Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 01:23:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Potable Water Hose  (Read 3951 times)
Phil in SoCal

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2006, 02:51:12 AM »

I see adverts occasionally, & in stores special hoses that are marked as being for potable water. What difference does it make? Is there something special about this hose's material? Of course I'd want to reserve a hose from any other use that might pollute it. Like, if you've a macerator, you'd not wnat to drain sewage, then use the hose for drinking.  Huh

Phil . . .  as for status, newbies etc., why not scan down the old board with search (F4) and count the number of posts & give a user credit for that activity on the old board? 
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 05:17:26 AM »

Not sure if there's actually anything about the material, but I think they use a plastic that is considered safe for drinking water and won't leach out toxins. Probably made with virgin resins, not recycled.

The standard seems to be white for potable water.

We have coiled hose (5/8"?) we bought at Camping World. Takes up a lot of bay room. They have a couple hoses that are braided flat, and roll up on a reel and take up very little room, plus when you roll them up, they drain easily. I may get one of those this year. They're a little more expensive, but it seems like it might be easier to drain and stow. Only downside I see is you would have to unroll the whole thing to use it, and might not be able to leave it coiled on the ground as I do with the one I have.

Any thoughts on these?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 05:26:50 AM »

The roll up hoses seep water. Sad

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 06:45:09 AM »

I read a lot of the labels at my local box store and the plastics in most of those hoses may contain lead.
I have enough brain damage as it is, (I'm a Bus-Nut), without adding lead.
Besides going to my brain, the rest of the lead settles in my behind.
Dallas
Linda-4104-FL

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 06:47:16 AM »

I believe the white hoses specifically touted for potable water are of a higher quality plastic that does not give the water a "plastic" smell or taste as it runs through the hose.
Linda Smiley
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 07:13:41 PM »

All plastic hoses have some "hose" taste. The white hoses like the ones CampingWorld sells are not bad, but none are totally taste free. Taste goes away after the hose is used for a few minutes. Comes right back.
I guess the potable water hose are safe.... been using the things for way too many years now. Our litigious tort system would have discovered any safety issues by now.
Hmmm..just thinking...maybe it ain't dementia after all
Wink

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: