Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 01, 2014, 04:47:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which RV toilet has biggest seat under $250?  (Read 4050 times)
belfert

« on: August 25, 2007, 09:56:09 AM »

Which RV toilet has the biggest/most comfortable seat for under $250.  I have a Thetford Bravura now which isn't too bad, but it got beat up pretty bad by being in the bus during demo and construction.

The ultimate toilet for me would be the Thetford Aria with a seat the size of a household elongated seat, but the Aria at close to $500 is just too much money.

The ones I've been researching are the Sealand 500 Plus and the various Thetford Style toilets.  I would get another Bravura (or keep the current one for now) if it has the best seat.  Camping World has the Sealand 500 Plus on sale right now.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 11:45:45 AM »

I had a Sealand Traveler now I have a Aqua magic style plus. The Aqua is a much more comfortable toilet. Even the china bowl is eaiser to clean!!! I know 2 other people that have them and are happy.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

DebDav

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 03:24:54 PM »

I bought an Aria on ebay for $325.00.  Keep checking.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 05:50:19 PM »

This is being offered, "tongue-in-cheek".  How about the one that fits your butt? Undecided

There are very nice padded seats available at most retail stores which will make your 'extended reading periods' quite comfortable.  No reason to think that one would have to think in terms of the Manufacturers best offering of a hard, plastic picture frame (a little Redneck humor there). Cheesy

FWIW.....

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 05:55:56 PM »

Not to hijack, but what's a decent toilet that takes regular seats (they fit my butt just fine  Wink ), works well, and is reasonably priced? 

David
belfert

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 09:14:18 PM »

I'm looking at comfort in terms of the longest seat from front to back.  I don't care if the seat itself is hard plastic.

It sounds like the Thetford Style Plus will probably fit the bill as I can't see spending even $325 for an Aria.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 12:57:07 PM »

I have the Aria and I am very happy with it, it keeps itself pretty clean.  Haven't had to use Pam on it yet.  Thrifty with the water too.  Keep looking on ebay per Deb and Dav.  And yest, its very comfortable too. I'm not big on the plastic ones either. 

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 09:01:43 PM »

Ok, like I posted in another thread, I haven't had the pleasure of using an RV "throne" yet, but is there that much of an issue??? Just curious.

I still fit 29" waist jeans. I gotta be careful I don't fall in!
     Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 08:26:43 AM »

Belfert,
I just replaced the cheap plastic Sea Land I had with an Aqua Magic Style Plus. I have to say that I am impressed, it works great and the china bowl is a vast improvement.
I needed it quickly and just walked in a little RV store and paid 277.00 off the floor. I am sure that you can get a better price by shopping around. Size wise its much larger than the old one, and I would say just slightly smaller than a household unit. Well worth the extra money over the cheap plastic ones.
Jim   

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 02:01:03 PM »

Chaz,

as long as you sit sideways, you'll be alright. Grin

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Dallas

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 03:10:24 PM »

Chaz

I can sell you a nice Pine 4X4, smooth on 2 sides.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 04:25:11 PM »

I had to put some thought into this befor posting,I dont want to offend anyone, but what the heck. The worst that happens I get banned!!
 The size of the seat front to rear and side to side is not the issue. It is the depth of the bowl from waterline to family jewels. Huh With the Sealand china bowl I had to be careful or Mr Happy would go for a dip  Shocked With the style plus, I can relax as this is not a problem Cheesy
 I understand that this is more of a problem for gentlemen with 35 foot buses Grin  There did I offend anyone?

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 04:33:08 PM »

jjrbus, ROTFLMAO  Grin Grin Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 07:14:04 PM »

The size of the seat front to rear and side to side is not the issue. It is the depth of the bowl from waterline to family jewels. Huh With the Sealand china bowl I had to be careful or Mr Happy would go for a dip  Shocked With the style plus, I can relax as this is not a problem Cheesy
 I understand that this is more of a problem for gentlemen with 35 foot buses Grin  There did I offend anyone?

See Kyle, it's not just me,  I have the sealand china bowl too.  Brian, As stated on Chaz's thread, i push the pedal down when the train exits one tunnel so it goes strait to the next tunnel and doesn't lift me off the seat.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 07:35:57 PM »

I don't have that problem my bus is a 45'er ! LOL!

Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 08:03:38 AM »

29" waist?  Heck my thighs are that big (could wear a pair on each leg).  I have the Sealand traveler 510 that uses a standard household seat.  I believe that's as big as it comes.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 08:39:57 AM »

So which toilet has an optional "bushing" so I don't have to make one out of a piece of pine?  Grin Grin Grin It will also have to fit my girlfriend.
  By the way, I have a requirement for my girl friend: She has to fit the "gauge".  Roll Eyes Grin My friends ALL know the "gauge". ( make two fists in front of you, fingers down about 6" apart. Stick your thumbs out toward each other and touch them together. Stick both pinky fingers straight out in front of you so what you have is a "goal post" looking configuration laying horizontal. Her butt has to fit inbetween the pinky's!!!!!!!!!!!!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy!!!!!!!  LOLOLOLOL
  Or, she just has to be able to get into my jeans. LOLOLOLOL

Truth! )

Can you believe THIS post makes me a "Hero"!?!?!?!?!?!?  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
  Oh man, I'm crackin up here!!!! LOLOLOLOL

Time for lunch and some composure!!!
      Chaz Grin
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:58:16 AM by Chaz » Logged

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 02:55:34 PM »

Chaz-that's a little girl!  Guess I like mine more robust.  I'm afraid if my gal was that small, I'd squish her-I'm 6'3" and 305lb.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 03:35:19 PM »

Yeah, she's not too big!  Kiss  But then, obviously, neither am I.  Grin lolol

Glad to see you figured out the gauge! Wink Grin

Chaz

JimC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 05:10:47 PM »

TOMC,
You can still use the same gauge, you just have to stand back farther when you use it!
Jim

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »

Jim,

That is truly "thinking outside the box"    Grin

Cliff 

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 05:39:04 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Sorry guys, to truly use the gauge properly  Wink ya have to get right up to it!! lol
  Plus it's just plain fun!!!  Wink Grin Grin Grin Grin

Chaz

Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 08:51:48 PM »

After suffering for 6 years with "RV & Marine " sized toilets I couldn't take the abuse any more.

Thetford Aria all the way now and it is GREAT... No more plastic bowl and midget sized seats. No more leaky pedals and valves to worry about and no more worrying that the water will keep running because of some pedal problem.

It's big enough to actually FALL OFF of, Not FALL UP to the floor.
Your knees no longer hit your chin and hips don't creak anymore when you try to get up. Oh.. That numbness caused by a bad seat is now a thing of the past...

Sorry,

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
belfert

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 09:44:23 AM »

Not to hijack, but what's a decent toilet that takes regular seats (they fit my butt just fine  Wink ), works well, and is reasonably priced? 

It appears the Sealand 500 plus takes a regular household seat, but you'll want to confirm with Dometic.
belfert

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 09:53:19 AM »

After suffering for 6 years with "RV & Marine " sized toilets I couldn't take the abuse any more.

Thetford Aria all the way now and it is GREAT... No more plastic bowl and midget sized seats. No more leaky pedals and valves to worry about and no more worrying that the water will keep running because of some pedal problem.

Do you have the Aria Deluxe with electric flush or the classic with foot pedal?

It appears the Deluxe with electric flush has some issues with the water running continually if the circuit board blows.  The Aria Deluxe seems to have more complaints with overflowing and flushing issues than most of the non-electric toilets.  Maybe the Aria Deluxe II fixes these issues.

My plan right now is to order the Thetford Aria Classic unless someone has a good reason not to.  Yes, I know it is pricey and more than the $250 I planned, but it should last a long time.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 09:57:12 AM by belfert » Logged
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 07:18:22 AM »

I have the Aria full electronic one, Probably the deluxe, It's never given me a seconds trouble, I give it good water pressure and clean filtered 12 volt power.

Have almost 2 years use already and it gets used about 20 times a day. I did switch it to water saver mode recently due to a water shortage but otherwise I usually keep it in house mode which is fully automatic and uses a little more water. When I bought it wholesale it cost over $500 or maybe $600 and if I had to do it again I would buy the same product.
 The solid china unit is so much easier to keep clean. I am happy to see the plastic toilets go away, They are such a pain to maintain.

As a rule ( mine! ) I always filter the 12 volts to mission critical appliances and make sure that if using a converter that it has full-wave filtering and is set to the proper voltage.

90% of the problems with RV electronics is directly related to dirty or bad d.c. power, I have never had a ciruit board go out since I started using 2-way radio filters in the 12 volt circuits to critical things.

More later....

Dave....

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 07:27:28 AM »

I have never had a ciruit board go out since I started using 2-way radio filters in the 12 volt circuits to critical things

Dave,
  Can you give us more information on these?  Do you install this in line to each component you want to protect?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
belfert

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 07:51:53 AM »

What about the Magnum Opus?  Is this a good reliable unit?

Jake's RV Surplus has these for $300.  I would prefer a non-electric toilet, but the Thetford Aria Classic is $100 more and I need to cut back now that I found I need a new radiator core for big bucks.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 05:23:29 AM »

Quote from: belfert
What about the Magnum Opus?  Is this a good reliable unit?

Jake's RV Surplus has these for $300.  I would prefer a non-electric toilet, but the Thetford Aria Classic is $100 more and I need to cut back now that I found I need a new radiator core for big bucks.

Spend the $ now or spend it later! Buy what ya need/want now you'll be $ ahead, than to replace it later! Besides if I had your $ I'd use mine to start a fire!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 07:30:21 AM »

Jack,

There are a number of d.c. line filters. The most common ones are used for altenator noise filtering. They have a capacitor and usually an inductor inside that smooths out the chirps and chatters on a d.c. bus ( removes ripples and spikes ).

2-way radio systems use them in line to eliminate emi noise on the d.c. line to the radio. Now days car stereo systems use them to get rid of interference and balance out power fluctuations.

In buses the NJT transits and most others that ran revenue service with radios may have them in or near the old radio boxes and they are usually a small metal box with a red wire going in one end and out the other on a stud.

Look around at radio shops or any place that does high powered car stereos. They will have a supply of them or know where to get the best deal.

Dave.....

H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2007, 07:41:50 AM »

The capacitor will not pass any DC but they do pass AC. The smaller the cap, higher the frequency. They are wired to go from the positive termial to the negative one, so any AC in the line is shorted out. 

The inductor resists current change. There is a magnetic field around it as current passes through it. An increase in  current increases the magnetic field (and takes energy) and a decrease in current reduces the magentic filed and (puts energy back).  This would be wired in series to smooth out the power.

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
belfert

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2007, 08:46:32 AM »

Spend the $ now or spend it later! Buy what ya need/want now you'll be $ ahead, than to replace it later! Besides if I had your $ I'd use mine to start a fire!

You have this illusion I am made of money.  Yes, I spent more than many on my shell and such, but I don't have endless resources.  The new radiator has pretty much exhausted my bus funds for this year other than money to buy fuel for my upcoming trip.
belfert

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2007, 08:50:53 AM »

I'm probably going to buy the Aria Classic.  I'm waiting for calls back from a few surplus places to see if they have one.

The Magnum Opus seems like a good unit, but I found out it (and most electric toilets) take twice as much water to flush as most manual toilets.  I will mostly be boondocking, so water usage is important.
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2007, 08:53:29 AM »

and the Aria is very water efficient.  It also has the manual mode where it only squirts water as long as you hold the button down.  Keeps the bowl clean too, in spite of its miserly water usage.  Good long term keeper.

Jim Stewart

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: