Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 02:51:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Web Picture site?  (Read 1071 times)
maria-n-skip

« on: August 15, 2007, 02:51:41 PM »

It seems I have more pictures than work done and I would like to do some posting.

There are services out there that are free to cost money. Seem a lot here have there personal favorites.
  Some are here today and gone tomorrow..  Sad

I spend all day on the computer and really don't want spend my nights working on my own web sight.

What do you busnuts think is a good photo posting site and why?

Thanks

Skip
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 02:57:07 PM »

Skip,

I have a place on my own site to post all the photos you want. Free, max size of upload is 10Mb, secure, no spam, just log in and create an account.

http://busphotos.busconversionstuff.com/photo/
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 05:59:47 PM »

lets see, 10 mb space  at about 700k per picture, thats about 15 pictures, not a huge amount.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
maria-n-skip

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 06:05:10 PM »

H3Jim,

I didn't realize Dallas had a posting site available. Don't know if 10Mb is per folder or per user.

Either way I appreciate the offer and I should not squander others resources.

Ok so maybe this thread does but I am wanting to do something with my fuzzy pixys

I realize this site allows picture posting section but was hoping to have at least something finished
 before I posted.

Skip
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 06:09:13 PM by maria-n-skip » Logged
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 06:11:15 PM »

And maybe he pictures can be cut down or maybe they are not that large.  About 700k is the typical size of a picture from camera bought in the last year or so.  From a camera bought 5 years ago, maybe 300k per, so now it gets more interesting.

Yes, Dallas has made a nice offer, so I should probably not berate it.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
maria-n-skip

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 06:18:02 PM »

Jim

My typical is 1.7 Mb  It would probably take at least 1 hour per picture with
 500+ pictures oh lord I'll be feeble from old age before I got this done. Yep I'll have to re-format.

I didn't think you were berating just pointing out some of the realities.

Skip
Dallas

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 08:11:44 PM »

The amount of space is unlimited. The size of each upload is limited to 10Mb, other wise the server thinks it's under attack and goes into a fetal position.

I can also set it up for batch uploads but I haven't messed with that function yet so that may take a little time to sort out. I think it's basically an ftp upload port.

If you have Adobe Photoshop 6.0 or newer, you can click on file> save for web> and pick the amount of resolution you want to keep. that will reduce the size of the file without reducing the size of the picture.

Dallas
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 08:16:53 PM by Dallas » Logged
Songman

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 08:22:19 PM »

Wow! You guys post some huge pictures! Pictures that I use on websites are somewhere between 75-125k. Remember that there are still people in the world who don't use broadband. Having to wait 5 minutes for a huge picture to load can be really frustrating.

Yeah, you have to downsize your pictures that are high-res in your camera but it makes the internet world easier on everyone. There are programs that will do bulk reducing to save you time.

Anything over 72dpi is wasted on the internet, and most monitors won't show over 96dpi anyway so it is just bulk for nothing. And anything over 800x600 is usually considered too big to post on the web. I do most of my stuff at 640x480. Believe it or not, there are still people using that low setting on their monitors.

If you reduce your pictures accordingly, you'll save yourself time in uploading, save server space, keep from uploading data that is too much for most monitors to show, make the servers where you post the pictures load faster, and also help out people who still use dial-up.

But it is awful nice of Dallas to offer that space. Kudos to you, Dallas!

This is a 640x354 picture at 72dpi. The file size is 74.34kb.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 08:24:11 PM by Songman » Logged
maria-n-skip

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 08:52:48 PM »

Songman,

Like Fieros but this would be more apropos

I do see what you mean about size

Skip
Songman

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 08:58:57 PM »

Yeah.. I see what you mean...  Wink

I just grabbed the first picture I came to for illustration purposes...

How about this one? This is the old Super Chief before the DL3 took it's place.

Picture size:
500x348
72dpi
50.61kb

Your picture is good too... size wise. I've had enough Fieros without putting it on the bus though! haha
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: