Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 03, 2014, 12:17:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted 4106 muffler  (Read 1558 times)
bs4104

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2007, 11:29:27 AM »

new or used 4106 stock muffler need!

Email with info please  bgs4105@hotmail.com

Thanks

102A3 N14 Auto Shift
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 11:32:16 AM »

Hi bs,

Luke at US Coach stocks them.

856-767-3323 N.J.

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 10:08:49 PM »

If you are a D.I.Y. person you can rebuild it. A replacement is very expensive.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 06:32:43 PM »

Barn Owl, are you just talking about adding sheet metal to the outside?

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 06:44:45 PM »

as long as the ends are solid new sides are the way to go
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 08:50:20 PM »

are you just talking about adding sheet metal to the outside?

You can build one from complete scratch if you want to. They donít require a tremendous amount of skill to do. With all of the roof raises, slide outs, and other modifications that are done I would rank a muffler rebuild as on the easy side. With that being said, yes I usually only have to re-skin mine because they look like they rust from the outside in. For the most part they were hand built to start with. Nothing there that you couldnít reverse engineer. Torch, drill, tape measure, angle grinder, welder, hammer, metal, etc. and a weekend and you have it. I bet Chaz could make a nice one and put some fancy decorations on it to boot. For the price of a new muffler (~$750+??? if I can remember correctly), I could buy some nice welding equipment.

gus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 08:53:19 PM »

Since the much smaller ones for the 671 in my 4104 are about $350 with shipping I would imagine that the much larger one for a 4106 is about $500+shipping.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Dallas

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 04:32:11 AM »

On the subject of building your own muffler...
I had a "White Freightliner" (1968) day cab at one time that I used to shuffle trailers around at Agripak in Salem, Oregon. There was no question that I had to be there on time everyday since the place was packed and large trucks couldn't move around in the limited space.

One Friday night as I got done with work and was leaving for home, a concretelid over an 18" culvert gave way and dropped my truck, drivers first, into the hole.
Since my muffler hung underneath instead of on a "tree", it was crushed to the point that the truck would idle, but I couldn't get beyond 1600rpm. Believe me, 12 miles of 1400 to 1600 rpm in a truck with a 8V53 was no joy.
When I got home, I got out the torch and cut the old muffler off and the next morning, (Saturday) went looking for something that would fit. In those days, truck shops and parts places were closed on Saturday in Salem.
I ended up going to a friends house who did a bunch of metal recycling, (OK, he collected junk!  Wink ), and we found a piece of 18" stainless pipe from a industrial construction site, and a few pieces of 1/4" stainless plate.
I took my treasures home and built myself a muffler that was basically a hollow tube with a a baffle to force the exhaust out the side of the tube.
It had a really cool, throaty sound that wasn't too loud.
I know the truck was in service doing the same job I'd been doing with it 4 years later, (3 years after I sold it), and the muffler was still doing it's job.
Since the tube was brushed stainless, and the heat had gotten to it over the years, it had a really neat bluish patina on it.
At the time, I think the tubing and plates cost me around $20 (Late '70's) and it took me about 8 hours to build.

Just more ramblings from my far off past, {Or maybe that's my tummy-tum I hear!}
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 07:30:28 AM »

If you want an OEM muffler, yes they are going to be expensive.  I paid $185.00 for my Donaldson muffler from my Freightlner dealer I work for (your price).  Is all that fussing around to rebuild your old one worth maybe saving a hundred bucks-not in my book.  Donaldson and Walker make big mufflers.  Shoot for one that has a 5" inlet and outlet.  Going from a 4" (12.56 sq in) to a 5" (19.63 sq in) is over a 50% increase in size! Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 07:09:44 PM »

Itís not always about saving a few bucks. Itís about honing your welding skills, the fun of fabricating, and the sense of accomplishment that you get from being in the D.I.Y. club. I can get the same neat feeling looking at a muffler I made as I get when I drive or work on my bus. Thinking we are doing it to save a few dollars is over simplistic. But, even at that, I can fabricate a muffler cheaper, including my time, than I can get an O.E.M. one for. I am not that great, but I am that good, and I get better every time I reach for the welder. Wink FWIW.

Dallas

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 07:21:05 PM »

I have to agree Laryn,

Throwing money at a problem isn't always a good answer. Doing it "My" way is what's important.
How much fun can it be to own a bus that is built exactly like a S&S? Why not just buy a Newell coach or a Bluebird, or a Marathon?
Accomplishing something that most people won't bother with is fun. It's also sometimes better than what can be bought from the local Camping World or Fleet Pride.

One other plus.... if something breaks, I know I can fix it and most likely won't have to sit and wait for road service or a wrecker..... ultimately saving more money to put more goodies in the bus!

Dallas
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 09:40:22 AM »

It's also possible to build your own engine or grind your own gears for the transmission and rear end-just some things are better bought then fabricated.  I always think of the on the road break down issue.  How easily can I fix the part that broke?  If you made it, you'd have to spend time to make a new one-and I bet you don't have the tools that you do in your shop in the bus?  But-that's why we do it our way.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bs4104

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 10:00:09 AM »

Gee Whizs  all I was wanting  to do was help a 81 year old friend find a muffler! Bruce

102A3 N14 Auto Shift
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 10:10:44 AM »

Bruce,

Ya have to remember this:

When you ask for some info or a question here, it is NOT like at the parts counter at NAPA.

It is more like at Ye ole downtown coffee house, with about 10 old guys sitting at a round table,

pondering the state of the worlds affairs.

In other words, your question WILL be answered from many different perspectives and conversation

wont stop until everyone has there say!   Grin

Best of luck on your muffler search.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
bs4104

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 10:25:02 AM »

I just did not want to re weld up his old one again as there is not much metal left there Bruce

102A3 N14 Auto Shift
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 11:26:22 AM »

ďBuild your own engine or grind your own gears for the transmission and rear endĒ equals a muffler rebuild?Huh? Come on guys, this is not a fair comparison and you know it. Surly you understood the context in which I wrote about the muffler rebuild. At least I hope so. I did not make anyone wrong that wants to buy OEM, aftermarket or D.I.Y. All are acceptable methods. I just enjoy the way I do it and wanted to share that, nothing more.

Laryn

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: