Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 12:55:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tow hitch for an MC8  (Read 2201 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 05:46:59 AM »

Okay, thanks for all the good ideas. So, for those who indicated I probably shouldn't tow 10,000 lbs., I just figured I see buses pulling all kinds of large trucks and SUV's and figured they were in the 7000-8000 lb range. What do you feel would be the max tongue weight and overall weight that would be safe for an MCI. I would like to tow my F350 which weighs about 7000, but I also want to put some toys in and on the truck so I figure around 8000 lbs. There would be no appreciable tongue weight. Does this sound out of line? Or should I tow something lighter. Thanks for those of you who offered your services, although I probably won't be in Ohio with my rig soon, so I will give a call to the more local folks. Thanks again to all for the information
Chris

Chris we're closerthan OH! We're right across the Mississippi River in TN! See ya soon! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 06:06:27 AM »

I have fifty years experience welding on my own stuff, but I always get a certified welder to weld a hitch. A hitch failure, at minimum, is expensive. Killing people is really hard on the conscience.

If towing four wheels down and not putting any weight on the hitch, then the limit is probably how much horsepower you have, providing you get the hitch designed and built to pull from the drive axle and not from the bulkhead or engine cradle.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 12:50:40 PM »

Chris,

Here is a great thread re: hitches on MC9s.

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4080.msg36996#msg36996

In quickly glancing through the thread, I saw a great post by rv_safetyman and MCI specs.

Also, searching on "trailer hitch" on this board will bring other good stuff as well.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
lv2rescue

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 09:54:14 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I will work on combining the ideas and trying that shop in California you mentioned.
Chris
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: