Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 06:28:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the max angle for... uhh... toilet tube. ;)  (Read 4677 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2007, 04:30:43 PM »

I just got back with my new "turd tank" (can I say that? Grin ) lolol
  It looks like I'm going to have a slight angle for the "drop"  Cheesy (this is killin me!). How much is allowable?
  Trust me, if there is ANYTHING I want to get right and NEVER have to touch again, this is it!!  Tongue But it looks like the angle may be as much as 40*. It looks like the "slide"  Cheesy will be about 15". I know straight is ideal, but it would be tough to get any better angle.
  Will it work?? What's your best guess? Should I have a can of PAM or WD40 next to the throne?? Or just eat lots of salsa? LOLOLOLOLOLOL  I did see a coach with a sink sprayer next to it. I think that may be a good idea either way.
  Oh man........... I'm so nervous about this I can't even get serious for fear I'll puke!  Tongue    Wink

Have mercy on me,
         Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 04:39:58 PM »

Chaz,

I would see if there is some way to get a steeper angle on the drop. I used an offset flange with a 6" drop and every once in a while I still have to get Cat's favorite knitting needle out to "nudge" the brown trout into the pool.

Shhhhh.... don't tell her!

Plop!! Plop!!
Fizz Fizz
Oh, What a relief it is!
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 05:01:48 PM »

Chaz,
   The RVIA code allows a single 45 degree offset in the 'drop'.  They don't limit the amount of offset, it's just got to be at 45 degrees.   I too have an offset, mine is only affset about 4" with 2 45 degree fittings. Haven't had any 'stickers'  yet but we havent used it a lot either.  You gotta do what you gotta do.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120 
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 05:17:22 PM »

straight is preferable. Then you can shine a flashlight into the throne and see how full the tank is. But I and others have ended up in the same shituation. I have seen the distance between potty and tank as much as 2 feet!! Mine is a 12 inch drop about 4 inch off center. Accomplished with 2 45 degree street ell's and a fernco. With no problems in 6 years.
 The Things you need to take into consideration, not much will stick to PVC so within reason if the water will flow, so will the poop (dont eat a lot of starches) The less angle the more water will be required to move the product.
 The more angle and the longer the run the less chance you have of inserting a tank cleaning wand. I installed a 3 inch cleanout near the top of my tank.
 HTH Jim
 While we are at it. In hindsight I would vent my tank with a tee as near the bottom of the toilet as I could. The gases rise most go out the vent, but the pipe between the toilet and the tank is a perfect collection point, you flush the toilet, you release the gas!! Some people say this is never a problem. Cant smell I guess.
 I saw how people were putting there drains out therough the floor of the bay and thought it was a great idea. Its not, it has been a real PIA. I am sitting in a RV park in Cape Coral FL, where the sewer pipe is above the floor of the bay. I have to play with the hose for 20 minutes every time I dump and I may be here for a year. It is no fun at dump stations where the pipe is up high either. There has got to be a better way!!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 05:31:25 PM »

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
   Aaaaahhhhhhh s**t!!!!!!! What's a poor boy to do??  Undecided   I'm going to try and do the install tomorrow so if there is any tricks that I can do, PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE let me know! Why couldn't we all be like rabbits?? LOLOL
  By the way, the tank I have will be easy enough to clean when necessary. But I have been following the "Black tank cleaning" thread and it seems that a person doesn't want to keep it perfectly clean. And since it seems that "everything" contains lye, would it be a good idea to drop some yeast or yogurt or whatever in there to keep a good colony poop munchers?  Just a thought.  Huh

Thanx for the help on such a sh**ty topic,
        Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 06:03:06 PM »

Chaz

Just be sure to have a connector between the toilet and tank.

I have an offset in my installation also and have had no problems.

Good Luck

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Dallas

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 06:40:45 PM »

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
   Aaaaahhhhhhh s**t!!!!!!! What's a poor boy to do??  Undecided   I'm going to try and do the install tomorrow so if there is any tricks that I can do, PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE let me know! Why couldn't we all be like rabbits?? LOLOL
  By the way, the tank I have will be easy enough to clean when necessary. But I have been following the "Black tank cleaning" thread and it seems that a person doesn't want to keep it perfectly clean. And since it seems that "everything" contains lye, would it be a good idea to drop some yeast or yogurt or whatever in there to keep a good colony poop munchers?  Just a thought.  Huh

Thanx for the help on such a sh**ty topic,
        Chaz

You will build up natural enzymes to chomp the turds, but you could add some "Rid-X" if you had to.
My black tank is steel.... an ex-step tank in a "D" configuration from an old truck. I don't know if it's dirty in there or not, but I ain't stickin' MY hand in there to find out! It's fine the way it is. I never empty it until it's about full, which is usually about once per week. That way the natural enzymes get to swim and frolic amongst the trout, doing their jobs, having lots of fun.

Just my way.

Dallas
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 06:41:16 PM »

Chaz,
   Just don't put things that kill the 'munchers' in the black tank.  You'll have a colony of 'munchers' soon after commisioning the black tank.  Yogurt and yeast will help but eat the yogurt first and get the yeast from beer but drink it first.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 06:46:14 PM »

Just be sure to have a connector between the toilet and tank.
 What kind of connector?
  I will be drilling a 3" hole in the top of the tank and using a rubber bushing with a hose clamp. jjrbus mentioned a fernco. Is that the connector you are referring to?

I have been out playing with my new toy tonite - sad huh - and if it's not feasible to do it this way, I will have to redo the water tank and put the waste tank in it's place.  Cry Not something I was wanting to do as I need to get it done sooooooooon. And that also means I need to pull out the vanity and move the toilet over to that spot, etc. Major.  Undecided  I need to check my drawings first.

Time to sleep on it,
            Chaz

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 06:49:24 PM »

Yogurt and yeast will help but eat the yogurt first and get the yeast from beer but drink it first.
  I'll drink the beer and Linda can do the yogurt!  Grin  Ok, well, I don't drink beer anymore. I guess wine will have to do!! LOLOL Cheesy
    Chaz

captain ron

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 06:54:20 PM »

Putting it straight up and down is not real good either as you may get some splash up through the toilet. A bowl full of water will certainly wash anything down up to a 45 degree angle. Putting a cleanout towards the base area will help also. Just make sure it's a 45 degree angle and a screw on cap.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 06:58:13 PM »

My tank doesn't have a vent, the top flap is loose and it vents there (It appears to be a farm tractor spray tank). I know, I know-but that's the way the PO built it. Amazingly enough I've had no problems with it so far but do plan to run a vent through the floor.

Another really weird thing is that the commode is on the opposite side of the bus from the tank (one tank only) and the long sewer pipe (About 3') from it to the tank has very little slope!! According to everything I've read this won't work but it does, even on an opposite slanted parking spot?? And there are two 90* Ls in the liner??

This thing defies all common sense but works fine.

The only thing I can figure that makes it work is that we always use plenty of water to flush, good for the flushing and good for the one waste tank.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Sojourner

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 07:26:53 PM »

JR….About the difficult of dumping waste tank via gravity problem….would like to know why are you not use your macerator pump to dump? Maybe I missing something or reading it wrong.

Chaz…..If your tank is Polypropylene like most RV tank…….you can re-patch the offset hole by sawing & grind off the old thread portion. Plastic weld ¼” plate large enough to cover both the old hole & where new location of new to be “hole”. Then have it “spin-weld” it on your new sewer fitting for a straight down path.

Or if you can…turn tank around so that new “spin-weld” fitting is install in correct location & plug the old one.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:30:43 PM by Sojourner » Logged
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 07:59:30 PM »

The black rubber connectors, elbows, y's with stainless steel clamps on each end are what I call "fernco" fittings.
 Jerry I have my drainhose hooked up to the sewer for the grey bypass and do not want to unhook it then use the macerator, clean everything up and rehook, put evrything away and then do it all agaain next time.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 11:53:43 PM »

I can tell you that too much worry is expelled over the solids running down hill.  I have about a 6 inch drop under the toilet with a 90 degree, then going about three feet to another 90 degree into my black tank.  In the 12 years the toilet has been in, only once did it clog-mainly because my then girlfriend (now wife) didn't use enough water to flush-nothing a bucket of water didn't take care of.  I have a 45 gal black water tank and can easily go a week without dumping with the two of us on board.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: