Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 09:04:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: walkway, platform, folding place to stand on to clean tall windshields?  (Read 2134 times)
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2007, 07:43:56 AM »

I find I am always getting out a ladder to clean the large, tall windshields of my bus.  Has anyone made a walkway, platform, folding place to stand on the front so as to be able to reach all the windsheild for cleaning or putting on a window cover?  Probably crazy, but...

just using a squeegee with a handle works pretty well, but its never as effective as windex and paper towels.  or to re-apply rain-ex etc.

ideas/ flames?

I'll work all day to avoid a 5 minute repetitive task. and the storage space to store the ladder is also a minor issue.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:43:42 AM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
cody

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 07:53:49 AM »

We have a folding step stool we carry in a bay to clean the windshield, it's compact and just the right height for us.  I also carry a plastic pot scrubber to clean off the stubborn bugs before I hit the windshield with windex.
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:18:45 AM »

Here's your answer

Classic GMC Motorhomer's have been using thse for years

Ragusa make great aluminum products - mainly for GMC M/H but applicable to main other RVs

see-->
http://www.ragusarv.com/
then look for-->
RV-40 - Bumper Steps 
RV 95 - License Plate Bumper Step
RV 21-R Bumper Steps

Pete RTS/Daytona   (The RTS TRANSIT BUS is -- The Classic GMC Motorhome's --> little BIG brother)

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:19:40 AM »

One bus I saw had a folding step, like from Camping World, mounted on the front bumper. A plaque or something like that on the bottom of the step when it is folded could probably improve the appearance.
Richard

We have a folding step stool we carry in a bay to clean the windshield, it's compact and just the right height for us.  I also carry a plastic pot scrubber to clean off the stubborn bugs before I hit the windshield with windex.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:36:59 AM »

Do you have a folding step ladder Jim. I bought one in Yuma for 100 bucks, it folds up to 4" x 4" x 7' lg and fits crossways in the bay. It's made by GPlogictics.
http://secure.ultracart.com/catalog/rvtoy/maintenance/ladders/index.html
Ron
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:54:10 AM »

Ron, I've been looking at those, probably get one, less space than my home depot 7 ft ladder.  I was just thinking that it might be nice to have somehthing fold down that didn't look too ugly or create a wind whistle, and would be convenient.  I find I am always cleaning those big windows and just looking for the most effiecient way.

Pete, thanks, that site looks pretty good to bookmark.  I"m not sure my bumper is high enough to reach the upper windshields.

I will also sometime be adding a roof deck, and probalby have a ladder that's stored up top that will be used to go up through the front escape hatch.  But what hassle to have to get that down each time to do windows.  So maybe that folding ladder is the ticket.

Thanks

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Busnut83

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 12:34:10 PM »

I bought an adjustable scaffold from Home depot $59. 20" to 30".... They also have a 20" for $34...

Just my 2cents

H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 12:36:53 PM »

is that like a bench that you stand on?

Jim Stewart

Busnut83

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 01:29:19 PM »

Yes,,, the legs fold and adjust...
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 02:00:45 PM »

I use a roll around ladder that I got at auction from our local military base. It is 8 ft tall and works on all the windows and roof. It rolls nicely and you can even set the brake so the whole ladder is "on the ground". Look around your area for a military surplus store they seem to carry these items. Works around the house too! A storage issue for sure!

Grant
Sacramento

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 02:05:04 PM »

Sounds great for home use, but for those trips it seems like it could be awkward.   Thanks. 

Jim Stewart

grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 03:41:16 PM »

Come on Jim, haven't you heard of a toad? Grin Grin

Sure it aint pretty but very handy when you need clean windows!

Good point

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 03:50:40 PM »

Hi Jim,

How about a set of theese......

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 04:22:53 PM »

I use a 6' ladder which stands on its side in the front bay nestled on the rear bulkhead. I also use this to add antifreeze. I had a two stepper but my balance is not what it once was, even once.
I also use a RV wash brush on a broom stick to wash/scrub the bugs, followed by a squeege. I use the ladder for the final clean and rainX application.

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 04:31:45 PM »

I carry a an aluminum folding platform sold at most big box lumber stores, it stands about 20inches high and approximately 40 inches long when the legs are folded down. It is very stable and its perfect for cleaning he windshields. When folded up the whole thing is only about 7 inches high, by 40 inches long and weighs about 15 lbs. perfect for the bus, or in the house painting ceilings or changing lightbulbs.
Costs about $30.00
And another good thing about the platform is that it works really good for setting food out while using the grill, if you spill something on it you just hose it off.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 08:03:53 PM by JimC » Logged

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
captain ron

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 11:22:38 PM »

On MCI and GMC the front bumper folds up. You could make a brace to help support it better and bang there you go. I may research that a little more.
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »

Alas, my bumper folds down, and my windshields are so high that I need more than 20" high to stand on.  More like 48" to reach the top.  Maybe that folding ladder is the best bet.

Jim Stewart

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 07:52:42 AM »

On MCI and GMC the front bumper folds up. You could make a brace to help support it better and bang there you go. I may research that a little more.

Ron not all MCI bumpers fold up, 96A's !02A's, B's, C's, D's, E's, and up (basically anything after a "9") the bumpers fold down! And most even make a great step, but way too low for TALL windshields like what Jim and I have! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: