Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 08:47:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting Exhaust & Insulation.  (Read 4701 times)
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2007, 10:43:37 AM »

I'm finishing up the cooling hose replacement (all of 'em) on my 8V-71.  I'm trying to keep track of all the hose sizes and locations for those who need to replace hoses or just want to purchase some as spares.  I removed the exhaust crossover pipe for easier access to some of the hoses and thermostats.  In doing all this, I've been cleaning and painting the engine.  So far, it's about the best looking 8V-71 I've seen lately!   Wink  I'll have to post pics of it when I'm finished.  It should be a lot easier to find leaks on a painted surface rather than a grease encrusted covering.  The crossover pipe and Y-pipe that lead to the muffler are naturally rusty.  Is there a paint that will hold up to the heat from the exhaust?  Is there any reason NOT to paint the exhaust, assuming I use the correct paint?  I'll  do the same for the generator exhaust pipes.  I'm thinking a little rust protection can't hurt and it would look a bit better. 

I'm also considering some of the exhaust insulation, but have read/heard that it can cause the pipes to not hold up as long.  Is there any truth to this?  It seems it would keep the engine bay a bit cooler and blow more heat out the tailpipe.  Again, I'd like to do this to the generator's pipes, as they get quite hot.  Thanks for any experiences or input.

David
maria-n-skip

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 10:59:43 AM »

Dave,

I have seen some picture of chrome cross overs... probably not the practical side your thinking about.
 You might consider stainless steel pipe if you are going to wrap the exhaust.

Expensive, local muffler shop should be able to make the bends and you can weld together;
  should last you a long time......

Just a thought
 Skip
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 12:51:23 PM »

David,

When are you gonna have the rocker covers chromed and the blower powder coated?

Oh, and there's always the airbox covers, you could chrome them too!

How about getting some of the braided colored hose covering that JC Whitney sells?

While your at it, you could have the exhaust heavy chromed and maybe have the alternator polished.

THEN, you could be like the hot rod kids and take the engine cover off!

Next you could add Raised White Letter Tires or even the Wide white sidewalls!

HHey! I can spend your money faster than you can make it!

Spinners, Chrome, Coon tails, Big antennas, Chicken lights, Chicken sticks, Wire wheels! The list is almost unending!

Cheesy Grin Wink Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin

oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 01:58:28 PM »

Spinners, Chrome, Coon tails, Big antennas, Chicken lights, Chicken sticks, Wire wheels! The list is almost unending!

Dallas, your inner "truck driver" is showing!!
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Dallas

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 03:58:46 PM »

Dallas, your inner "truck driver" is showing!!
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Tom, At least I didn't mention anything about a chrome sunvisor or a MACK dog with winky eyes on the nose of the bus!  Wink

http://www.75chromeshop.com/product.php?productid=4991&cat=1114&page=3

Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 06:48:12 PM »

Don't let that bunch of old fogeys making fun of you get to you, Dave.  They're just jealous 'cause their ole ladies won't let them have all that chrome they want for their buses.  Go for it!
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 07:03:48 PM »

Dave, I wrapped my turbo and exhaust and my gen exhaust. Of course I have not driven anywhere but have run both. I bought from a place in Texas, they made to fit for me. If you wish I will look up the #. Their price seemed fair also.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
DavidInWilmNC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 08:36:33 PM »

Tom, that contact info would be great.  For the rest of you guys, who said anything about chrome?  Hell, I've still got those tacky old steel wheels ... maybe I can get some of those 22.5" spinner wheel covers!   Wink  If ya'll are gonna be like that, I won't show you my engine when it's all pretty!  J/K.  Actually, while I had certain things apart, it just made sense to spray paint what I could.  I mean, the engine runs so well (31,000 miles on rebuild) that it deserves to look somewhat presentable.  People are always asking to see the engine anyway and it just looked so nasty!

David
Dallas

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 04:36:03 AM »

Ahhh, David! Not letting us see is just pure meanness!

Aside from the fact you were suppose to stop at SOB so we could see the bus, but would you? N0000OOOOOOooo! Just some lame excuse about running a poor defenseless tree down in it's prime!

You be nice or one of these days I'm gonna sneak up and slap a "Cummins Rules" bumper sticker on your hind end!  Grin

Seriously, I and a bunch of others would like to see the results of you engine beautification project!

Dallas

Stan

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 05:28:19 AM »

Back to the question. Ordinary aluminum paint in a spray can is easy to apply and lasts for a few years before you have to redo it. Just hold a big piece of cardboard between the pipe and engine and spray away.
DavidInWilmNC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 05:48:02 AM »

Ahhh, David! Not letting us see is just pure meanness!

Aside from the fact you were suppose to stop at SOB so we could see the bus, but would you? N0000OOOOOOooo! Just some lame excuse about running a poor defenseless tree down in it's prime!

You be nice or one of these days I'm gonna sneak up and slap a "Cummins Rules" bumper sticker on your hind end!  Grin

Seriously, I and a bunch of others would like to see the results of you engine beautification project!

Dallas

You know, I've got to fix that place where I ran over that root.  That'll be on the fall / winter list, I'm sure.  I looked at that root as we left.  It came out a whole lot better than the bus did, that's for sure!

I will definitely post some pics as soon as it's finished, 'cause it won't be long 'til it's all greasy again!  LOL at 'Cummins Rules' sticker... We were joking last night about 22.5" bus spinners and how they could be handy when it comes to those tree roots.  They'd have to be steel spinners - stainless for MCI's and mild steel for Eagles - and pretty sharp, but they'd help get those pesky trees and roots right out of the way.  Curb feelers might be handy, too.  Seriously, right after I got the bus two years ago, several friends threatened to call 'Pimp My Ride' and see if they can help move the conversion along!

Stan, I'm not familiar with aluminum paint.  Is this kind of like the zinc paint (aka 'cold galvanizing) paint) but with aluminum instead?  I'm not familiar with that.  Do you know of a brand?  Thanks!

David

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 06:33:36 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 08:15:12 AM »

David: I think all the brand name paint companies have it in bombs or brush-on. It is make with very fine aluminum powder and the brush-on stuff is very thin and you have to stir it constantly or the metal goes to the bottom. I just checked in my garage and what is on the shelf is a local hardware chain name so it is no help to you.
Darrell

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 11:49:29 AM »

David, an old rodder's trick I use all the time in detailing an engine while still in the vehicle is to use aluminum foil and wrap it around the things I don't want paint on.  It works great!
dvrasor

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 03:04:58 PM »

since the pipe is already off get it sandblasted then go buy
yourself some VHT brand paint and follow the instructions.
  Make sure the pipe is in good enough shape to warrant
the time and effort.

dvrasor 4104 2375
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 07:02:26 PM »

David, I bought mine from Coverflex Man. at 1-866-268-3735  I spent 140.00 to do my turbo and down pipe, faxed a drawing to Norberto Garza. When I did the gen the price seemed a little high, talked to him and he saved me some money on it. It is thick and is wrapped with a stainless mesh, which I laced up with stainless wire. I can try for a pic if you wish.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: