Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 02:02:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vinegar to flush cooling system ?  (Read 3929 times)
Hobie

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2007, 06:27:31 PM »

Anyone use vinegar to flush and clean their cooling system?   Plumbers use it to clean steam bath coils.  (brass and copper)

Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 06:54:26 PM »

An OTR trucker told me the same thing. It seems that all the local truckers use it to flush their radiators.

DD and Prestone probably don't want the word to get out since they are financially prejudiced.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 07:01:54 PM »

I've used vinegar and water in an ultra-sonic cleaner for 5-15 minutes or overnight in a glass bowl - followed by a quick baking soda water rinse and running water to clean and restore my antique scuba equipement for years - it removes all the saltwater corrosion and scale and leaves the copper and chrome intact

Pete RTYS/Daytona

and even more powerful cleaner is Phosphoric Acid as found in  SKYCO brand OSPHO: "a balanced formula of Phosphoric, Dichromate, Wetting Agents and Extenders" according to thier web site
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 07:04:42 PM by RTS/Daytona » Logged

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
justin25taylor

1974 05 Eagle and 1986 10 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 09:39:25 PM »

My dad uses vinegar as well. He claims it works great.

I was told by a very elderly black man that has owned the local radiator shop for years to use plain powdered Tide laundry soap and plain table salt.
For a normal (car) sized radiator he said to use a half cup of each and leave it in at least an hour. followed by normal rinsing.
It did wonders on my truck.
I bet the Ospho works best. I'll bet it also finds any soon to be leaks. Wink

Justin
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 11:54:06 PM »

For the purists, DD sells a two part flushing agent.

Put in the first to cleanse, put in the second to neutralize, rinse and re-fill.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 06:01:48 AM »

For the purists, DD sells a two part flushing agent.

Put in the first to cleanse, put in the second to neutralize, rinse and re-fill.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Those Commercial Flushing agents are VERY Costic. Be carful how long you use it. I knew an Idiot that used one, he put in the Cleaner and Left it there. It Dessolved his Radiater in spots.. What a Maroon..  Roll Eyes
I rather like the Home brew stuff better, its Safer and more forgiving  Grin I'll go for the Vineger every time. I use it on my Swamp Coolers too.

Paul....

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 06:30:14 PM »

Hehehe...vinegar was fine for years ...the old lady (ex) used it to keep a personal item or two clean...I didn't have any squawks about that!

Now they think they've discovered something new?

Am I gonna catch h*ll for this post!

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 07:28:57 PM »

Vinegar is an acid and is very strong so you can't leave it in too long. Just how long is hard to judge, depends on a lot of things. I used it on an old JD tractor radiator and it found some holes that were plugged by lime buildup for an untold number of years. Also the loosened lime scale can plug radiator tubes.

It would take a "Maroon" to just leave it in a long time, it is very caustic. Put a piece of rusted steel in vinegar overnight and it will be clean the next day.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 07:38:27 PM »

Ok y'all got me ready to try it, since I gotta drain the system soon to replace a "used" hose I had to put on in an emergency a couple weeks ago while I waited on the special order cone shaped molded hose from Setra! My question is what kinda % mixture should I use for flushing my system? Thanks 
Grin  BK   Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 08:08:29 PM »

Vinegar can't be that much of an acid.  I looked at my gallon bottle and it says reduced to 5% acidity.

They wouldn't recommend using it for general cleaning if it would destroy things.  Yes, it will remove lime.  If a radiator had lime deposits plugging holes then the radiator needed repair anyhow.

I'm planning to pull my radiator and having it professionally cleaned.  One of my friends thinks he can get someone to pull and replace the radiator at no charge.  I will have to spend $30 or $40 to drive the bus there and back.
Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 08:39:38 PM »

I used about a cup per gallon.  Warmed engine up.  Allowed to cool about an hour then drained and flushed with water.  Filled with tap water, run engine again allow to cool and drain.  I too used the 5% vinegar, so it was a weak solution.  It cleaned the goo from the top of the vertical fins.  No leaks or problems so far.  I will rinse one more time before installing antifreeze.  I also liked to drain into the gutter.  Easy and I won't piss off my enviro neighbor!   

ahhh... old school rules!

bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 05:15:13 AM »

Belfert, why not bring your bus to BK's rally and get it done here?  Sure you would have to pay for the fuel to get here and registration fee BUT.....you get Bryces help in cleaning the radiator and his and Dallas advice on other things for your bus.  I know both of them would be glad to give lots of free advice.  Cat

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
belfert

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 08:50:35 AM »

Belfert, why not bring your bus to BK's rally and get it done here?  Sure you would have to pay for the fuel to get here and registration fee BUT.....you get Bryces help in cleaning the radiator and his and Dallas advice on other things for your bus.  I know both of them would be glad to give lots of free advice.  Cat

I would love to go to the rally, but I don't really have either the vacation days or the funds really to make it.  The other issue would be finding a radiator shop to clean it and test it on a weekend.

$30 or $40 in fuel to have the radiator removed locally is a lot cheaper. 
gus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 02:31:57 PM »

Yes, it is a weak dilution, you sure wouldn't want to mess with it at full strength.

The point is not to leave it in contact with any radiator or other light metal for very long.

I once left it on my bathtub drain too long and it removed the chrome. Our water has a lot of lime so we have to clean shower heads, sinks and bathtubs often.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 09:03:37 PM »

I would love to go to the rally, but I don't really have either the vacation days or the funds really to make it.  The other issue would be finding a radiator shop to clean it and test it on a weekend.

$30 or $40 in fuel to have the radiator removed locally is a lot cheaper.

I can make that happen!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: