Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 05:23:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a good gasket sealant for a radiator core?  (Read 1366 times)
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2007, 06:35:59 AM »

I'm getting ready to put my radiator back together with the new core, does anyone have a recommendation for a good sealant, the gaskets are cork not rubber!  Thanks          Pat

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 08:39:45 AM »

None- don't put any sealer on the gaskets and don't over tighten the bolts.

Don
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 08:45:58 AM »

I respect Don's experience. 

However, I have always used Loctite or Permatex Aviation Gasket Sealant with very good results.   It is harder to clean-up though, when/if you take it apart.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 09:06:24 AM »

Pat , JJ put me onto some stuff he uses called Permetex Aviation Form-a-Gasket part no. 3H. I'm sure its the same stuff Ed Roelle suggested.

It can be thinned with denatured alcohol and is resistant to high octane gasoline, oil,and grease up to 400 deg. F. also fuel oil, kerosene, butane, hot and cold water and  anti-freeze.

It will not harden.

On the cork it will hold it in place while assembling. If you only apply it to one side it makes dissasembly easier.

My can is a 4 oz can but probably comes in larger sizes.  Knowing Portsmouth, you might have to call around to find some.

I'd come down to check on you, but I'm working till 9PM nightly with only Sunday off to spend with my grandchildren.

Today I'm installing the holding tank, after a trip to Lowes.

Ed
Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 04:07:45 PM »

I use a little bit of Permatex Hi Tack adhesive/sealant to help hold tank gasket in place.
Available in brush or spray styles.
I use teflon tape or liquid teflon sealant in drain valve and plugs.
Don't overtighten the tank bolts, check them all twice.
Good luck with your repair.  Cool
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 04:19:29 PM »

The trouble with Permetex Aviation Form-a-Gasket is that is sometimes makes the gasket so slippery that it squeezes out when tightened.

If you use it, don't pile it on, and let it dry really well before installing it.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: