Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 06:52:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tow hitch for an MC8  (Read 2259 times)
lv2rescue

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2007, 01:57:46 PM »

I've got an MC8 that I want put a 10,000 lb rated hitch on. I am in the South. Calif area and all the welding shops i have talked to don't want to do hitches anymore because of the liability. Anyone know of a shop that can do this within a state or two? The rig has a hitch currently, but I don't know what it's rating is and I want to be sure it is built correctly before I start pulling a bigger trailer or toad.
Thanks for any help
Chris
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 03:12:23 PM »

I would check with Bob of H&B industries in So Cal. Bob converts buses and may be willing to help with the welding. You should be able to google him and get his contact information.

Good luck!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
cody

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 05:20:31 PM »

Just a thought, have you checked with any charter companies about it?  The ones around here generally take any recievers off and toss them, I got mine off an MCI for free and will modify it for my eagle.  They unbolted it and even loaded it in my truck for me.  They told me they have no use for them and most charters toss them anyway.
Austin
MC-12

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »

we can do it just have to drive to OHIO
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 06:38:24 PM »

Come to the TN Bus Bash September 6th-10th and we can do it for you! We're fix'n to do one for "Slow Rider's" MC8 we have here at the shop now! Your more than welcome to contact Dallas Or I either 1 about it!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
cody

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 07:05:57 PM »

This thread is what I like the most about this forum, I've been a member of other forums for several years before I found this one.  I see people here that go the extra mile for other busnuts, this is a wonderful thing, to see the help available and to share the knowledge, to be able to rib each other now and then but to know that when we have a problem, others will do whatever they can to help, it just makes me feel good to be a part of it even tho my abilities are limited I'll try to do what I can, whenever I can.  Whatever the question, someone always has an answer or a solution.  And BK, if we all chipped in a few bucks, is it possible to have slowriders bus painted pink? lol
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 07:15:54 PM »

This thread is what I like the most about this forum, I've been a member of other forums for several years before I found this one.  I see people here that go the extra mile for other busnuts, this is a wonderful thing, to see the help available and to share the knowledge, to be able to rib each other now and then but to know that when we have a problem, others will do whatever they can to help, it just makes me feel good to be a part of it even tho my abilities are limited I'll try to do what I can, whenever I can.  Whatever the question, someone always has an answer or a solution.  And BK, if we all chipped in a few bucks, is it possible to have slowriders bus painted pink? lol

Ahh well I'll check with Dallas, but I'm sure it should not be a problem! As a matter of fact it'll probably help his wife's opinion of it! LOL! (as I understand she's not to hip on this build it yerself bus thing! LOL!)

How 'bout it Dallas think we can paint it "HOT PINK" while it's in the shop for the hitch?  Grin  BK   Grin
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 07:20:34 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dallas

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 08:24:31 PM »

I don't see a lot of problem with painting it what ever color everyone decides on as long as Big Lots or Dollar General has that color in stock.

I would prefer to go with the $1 cans though.... those 77˘ cans had a lot of variation in them when we let those homeless people put their names on it the last time.

By the way, has anyone ever heard of someone named "Crip" or "MS13"? and that upside down 5 pointed star wasn't nearly as neat as it could have been!

Grin
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 05:18:29 AM »

Quote from: Dallas
I don't see a lot of problem with painting it what ever color everyone decides on as long as Big Lots or Dollar General has that color in stock.

I would prefer to go with the $1 cans though.... those 77˘ cans had a lot of variation in them when we let those homeless people put their names on it the last time.

By the way, has anyone ever heard of someone named "Crip" or "MS13"? and that upside down 5 pointed star wasn't nearly as neat as it could have been!

Grin

I was thinkong more along the lines of 2 gallons of "HOT PINK" sold at Big Lots for $2.99/gal and some cheap rollers an brushes!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Hobe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 05:52:37 AM »

I have a problem with the 10k. MCIs have a lot of brook motor cradles . I think that he may have the engine in the middle of the road with that kind of a load on it. Fred North Florida Bus Conversion
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 03:14:42 PM »

I can see right now I am going to have to bring my own 5 gallon bucket of mystery color I got from Home Depot last winter at the clearance sale.  No one can give it a name but they all agree there can't be more of it anywhere on earth.  The question is do I need to bring my own sponges to put it on or do you have any left over ? 

And as an side, BK, next time  I show up I expect some of that barbecue Dallas keeps bragging about. Smiley

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 04:25:27 PM »

Quote from: Hobe
I have a problem with the 10k. MCIs have a lot of brook motor cradles . I think that he may have the engine in the middle of the road with that kind of a load on it. Fred North Florida Bus Conversion             

Fred I just said we'd install it! I DID NOT SAY WE"D BE LIABLE for it! As far as the actual installation we'd stand behind the craftmanship, As far as actually putting it under that kinda load we'd still stand behind it! WAY BEHIND! (like a couple miles! LOL!)
Grin  BK  Grin

I can see right now I am going to have to bring my own 5 gallon bucket of mystery color I got from Home Depot last winter at the clearance sale.  No one can give it a name but they all agree there can't be more of it anywhere on earth.  The question is do I need to bring my own sponges to put it on or do you have any left over ? 

And as an side, BK, next time  I show up I expect some of that barbecue Dallas keeps bragging about. Smiley

Frank                                 

No worries Ken I got it covered ! I can get all the paint returns from LOWE'S for free, they just take and mix it all together in a 55 gallon drum and if you haul it you can have it!
And you had your chance! We BBQ'd the day you told me you'd be by to drop off the plates and show it to your MA! But you didn't show! But there will be PLENTY at the Ralley!

Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 05:17:30 PM »

Guys,

I live in Eugene, Or.  There is a shop here that can build combo boat/car trailers as double deck hydra. operated units.  I have seen a lot of his work and all has been top notch.  The name is "Ron's hitch-n-tow".  People with million dollar hi-line coaches drive in from Texas and So Cal. to have him do work.  Ron's rep, like the people he serves, travels in wide circles.  A guy told me the other day "I can have this work done anywher in the country I so well please and I come here to have Ron do it".  Yep, he is a friend, and one of the best I have ever had, but that doesn't change the facts.  He fixes the wander problem in BIG Beaver coaches (and other brands) for people that are exasperated with all other's efforts.

If you are in the neighborhood and I can help you out of a fix....541 915 0832,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 08:01:38 PM »

Most I could get as far as promises of weight bearing capabilities on our hitch on our MC9 was 500 (tongue) / 5,000.  Nowhere near 10,000.  Due to having to work with the engine cradle instead of frame ( i think ).  This shop really knew their stuff, so I'm not going over that limit.

YMMV.

Hope this helps , Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
lv2rescue

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 09:23:30 PM »

Okay, thanks for all the good ideas. So, for those who indicated I probably shouldn't tow 10,000 lbs., I just figured I see buses pulling all kinds of large trucks and SUV's and figured they were in the 7000-8000 lb range. What do you feel would be the max tongue weight and overall weight that would be safe for an MCI. I would like to tow my F350 which weighs about 7000, but I also want to put some toys in and on the truck so I figure around 8000 lbs. There would be no appreciable tongue weight. Does this sound out of line? Or should I tow something lighter. Thanks for those of you who offered your services, although I probably won't be in Ohio with my rig soon, so I will give a call to the more local folks. Thanks again to all for the information
Chris
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 05:46:59 AM »

Okay, thanks for all the good ideas. So, for those who indicated I probably shouldn't tow 10,000 lbs., I just figured I see buses pulling all kinds of large trucks and SUV's and figured they were in the 7000-8000 lb range. What do you feel would be the max tongue weight and overall weight that would be safe for an MCI. I would like to tow my F350 which weighs about 7000, but I also want to put some toys in and on the truck so I figure around 8000 lbs. There would be no appreciable tongue weight. Does this sound out of line? Or should I tow something lighter. Thanks for those of you who offered your services, although I probably won't be in Ohio with my rig soon, so I will give a call to the more local folks. Thanks again to all for the information
Chris

Chris we're closerthan OH! We're right across the Mississippi River in TN! See ya soon! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Stan

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 06:06:27 AM »

I have fifty years experience welding on my own stuff, but I always get a certified welder to weld a hitch. A hitch failure, at minimum, is expensive. Killing people is really hard on the conscience.

If towing four wheels down and not putting any weight on the hitch, then the limit is probably how much horsepower you have, providing you get the hitch designed and built to pull from the drive axle and not from the bulkhead or engine cradle.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 12:50:40 PM »

Chris,

Here is a great thread re: hitches on MC9s.

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4080.msg36996#msg36996

In quickly glancing through the thread, I saw a great post by rv_safetyman and MCI specs.

Also, searching on "trailer hitch" on this board will bring other good stuff as well.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
lv2rescue

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 09:54:14 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I will work on combining the ideas and trying that shop in California you mentioned.
Chris
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: