Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 01:24:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: speed governor- (not wife)  (Read 2292 times)
ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 07:25:19 PM »

No one but several of you folks said anything about recklessly flying down mountains.I asked a mechanical question and got blasted. I tried to humbly get out of it but I see that did not work.
I am the slowest vehicle descending all steep grades not a reckless fool as many of you suggest.
How many of you do not accelerate at the bottom of a hill to gain advantage on the next?

I  frequently visit this site and appreciate it because of the years of knowledge and experience it offers. Although I got some well intentioned and good advice ,both mechanical and other,several of you are out of line. Tomas

maria-n-skip

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 07:52:05 PM »

Sorry

It was not my intention to blast you. More my own sop box
 for people to be safe.

Skip
Dallas

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 08:12:08 PM »

Chill out ttomas,

We have all been trying to tell you in humorous and other ways, what you are proposing is dangerous and deadly.

Whether you drive slow down the hill or not, if you aren't in control of your vehicle, you are a danger to yourself and others.

With the question you asked, you let it be known that you weren't conversant with the whys and wherefores of downhill speed limits for heavy vehicles.

Question... Why do you need to top the hill at 70 instead of 35 anyway? is another few seconds going to make that much difference in the overall length of your trip?

About 20 years ago while I was driving for a flat bed company out of Fargo, ND. the boss asked 8 of us to try a test. He offered to turn 4 of the trucks up to maximum rpm and power (3406 and 3176 Cat engines), and turn the other 4 down to 58 mph.
Since he was paying the bills, and offered all of us a bonus for the test, we took him up on it. My truck was turned up to 81mph.
A friends truck was turned down.
We both ran identical loads from Bucyrus, Oh to Fresno, Ca.
I ran fast and hard, always a few hours of my log book and burning fuel at a furious rate. I could climb hills at just about any speed I wanted.
My friend, governed at 58mph ran his log book legally, climbed hills at 25 to 35 mphbut got almost 2mpg  better than I did.
He arrived in Fresno 4 hours and 15 minutes after I did, but got unloaded within ten minutes of me. He also was rested, ready to roll and still had hours left to play with.
For a distance 2450 miles, 4 hours isn't that much difference.
The moral here I leave up to you.

No your question was not stupid, none of them on this board are, but it does go to show that more education is needed by many newbies who want to run like a car or SUV. These vehicles are NOT either one.

Dallas
ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 08:31:28 PM »

You folks went on  about recklessly  flying down mountains, killing people and such. I asked a mechanical question and got blasted.
I tried to humbly get out of it but that did not work. I am among the slowest vehicle to descend steep grades.  How many of you do not accelerate at the bottom of a hill to gain advantage on the next?
   I frequently view this site because of the knowledge and experience to be gained. Some gave good advice mechanically and otherwise to my question, most were out of line. The question about one or two governors was never answered. Tomas

ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 08:33:12 PM »

I thought my last post was not posted. Thanks guys
maria-n-skip

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 08:42:44 PM »

There are two govenors.
 One for RPM and one for trans shifting. (for 99% of aplications)
 If you have a a computer controlled engine there is a top speed control
 but I doubt you would go that fast. 74 is not it. Some of the guys
 with the high tech engines could probably tell you what that is.

Skip
belfert

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 09:02:21 PM »

My Series 60 with DDEC III had the speed governer electronically set at 68 MPH.  I think I had Detroit disable the speed governer, or at least turned it up.  I don't intend to ever drive beyond 70 or 71 MPH, but I want to decide, not the computer.

Sorry, I know nothing about speed governers on mechanical engines.  If you have a DDEC, there may be a electronic governer like I have.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: