Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 12:52:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Directv or Dish?  (Read 2946 times)
DR

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2007, 11:09:33 PM »

We have not had tv for 5 years? Hard to belive I know!  But by question is which is better or why do you like Dish or Directv over the other?  You could call this a poll but please respond with the pros and cons!!   Thankyou so much!!  DR
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 11:21:21 PM »

We have directv.  I have found that we find the signal easier than people with dish in a lot of places.  We pull a receiver our of the house and plug it in in the bus. I know a number of people that have dish at home, and their main complaints have been the customer service and billing screw ups. You are calling India for customer service with Dish.

Don and Cary
GMC4107

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 03:54:48 AM »

Hi Cary,

I have been with Direct TV since 95'. They now have me listed as a perferred customer. Which intitles me to a private phone number

that, when needed,  will always be a live person answering my calls that speaks proper english. [ no automation menus']  Now That's Service!

Along with not loosing our picture in over 5 years, and all the cool features we now have in the recievers. I'm not going anywhere!

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Dreamscape

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 04:04:02 AM »

We have Direct TV. Recently moved from CA to TX, called them up to hook up, done. No hassle, a couple of days, no charge. Have had them for 3 years, no problems whatsoever.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
rip

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 04:31:07 AM »

We are full timers and have had Direct TV for over 4 yrs. we no complaints.They have great customer service and I have no reason to try another service.
  Don
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 05:07:02 AM »

I belong to a camper club and have found here on the west that dish is easier to tune in and for RV use direct was always disconnecting and not updating the recievers so most use dish . Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 05:42:13 AM »

I used Direct TV for a couple of years in the house and on the bus. Then one day I fell for one of the offers on Dish Network. They assured me I could use their system in our bus, in a campground. Well for a year we tried and tried. After over a hundred phone calls to customer service they finally released us from our contract if I sent the equipment back. I immediately signed up for Direct TV again and we get satellite service any place we go, very easily, without calling customer service.

I would vote for Direct TV hands down. 100% no question.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Dave Siegel

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
baker4106

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 06:13:18 AM »

We had two Dish receivers in our house and took one on our RV when we went south for the winter.   When Dish found out that one was in our Rv, they shut one off and refused to turn more than one on even though we were paying for two.   When we returned home and put the receiver in the house they still refused to turn both on.   I have Direct now and am happy.    Larry 4106
Songman

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 06:57:23 AM »

We have DirecTV. Never actually used it on the bus yet but when we upgraded our dish recently I got the guy to leave the old dish for me. I figured I could put it on a portable tripod and use it until I can afford an in-motion dish later on. I told the guy exactly what I wanted to do with it and he said it would be no problem.
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 07:03:10 AM »

I have Dish and have had absolutely no billing screw ups or non-Engilish speaking customer support reps.  When I've called for customer service (with question), I've been prepared to wait, but I've never had to.  Perhaps Dish had some issues in the past, but I don't hear of a lot of problems now.  A forum I've found useful is http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php.  There are both DirecTV- and Dish Network-specific forums.  Dish can (or may) disable a box if it's not connected to a phone line, but this is avoidable with a $5 charge.  I have a spare receiver that I'm going to use in the bus when we're on a trip.  It'll be plugged in to a phone line at home.  FWIW, my aunt and uncle have put over 57,000 miles on their S&S RV over the past few years.  They've always had Dish.  I asked them a couple of weeks ago how much trouble they'd had with service or with obtaining a signal.  They've had no service problems and only issues with the signal when others (other RV'ers with Dish and DirecTv) did, such as in really shady locations with lots of trees.

David
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 07:06:26 AM »

Our first system was DISH. We had that system for a few years, then switched to DIRECT. In addition to much better customer service, we find it easier to find the satellite when setting up at a campground. At least in the Southeast, the DIRECT satellite is higher in the sky, so if you are camped near trees, it is easier to get a signal. We camped 2 different places where our neighbors were watching DIRECT, while we could not get a signal on DISH because of a row of trees. I called DIRECT yesterday to upgrade our home receivers to HD.  Like Nick, we are considered preferred customers, very friendly American girl on the phone confirmed that our new TVs are HD ready, took our order and confirmed an installation date. Only charge is a $20.00 handling charge. I asked the girl where she was located.  She said in West Virginia.  Jack  

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 07:31:09 AM »

Our first system was DISH. We had that system for a few years, then switched to DIRECT. In addition to much better customer service, we find it easier to find the satellite when setting up at a campground. At least in the Southeast, the DIRECT satellite is higher in the sky, so if you are camped near trees, it is easier to get a signal. We camped 2 different places where our neighbors were watching DIRECT, while we could not get a signal on DISH because of a row of trees. I called DIRECT yesterday to upgrade our home receivers to HD.  Like Nick, we are considered preferred customers, very friendly American girl on the phone confirmed that our new TVs are HD ready, took our order and confirmed an installation date. Only charge is a $20.00 handling charge. I asked the girl where she was located. She said in West Virginia. Jack 
I think you will find all WV girls like that. LOL
Richard
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 07:32:44 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 07:31:21 AM »

So what do you guys pay each month for the service?

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 07:51:33 AM »

$5 a month more for the additional receiver. (I have a reciever just for the bus) And about $6 a month for national networks. It the New York and LA feeds for ABC, NBC,CBS etc. That way we always get the local channels but they come with NY or LA commercials.

Dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
Songman

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 08:04:16 AM »

I don't even have my home systems connected to a phone line. They hooked them to the phones when they were installed but I unhooked them after I came home from a trip to find that anyone who had called me for the last week had gotten a busy signal. The culprit was the satellite boxes. When I first had DirecTV a few years ago I didn't leave the boxes connected to a phone line. From time to time it would tell me that it needed to make a call and I would connect it long enough for that. Since I upgraded I have had no such messages. They would have no way of knowing if the box was at my house or somewhere in the bus.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: