Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 10:52:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Model of differential  (Read 4071 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 08:11:09 AM »

Ron-two other alternatives.  You could put in the ultimate manual which is either the 13 or 18 speed which would give you the perfect gear at any speed-if you have the room.
Personally-if I were in your shoes, I'd change your trans to a 10spd Autoshift.  Same transmission as the manual, where they literally pulled the gear shift and replaced it with two motor shifters run with a computer through your motor.  If your engine is mechanical, the have whats called Autoselect where you just have to let off the accelerator to accomplish the shift.  The advantage to the Autoshift-it shifts the same every time, never misses a gear, doesn't grind gears (anyone that says they never grind gears is just a liar), so the trans will last a long time.  Several truck fleets have gone exclusively to Autoshift (you still use the clutch to start and stop) or an Ultrashift (no clutch pedal-but only works with an electronic engine).  If I were ever to get back on the road with my own truck, there wouldn't be any question what transmission I'd put in my truck-that's a 13 spd Ultrashift.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 08:11:41 AM »

Thks Tom ... After thinking about it I came to the same conclusion. It would be the best of both worlds, on the flat I would have good low RPM at cruising speed and on the hill I would have a few more gears to find the sweet spot.

As for the Autoshift ... I love to put a M11 with a 10 speed Autoshift, like Brians did, but this is a fresh ReliaBuilt 8-92 non DEC. I would never get the wife to agree to spending a bunch more money on the M11 setup, but the tranny would be cheap as I have a 13 speed /w OD that was on the back of the 8-92 when I bought the wreaked truck.
Ron
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 08:17:30 AM by prevost82 » Logged
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 08:40:34 AM »

Now you're talking Ron!

Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 11:09:18 AM »

So far I love the autoshift. It is a great tranny!  It shifts smoothly and reliably every time!
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 02:28:15 PM »

Ron....is your 6-speed manual a Spicer or a Fuller?  Reason I ask, it sounds like you have the direct 1:1 high gear.  Fuller did make an O.D. T-906 6-speed that had, if memory serves, either a 32 or 33% overdrive 6th.  This might be too tall, or it may work just fine.  First gear would be taller too.  Would be a simple R/R.  If you have the Spicer 6-speed, then I do not know.  Again, yeah, it is a matter of rpm cruising speed, not absolute top end, which our coaches may not pull for whatever reason.  Thanks.
Merlin-PV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 04:54:51 PM »

Gear set(ring and pinion) close to $600.00 labor to install around $400.00 and in most cases you will need a bearing set another $200.-$300 You will never drive far enough to recoupe that kind of expense even if you live to be 100
akmc5

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 05:11:17 PM »

I think that if you spend money on your bus and can at least drive the thing around the block then you win.  No one does a conversion to make or save money.  If you want a new tranny/gear set/engine/whatever, buy it.  If that one doesn't work, buy another one.  If you don't have the means....go to the junk yard.   There is always a way to get what you need. 

The only thing that matters in this whole game is the big smile on your face when your driving down the highway.  Do whatever you have to to attain that.
luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 05:29:36 PM »

Merlin these 8v92s like 1800 rpm at 65 or 70  better than 2100 rpm at the same speed i think it was worth the money myself also i wish i could buy a ring gear and pinion for a Eagle for 600.00 bucks
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 06:11:53 PM »

The only thing that matters in this whole game is the big smile on your face when your driving down the highway. living your life.  Do whatever you have to to attain that.

There, I fixed it for you!

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
akmc5

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 06:32:29 PM »

Right on, Bro.
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 10:38:51 AM »

Ron....is your 6-speed manual a Spicer or a Fuller?  Reason I ask, it sounds like you have the direct 1:1 high gear.  Fuller did make an O.D. T-906 6-speed that had, if memory serves, either a 32 or 33% overdrive 6th.  This might be too tall, or it may work just fine.  First gear would be taller too.  Would be a simple R/R.  If you have the Spicer 6-speed, then I do not know.  Again, yeah, it is a matter of rpm cruising speed, not absolute top end, which our coaches may not pull for whatever reason.  Thanks.

I have the 6 speed Spicer Tranny, with is 1:1 ratio in sixth. The thing is, I want all the gears I can get without going into OD. I have way too many grades to climb in this part of the country.

I put a lot of miles on the bus, I use it as an office / living quarters at various job sites around the counrty & RV when the wife and I go south for the winter and summer month when I'm close by, so I put on 2K to 3K per month.

I have a 13 speed with and OD, that I can shoehorn in there and should be able to do it in a weekend with minimal cost ....

Thanks for all the responses
Ron
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 10:17:18 PM »

Ron- you'll love the 13 spd-still think it is the best manual trans made.  What year was the trans made?  They made both a single and a double overdrive of the 13spd.  See if you can locate the tag on the side of the trans and let me know what year and model it is, then will know which gear set you have.  Are you going to get the reverser for the shifter, or are you just going to shift it backwards?  Good Luck, TomC

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 10:54:19 PM »

TomC,

Will the AutoSelect work with any stick behind a 8V92?  I can't imagine opting for a 740 if I could get a stick that my wife could drive.  It seems that the only real cost effective way into this is to buy a wrecked truck that has the engine and a 13 speed with autoselect already installed.  Thanks for your comments.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 04:20:45 AM »

The 10 spd and 18 spd Autoshift, that uses a clutch pedal just to start and stop can be programmed as a Autoselect to be used on mechanical engines.  The 10 spd and 13 spd Ultrashift that has no clutch pedal has to be used with an electronic engine only. When used in Autoselect form, you have to release and push down the  accelerator at every shift.  Both the Autoshift and the Ultrashift are just like a normal automatic where you keep a constant pedal pressure where the computer turns on and off the engine for you in between shifts.

For those of you that don't know what we're talking about, Eaton (truck transmission manufacturer) has taken their Roadranger transmissions and literally pulled the manual gear shift lever off and replaced it with two electric motor shifters that are controlled with a computer that is tied into the engine computer. So driving these transmission still feel like a manual transmission with an interruption between each shift.  The main advantage is that they shift the same way everytime, don't grind gears, and maximize the shifting to get the best fuel mileage (Allison does this also, but the planetary gear and clutch setup of the Allison has built in drag that just plainly takes more power to turn and more to cool).  If I got back on the road my first choice of transmission would be the Allison 6spd.  Then it would be the 13spd Utlrashift, then the 10spd Ultrashift, then the 18spd Autoshift, then the 10 spd Autoshift, then the 18spd manual, then the 13spd manual, then a 9spd manual (don't like driving a 10spd or 15 spd).  After 1.3 million miles of driving a 13 spd, I have no love loss for shifting.  It is a big pain in the left leg and right arm and the computers these days are very much up to the task of shifting better than anyone else at all times (they don't get tired).  In a bus situation like we have for our motorhome, I would never consider any kind of manual.  It takes all the fun out of driving and if something happens to you, can anyone else drive the bus?  I thought so.  Good Luck, TomC 

Sojourner

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 04:45:04 AM »

If I were ever to get back on the road with my own truck, there wouldn't be any question what transmission I'd put in my truck-that's a 13 spd Ultrashift.  Good Luck, TomC

TomC....can you skip every other shift with 13 spd Ultrashift if you want to?
Thanks Tom
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: