Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 06:29:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Directv or Dish?  (Read 3138 times)
DR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 08:25:54 AM »

Thankyou for the info!!  Great help!!  DR
DR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 08:31:02 AM »

Yes great question H3Jim, can I get an idea of what everyone is paying for service fees??  Thankyou again!! DR    This sure beats selling fruit on the freeway!!
Songman

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 08:34:39 AM »

I have three receivers (one is a DVR) and I have the Premier package with every channel. I pay right at $100 per month. The dish I kept that I will put on a portable tripod can handle up to 4 receivers so I figure I could take two from the house on the bus and have all I need.
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 09:35:33 AM »

They would have no way of knowing if the box was at my house or somewhere in the bus.

Actually, they (Dish) does know where the receiver's calling from.  They have my home number on file.  When my box calls in (how often or at what time I'm not sure).  They also know the number from caller ID.  If the two don't match, they know I've supplied my buddy, a family member, etc with a box for the $5 / month fee that I pay for an additional box.  It's a pain, but I can understand why they do it.  Also, Dish has Sirius, which is what I have in my cars.  This was an added plus.

As to what I pay per month... I have two twin-tuner receivers (4 tv's).  One is a DVR (for 2 tv's).  I have the 200+ channel package with no movie channels.  I pay around $47 per month for the first year.  It'll go up to $57 after the year's up.  I had Time Warner with rude customer service people in our area, was more expensive, and didn't help me get satellite for my bus. 

David
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 09:40:28 AM »

I had both Dish and DirecTV.  The only reason I chose DirecTV over Dish is because of NFL SUNDAY TICKET!!!

But I was very happy with Dish.  Customer service is very good.

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Songman

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 09:43:07 AM »

They would have no way of knowing if the box was at my house or somewhere in the bus.

Actually, they (Dish) does know where the receiver's calling from.  They have my home number on file.  When my box calls in (how often or at what time I'm not sure).  They also know the number from caller ID.  If the two don't match, they know I've supplied my buddy, a family member, etc with a box for the $5 / month fee that I pay for an additional box.  It's a pain, but I can understand why they do it.  Also, Dish has Sirius, which is what I have in my cars.  This was an added plus.

David

But my box doesn't call in. That is the point. I am not connected to a phone line. Sure, if I connected to a different phone line and it called in there would be an issue. But if I am using my box at home without a phone line or on the bus without a phone line is no different. Apparently you can't do that with Dish Network, but you can with DirecTV. The phone line really only comes into play if you want to buy PPV.

DirecTV doesn't have Sirius though. But they do have XM although I rarely use it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:46:06 AM by Songman » Logged
njt5051

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 10:28:39 AM »

FTA is also an option...http://www.al7bar.tk/Forums/
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 10:34:42 AM »

But my box doesn't call in. That is the point. I am not connected to a phone line. Sure, if I connected to a different phone line and it called in there would be an issue. But if I am using my box at home without a phone line or on the bus without a phone line is no different. Apparently you can't do that with Dish Network, but you can with DirecTV. The phone line really only comes into play if you want to buy PPV.

DirecTV doesn't have Sirius though. But they do have XM although I rarely use it.

Dish gives a $5 'discount' for connecting to a phone line, I believe they put it.  In other words, I can pay $5 extra and not have my receiver connected to a phone line.  That's why I'll plug it in when I'm at home.  They don't automatically disable your receiver if one call-in is missed.  When I calculated the cost between the two, Dish was much cheaper even if I added in the extra $5.  You're right about the PPV... that's the only functional difference.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 10:46:35 AM »

We have a total of 3 receivers (2 in the house & 1 in the bus). I think our DIRECT TV program package is the middle (not cheapest, not best) with no movie channels, but all local channels. We pay around $65/month. After they install our HD receivers next week, our monthly rate will increase by about $10.00. 
    We have never had a phone line connected to any of our receivers (we do not do PPV). Never had any problems with DIRECT TV because of this.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 11:30:32 AM »

Quote from: DrivingMissLazy
very friendly American girl on the phone confirmed that our new TVs are HD ready, took our order and confirmed an installation date. Only charge is a $20.00 handling charge. I asked the girl where she was located. She said in West Virginia. Jack 

I think you will find all WV girls like that. LOL
Richard 

But only if their Jealous big brother arn't sitting next to them ready to pounce you for mess'n with their girl! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 08:32:59 PM »

the latest satellite newsletter i received said Directv has the best service satisfaction rating of any tv supplier, cable, satellite or whatever.  i guess most people like Directv. 

personally, i prefer to watch the wildlife out in front of the awning.  hopefully non-human four legged like the rabbit family we watched tonight.  for free.

but if you have to have a satellite tv system, direct tv seems the best.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
DR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 06:19:58 AM »

Thankyou so much for the help!! DR
justin25taylor

1974 05 Eagle and 1986 10 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 07:50:35 AM »

I have used both. I can only speak for In-motion type systems.

If you have Tracstar the Direct seems to work better and drop out less often.

If you have Tracvision the Dish seems to work better. The old Tracvision systems need a little adapter on the back of the box for a serial cable to plug into.
I always preferred the "Dish" because I am more familiar with it.(Have it at home)
Dish also makes a UHF remote so you can flip channels from anywhere in the bus. Kinda nice when you are in the back and the box is in the front lounge.
Now days seems like all the coach converters are using 2 or 3 receivers.
It keeps the guys from fighting over what to watch:)

I do know that they all can be a royal pain. But they are great when they work.

Best,
Justin
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2007, 09:46:55 AM »

Dish also makes a UHF remote so you can flip channels from anywhere in the bus. Kinda nice when you are in the back and the box is in the front lounge

We purchased a "thing" at WalMart called a "Rabbit".  One part is plugged into a 120 V AC outlet near the bedroom TV, the other part is installed near the DIRECT TV receiver in front of the bus. You aim the remote at the "thing" near the bedroom TV and it controls the receiver in the front.  We are thinking about adding another one to the TV in the Bay.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: