Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 07:21:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We're Home!  (Read 1077 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« on: August 13, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »

We arrived home on Saturday ffternoon from our 2539 mile, 10 week trip.  We were in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and Alabama.  Along the way we visited with many great busnuts (some were old friends, some were new aquaintanences, but ALL were great people and a joy to be around).
    The bus ran great, except for blowing a tag tire while sitting at a truck stop in South Carolina. This was a tire I had planned to change before the trip but just didn't get a "round tuit".
     Running in 100 degree ambient temps (Road temps were 106-108*), bus never exceeded 195* except on one long grade coming out of Birmingham when we hit about 198*, with engine compartment temp hitting 170* (In 100* ambient temps, engine compartment temp was usally around 150*).  It was interesting watching the 2 water temperature, oil temperature, transmission temperature, pyrometer, and engine compartment temperature. It was very easy to see how bus speed and engine RPM affect the temps and the interaction between the different components. In 100* ambient temps, 60 MPH=185* water temp, 65MPH=190*, and 70MPH=195*.  We drove much of the trip on non interstate roads at 55-60 MPH. Fuel fill=ups on these roads showed about 6.2 GPH. The last leg of our trip was on interstates at 65-70MPH, fuel mileage was about 5.7MPH.
   Thanks to all the busnuts along the way that gave us places to park and the enjoyment we had just visiting with and seeing their buses.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:56:48 PM »

Jack, we are glad to hear your return home was a safe one.  I'm sure it feels good to be back in FL for now.  I hope you get good news about a sale for your home soon so you can make your move in our direction.  We really enjoyed all the times we were able to spend with you, Paula and the kitties during your "tour".  Cat

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 02:59:16 PM »

We're sooo happy that you and Paula made it home safely, Jack.  We know that your trip was a success because anywhere you two travel you bring joy to all who come in contact with you.

Jackie & I, and I'm sure others, are hoping you will be able to swing back up this way in October for another Table Top hot dog roast.

We're adjusting our timetable to work in Hoboken, Ga on the way to FL this fall. If we don't catch you one place...we'll catch you at another.

Jackie & Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 03:09:22 PM »

Jack and Paula,

10 weeks, Wow!

Its hard to believe 10 weeks have passed since you stopped (idled) here LOL on your way to Fred's.

Glad it was a fun trip.

One of the Best parts of our hobby is the Great people you can meet.

Glad your back, You know we have been holding out on any hurricanes until you both got back.... Grin

Cliff & Julie

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »

Jack and Paula, have not met you yet, looking forward to it though.
We are hoping to be at the Arcadia Rally in Dec, at least for the first day.  I posted on the calender page looking for info, someone said ya'll were on vacation and would start it up when you were rested.
Anyway, looking forward to meeting you. Kyle said you were good folks...that's good enogh for me!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 05:42:36 PM »

Glad to hear that you and Paula are home, safe and sound.  Well, sound body anyway.  You did buy a bus; no, two buses!  What can I say?  It was a pleasure meeting you in Roanoke. 

You will see Laryn's post on the board regarding the tragic loss of his cousin.  We will surely get together again in the future.  Thanks again for sharing your wisdom regarding my potential "new" bus.  I'll keep you posted.
Dennis 

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 07:08:13 PM »

we're glad you're back.  Florida/Arcadia are probably not the same without you around, and i know there'd be no point in us coming down for the rally without you and Paula making sure it was done right.  I'm sorry you were unable to make it up to Ohio or that we were unable to meet you at Ray's.
impressive statistics!  who's reading and recording all those guages while you're driving?  i sure haven't talked my better half into tracking that much info.  guess i really do need to slow to 55 to save a couple gallons.

Did you get my email question about the transfer switch?

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 08:33:24 PM »

Glad we were able to see you, even if it was for a short impromptu time.  Always a pleasure.  Did i here ring of moving plans?  any revealable Ideas?  Good luck with your endeavors.

Did you use the Surface temp gage on the bearings and tires? 

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
4104GA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 08:38:59 PM »

Jack and Paula.  Glad you had a safe trip and arrived back home safe.  We enjoyed the time we got to spend with you both and look forward to seeing you again.

Sam N Sandy
4104GA

Enjoy your ride
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 10:02:38 PM »

Thanks for stopping in Roanoke and putting up with my excitement. In my eyes you guys are like superstars in the conversion community. Hope to visit with yall again.

Laryn

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Its the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 05:48:02 AM »

Thanks for stopping in Roanoke and putting up with my excitement. In my eyes you guys are like superstars in the conversion community. Hope to visit with y’all again.

Laryn

THEY ARE SUPERSTARS!

Anyone that can make you feel that good & welcome is definitly superstar material! I want to be a better person after spending time with Jack & Paula.

I consider myself lucky to know them & count them as friends.  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: