty of room to get at it. Much harder by myself in the middle of a camping ground.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:52:09 PM by tonylee » Logged

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:58:06 PM »

Tony -

Good luck on your project, sounds like you're covered.

Might I add a suggestion?

While you've got the unit out, get yourself a matched set of new drive belts for the alternator.  Cheap insurance!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 03:51:26 AM »

Ha, not much chance of putting the old ones back on -- Although the belts were in place when I stopped to check when the light first came on,  they were thoroughly torn to pieces and scattered all over the engine bay by the time I had another look at it a few miles further on.  I saw that one end of the tensioning cylinder had come off (the material in the rubber-filled mount on the engine end had fractured) and I thought the lack of tension had caused the belts to fail because of overheating due to slipping.
I temporarily wired the mounting back in place and replaced the belts with the spares, but of course the charge light was still on so I just kept going assuming the charge relay had loosened in the socket on the very corrugated roads we were on at the time.
When I found the second set of belts also shredded, I figured I had to look a bit deeper.
Field coil resistance measured OK, field relay was operating and when field current also measured OK, I realised major surgery was required. Bugger.

So 2 sets of matched belts will be here tomorrow total cost AU$112, new stator on Friday AU$1000 plus a few sets of workclothes to be washed, plus a few showers to clean myself up, and hopefully we will be on the road again. Winter here at the moment, 30 degrees Celsius and humid so the bus aircon will be running every mile so I hope the new design stator with claimed longer life and cooler running actually lives up to the manufacturer's claims.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 08:34:08 AM »

Sounds like a strange winter with it 30 degrees and high humidity!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: