Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 14, 2017, 12:17:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Co-pilot set-up opinions  (Read 2400 times)
maria-n-skip

« on: August 27, 2007, 09:55:30 AM »

On a MCI 8 the passenger side has an approx 6" rise from the center walk way.

I have been toying with the idea of dropping that rise to be even with the center walk way
   Just for the co-pilot area.

1. How far back can I reasonably go?
   2. Would there be anything that I will adversely affect?

Thought and opinions appreciated.

Skip
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 11:37:30 AM »

Oh Skip, how you tempt me...but then I don't know your co-pilot.  After a year of repeating the question, rejecting most of the answers because they were totally irrelevant to the question asked..I have determined that my co-pilot is not only Directionally Challenged but when it comes to Map Reading and Comprehension she's a great quilter! Lips Sealed

So now I have 2 co-pilot chairs which I will be offering for sale in the near future and have purchased a second couch, this one for the passenger side of the bus.  Whether or not it has physical restraints attached to it is still up in the air.  I might certainly have something like a tennis ball with some shock cord attached for those moments I wish to have a long deep discussion with that pleasant voice on the GPS. Roll Eyes

With tongue eternally fixed in-cheek.....

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
captain ron

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 12:06:03 PM »

I think most of us fill in the center isle. I can't see any good point to lower the co-pilot seat because you will restrict some of their view. also you would be talking "down" to your co-pilot and we all know where that will lead.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 01:09:09 PM »

I think you will find that if you try to lower that area, you will be into your wheel well.  As said, most (including us) filled in the center walkway.  I did weld a couple pieces of 1/2" plate steel to the framing under the wood floor, before repacing that piece of flooring.  That gave us a secure attachment point for the co-pilot seat pedestal.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
maria-n-skip

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »

Thanks,

Jack I didn't think the wheel well was that high...thanks before I cut things up and do a OH shoot!

Capt. Ron  Yep lead me right to the next exit!

Bob   Thank you for  resisting temptation.... As a side note I taught my co-pilot quilting basics she can
          sew a wedding dress but never got the concept of geometric designs and square corners.....I'll leave that
          alone..
          Send me a pic of the capt chairs if you get a chance

Skip

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 08:10:13 AM »

Probably totally irrelevant since I have a transit with a big wheel well-but I mounted the co-pilots seat as far forward as I could with the cushion even with the stair well.  Then made a trap door that swings down from the front of the bus to cover it.  When it is up it has the grab handle on the underside. When down covers the stairwell.  The seat is a bit too high, so I have a step stool for anyone short that sits there.  I used the old door actuator to make a remote control trap door raise that operates from the old door controls at the drivers seat.  I also did the same thing on the back door that leads into the bathroom.  But there I just used a push button to operate the actuator.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
maria-n-skip

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 10:05:15 AM »

TomC

That is what I was thinking when I posed the question.
    Do you have any pictures of it both up and down and actuator?

Thanks Skip
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 08:27:58 PM »

Here's two pictures of the front door trap-one up and one down.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom, I tried to display your pic, but the pdf file won't let me.
Nick-
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 03:38:35 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 08:29:17 PM »

Let's try the other pict

maria-n-skip

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 08:48:17 PM »

TomC,

Thanks!

Nice job.

I like the idea and use of the air actuator and for my parents a hand rail will be a necessity.

Skip
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: