Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 04:52:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the max angle for... uhh... toilet tube. ;)  (Read 4659 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2007, 10:08:31 AM »

A 2" vent thru the roof is the best way. I have seen vents thru the floor & the owners had no complaints. . . maybe their's don't stink?  Shocked (sorry, couldn't resist)

Straight shot = less water required.

The 1/4" per foot slope is the minimum to ensure flow - especially on long runs (like from the house to the street).

I have NEVER experienced the 'water leaving the solids behind' phenomen on steep sloped drains.

I have seen sloppy workmanship cause problems. So be sure you debur the ID of your pipe. & if you are using the lightweight 'foam core', be sure to coat the exposed foam on the end of the pipe with glue to seal it.

The grey water bypass to immediate drain is a great idea! That will simplify tankage!

So Chaz, do what fits your current needs. You can always change it around later after you have used it & then KNOW what your real needs are. My guess is you'll get used to what YOU have & it will be just fine!

RE: I push the pedal down on the toilet for the strait shot so it won't lift me off the seat
Dang NewbeeMC9, I didn't realize you were full of more $#!t than I was.  Shocked  Maybe you should see a Dr.

Remind me to park on the other side of the park from you.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2007, 01:56:30 PM »

jjr,

Increased temp also means increased pressure plus when the bus is moving it develops a negative pressure at the bottom, this vents the tank. Sewer gas coming out the bottom will quickly dissipate in the air and there isn't really much coming out except when the bus is moving and sloshing the waste around.

There is at least one BN who has posted here that his bottom vent has caused no problems or has had no odor. This is the way I'm going, I hate holes in the roof with pipes sticking up all over, looks tacky.

My small slope long pipe has not once clogged or slowed or left solids behind, even when of a reverse sloped parking spot.

My toilet has two pedals, one adds as much water as you want simply by pushing on it and holding, the other flushes.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2007, 02:49:37 PM »

RE: I push the pedal down on the toilet for the strait shot so it won't lift me off the seat
Dang NewbeeMC9, I didn't realize you were full of more $#!t than I was.  Shocked  Maybe you should see a Dr.

Remind me to park on the other side of the park from you.  Grin

I'm only fuller right before i go,  id rather it vent thru the roof than my teeth!!!  Grin:D Tongue  I guess I have too park on the other side regardless since i don't have an airstream. Shocked anyway your nose in the air is gonna catch the roof ventings anyway. Cheesy Wink 

couldn't resist. Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 09:36:29 AM by NewbeeMC9 » Logged

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2007, 02:52:51 PM »

Chaz,
     What are you doing for a tank vent??  Absolutely must have one!!  Best is 2" through the roof, usually hidden in the shower wall.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120

He could always light a match when he flushes!  Wink

Cheesy Grin   new roof raise technique. Cheesy

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »

Chaz, sounds like you are about to get your sh*t together. LOL
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2007, 04:38:47 PM »

I was going to post a picture of my toilet and tank set up with the tank in the middle of the bus and the toilet connected with two 90 degree turns, but Ron's setup (Prevost82) is just about the same thing.  It does work!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2007, 04:50:35 PM »

There is at least one BN who has posted here that his bottom vent has caused no problems or has had no odor. This is the way I'm going, I hate holes in the roof with pipes sticking up all over, looks tacky.

I would rather hear from the people that have camped next to him, that it causes no problems Grin
 Now if you want to see "Tacky" I'll show you my saudi roof lit up with rope lite!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Dallas

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2007, 05:00:34 PM »

I would rather hear from the people that have camped next to him, that it causes no problems Grin
 Now if you want to see "Tacky" I'll show you my saudi roof lit up with rope lite!

Jim, I told ya,
Put some of those chasing Christmas lights up there
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2007, 05:12:46 PM »

I'm saving them for the CB antennas!!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2007, 09:53:52 PM »

1:00am.
  Stick a fork in my butt and flip me over........... I'm done!!  (for the night)
 Tomorrow I will hopefully continue on with my plan for the septic system. As near as I can tell from you guys, it could work. But as I said, if it doesn't, I'll just weld the holes back in and go north.
  I got a bunch done today on my electrical system also. I, personally, think it looks pretty good! But that doesn't mean it will work.  Wink  Wink  Wink   But it wouldn't be for lack of effort on Jerry Lieber's part!!!! He is a helluva guy. I'd be lost without his expertise. He has helped me every step of the way!!!!
  When all this is done- and if it works- I'll shoot some pix and post them.

Another day, another disposal system,
       Chaz

(ya bunch of freekin comedians!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy)

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2007, 09:13:25 AM »

I believe that the technical reason for an upwards sloping sewer vent is that methane gas, which is explosive, builds up in the tank as a byproduct of decomposition.  Methane gas is lighter than air and escapes through the roof vent.  Any part of the vent that slopes downward will trap methane gas as it tries to escape and a vent through the floor would trap a whole tank full of methane gas.

Also, that trapped gas will cause a very slight pressure increase in the tank.  Just enough to give you a nose full when you flush.

Ross
gus

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2007, 03:06:28 PM »

jjr,

You got me there, rope lights are even more tacky than roof vents, or maybe rope lights on roof vents!!

Ross,

You are probably correct when parked but underway there is neg pressure to empty the vent and even a slight breeze will do the job even when parked.

Microbes seem to prevent methane formation. A home septic tank has no vent and my personal experience is that the septic tank has absolutely no odor when the top is opened.

I wish the guy who has the bottom vent would post again but I don't remember who it was.

OK, amazingly for me, I found the post. It is from Ace on 30 May '07 and the part about the vent is quoted here;

"Bottom line is, I get no smell returned back thru the toilet. My vent is on the opposite side of the toilet inlet of the black tank and it goes DOWN thru the bay floor where as most vents go upward! ONLY smell I get once in a blue moon is when I forget to run water in the shower when it is parked for long periods of time. The "P" trap goes dry and allows an odor thru the shower drain but as soon as I run the water, it's gone gone gone! Remember, I have ONE tank for both gray and black!"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 03:15:09 PM by gus » Logged

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »

upward sloping vent is in case water gets in from the top, it will not sit there and grow things, or worse, plug it up.  everything should be down hill toward the tank.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2007, 02:14:21 PM »

!!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!!!!

OK, since we were on the road this weekend with my new "plumbing", I had to see if the theory of it "lifting me off the seat" was in fact a truth................................. Nope! I'm happy to report. I had to bribe Linda into going back there and doing the research for me while I was driving down the road and it all worked well and no smell.
  Again, what I did was drop a 1 1/2 tube down thru the floor so you can see about a half inch under the bus on one side of the tank and a 2" tube on the other side of the tank with a 45* angle under the floor, facing backward, to try and get a "suck" out of it.
  I will need to get someone to drive my bus while I try some other experiments on it while driving down the road (IE. using an incense stick or even a cigarette to see if it will suck the smoke down, etc.). Linda won't "man the helm" while I do my experimentations.
  But for now, it looks like it's going to work.
  When I get caught up, I'll shoot some pix of my latest adventures (read- experiments) IN my bus!  Wink
    Smellin good in the neighborhood,
         Chaz

P.S.  Are all, shall we say "turd transfer tubes" the same?? Or are there better ones for dumping your tank into dump stations??
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 02:29:16 PM by Chaz » Logged

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2007, 10:02:11 PM »

I have my tanks vented through the bottom of the bus ... I've never had any smell in the campsite.
Ron
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: