Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 02:33:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you Model Railroad in a Bus ?  (Read 2558 times)
superpickle

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2007, 04:47:44 PM »

Sorry if you thought I was going to Tell you. I want to know if there is anyone out there Doing that..
How does it work out ?

I know N or Z would be best, But i have Loads of HO Logging Locos and stuff.. So I want to use all my Hyslers, Climaxs and Shays !!!!  Grin

Razz

Paul...

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
belfert

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 05:09:21 PM »

Enclosed trailer?  45 footer with a layout inside?

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 05:15:01 PM »

Paul,

Lets get creative.

How about a cool track that runs around the upper contour of the wall to ceiling transition.

Goes through the cabinets (painted like tunnels) and makes a loop through the bus.

You can make the shelf with all the trees etc glued on.

Do each room/part of your bus like a old parlor car etc.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 05:26:20 PM »

Paul,
I'm an HO collector too.  No layout, just a collection.  I've seen an article somewhere, (in BC Magazine, I think) regarding a bus conversion owner who installed a slideout near the top of one bus bay.  On the slideout, he had built his N-gage layout.  That worked for him.  Another idea is to display your collection without actually building a working layout.  Of course, you could always use one or two sections of a collapsible table, much like a modular layout.  You're gonna want to consider roof a/c units, I'm thinking, to conserve bay space for your train stuff.  I'll be interested in knowing what you decide.
Dennis 

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Songman

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 05:39:12 PM »

I like the idea of a track running around the perimeter of the bus. Merle Haggard used to have a setup like that in his house. Of course, in the bus would be more difficult. Merle used to say that he could get on the intercom and tell his wife to send him a drink and it would come through the walls on a flat car for him to pick up.
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 05:53:33 PM »

As I recall, from when my kids were into HO trains, a pretty decent layout out would fit on a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood.  I can visualise such a layout hinged about 4 + feet up on a living room wall allowing it  to drop down along the wall for more ordinary uses of the space.  Another possibility is in the rear cap over the engine.  It's all in what you want.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 06:47:05 PM »

Do each room/part of your bus like a old parlor car etc.

Cliff

DANGIT Cliff, that was my idea!!!

I love the look of the old parlor cars (i.e. the ones at Strasburg, PA).  Put that look in a 4107 and you got it!

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »

Mr. Superpickle...I wonder how many of the folks that read this post said..."What's a Shay?"
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 08:36:55 PM »

I guess he doesent have a henway to go with it.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 08:40:31 PM »

Well, Im thunkin more on a Shelf layout. Around in the Bedroom compartment. U shaped and running Logging trains.. Lots of trees and Mountains.. I plan on a Single bed across the back and Desk on one side , wordrobe on the other with drawers and stuff.. 
The RR shelf wouldnt be more than 18 inches wide running 3 walls. It would have to be far enough down from the ceiling , say chest high or so. to have mountains. 
Do like the idea of the old Parlor Club Car design.. with the neat little Sash curtains and the Dark cheery wood like paneling.
Hummmmmm  Roll Eyes gots me thunkin now ..  Grin 

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 08:42:26 PM »

Mr. Superpickle...I wonder how many of the folks that read this post said..."What's a Shay?"

I know what a Shay is!

But I ain't agonna tell nobody!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 08:46:18 PM »

Jack

Oh , and I suppose they ALL knew what i was talking about when i said "Climax"  Wink
Go to Ebay. Type in "HO Shay Locomotive"

Better yet..

for the SHAY..
http://toys.search.ebay.com/Shay_HO-Scale_W0QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfclZ3QQfgtpZQQfposZ88352QQfromZR2QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQlopgZQQsacatZ19128QQsadisZ200QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs

or
for the Climax
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&fcl=3&from=R10&satitle=Climax&sacat=19128%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=88352&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

or
for the Hiesler
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&fcl=3&satitle=+Heisler+&sacat=19128%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=88352&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

Grin
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 08:49:25 PM by superpickle » Logged

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 09:53:32 PM »

So very cool! Itís nice to know that Iím not the only one that would one day like to combine busses and model trains. I have a layout that I am working on for my oldest son. If I am lucky he might get to see it finished before I die. I like the idea of a slide out from a baggage bay. A while back I made the mistake of subscribing to Model Railroading. Those layout scenes look real! At times it takes the wind out of my sales because I want mine to look like theirs, and I just donít have that kind of time, skill or money.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
jdr

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 01:26:11 AM »

That HO track going through the cabinets and over the top of the windows on the shelf you guys are talkin about,,, already doin it and yes there will be a Shay. Jim
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 04:11:16 AM »

Then you can set up a train of tanker cars to haul water from the kitchen to fill the toilet tank. Reflush times won't be fast, but the coolness factor would make up for that.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: