Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 06:41:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buses are expensive vehicles  (Read 4200 times)
justin25taylor

1974 05 Eagle and 1986 10 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2007, 10:53:05 PM »

Thanks Jim!
I too could never recover my investment especially time. But there is an upside. We get to keep driving them forever because we will never come out ahead dollar wise.
The memories are worth more to me than any amount of money.
Dreamscape

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2007, 02:37:43 AM »

When I bought our Ealge I purchased it with the intention of NEVER selling it. I started keeping receipt totals for the first couple of years, now I just keep the receipts not keeping a running total. I just don't care what the final outcome will be. Roll Eyes I also know that from what I paid for it and what I will spend when I get close to having it done, (NEVER REALLY FINISHED), it will be around 50 grand. So I figure I would be way ahead of what it would have cost to purchase completed, and I have the satisfaction of DOING IT MY WAY.  Wink I have paid cash for everything as I go along with the project, could not have done that to start with. Sure there are always I SURE COULD USE THIS, or I SURE WANT THIS, or I SURE GOTTA HAVE IT. I try to keep my wants and needs in check. Now if I GOTTA HAVE IT NOW, I just keep a file for those. Now if I NEED THIS appears I just go get it.  Tongue

I am not dissapointed at all for making the committment to DIY. I have enjoyed planning and doing. Some things just take a little more time to finish that's all.

Now for the real stuff. If I every plan to change or fix anything major I will have to dig deeper into my pockets, and am fully aware of that.

It is the best hobby I have ever had and would not look back for anything.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2007, 03:31:23 AM »

Slow work takes time! Wink  Spreading out your expenses over time makes it manageable having a bus.  This time of year (football season), I spend many hours on the road, I see hundreds of S&S's, they rarely turn my head anymore but you let a bus come into view and I can see it a 1/2 mile ahead.  Nothing any better than a bus! If I take the expenses of buying tools off of my conversion, It's almost bearable! I'm sure I'll never get what I have in it back but I've sure had a great time doing this!  I was doing something simple the other day and my wife came out and was watching and she made a comment, "you're a genius",  I looked at her and replied, "if I was a genius I wouldn't be doing this" with that said, I would do it all over again tomorrow! If you have to put a dollar value on everything you do in life you will probably be miserable, that doesn't mean you have to be crazy with your spending, just enjoy it and be glad you have the opportunity to realize your dreams!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2007, 05:12:43 AM »

Buses expensive? Really? Naw! Buses are fun!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2007, 06:08:56 AM »

I've spent way more than I ever thought I would.  Sometimes I reflect on the $$$ and wish I hadn't, but I can't look back and say I've been extravegant either.  So, I just keep enjoying the work and what I've accomplished.  I know it will never be a Marathon, but then again I don't want one of those.  I've done things on this bus I never would have done otherwise.  So, what price happiness and excitement?   The only solution would have been to buy an older already converted bus or NOT buy a bus at all.  But, I know if I didn't have a bus now I'd be dreaming and wishing for one everyday.  Sometimes we have to go after our dreams and fight for what we want.  Those words don't just apply to the "job", they apply to other things in life.
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2007, 06:39:53 AM »

Some here lament not being able to recover their investment.  Think of the depreciation of a new S&S, those who buy one find it's worth less than 1/3 of what they paid a year or so later.  The reasons few DIY converters break even include that they simply wouldn't cut corners like the S&S builders do.  To me my bus is well worth what $ I have in it.  If I'm willing to sell it for less, it's my choice.  Not selling for a lowball price is also my option.  I didn't do a bus conversion to make money, if I had I'd have spent a lot less on it and would be far more willing to sell.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2007, 06:57:30 AM »

I also want to add the thought that, though I've seen quite a few bus conversions, very few do I like as well as mine and I could not buy any of those for the $ I've invested in mine. To get something unique and special you've either got to build it yourself or pay dearly.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120 
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2007, 07:11:12 AM »

Some great post on this thread.  Gotta add my 2 cents.  We are on our 2nd (and last) conversion. When we purchased this bus, I had to promise Paula this would be the last one.  
    First, I know I would be very lucky to get even close to what I have in it, not including my labor.  But we did not build this bus (or or first one) to make a profit. When we add up all the expenses and subtract that from the enjoyment we have had, the results is PRICELESS!!  The places we have been, things we have seen, and most important, the people we have met. As far as the thousands of hours of labor, when I was still working (Paramedic-Firefighter), the time I spent in my shop working on our bus was the best R&R I could find. Not to mention all the new skills I learned!
   During my career, I saw several S&S RVs involved in accidents. They literally disintergrated. I decided many years ago, I did not want my family riding in something that poorly built. 
   Whether you build your own or buy one already converted, is a personal choice. There are pros & cons to both, but you are still a busnut.
   To sum it up, bus conversion people have to be the greatest people in the world. Now that we are retired, we hope to have many years to enjoy our conversion. But if something should happen today that would end our days of traveling, we have many memories of great places, great times, and great people.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Dreamscape

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2007, 07:19:33 AM »

Jack,

You said it so well! Great response.

I trust my wife and I can experience a smitherings of what you and your wife have enjoyed!

Hope we meet somewhere along the way!

Paul
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2007, 07:36:54 AM »

Our family never for a moment considered purchasing a S&S.  But when the thought of owning a bus came along, we were hooked. Have we dropped some coin in the process? You betcha. But my wife and I still consider the bus our best family purchase ever.  The memories we have made traveling the country with our three boys ...  as cliche as the phrase is becoming ... priceless.

The comment about the S&S depreciation rate made be stop and think for a moment, and then I started chuckling out loud.  I was pondering what a GMC 4104 probably sold for back in 1959, compared to what I think mine might be worth today.  Depreciation? We don't need no stinkin' depreciation!    For grins, anybody have actual figures for original GMC purchase prices?

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »

EXPENSIVE = YES!

Other than our houses our bus is the most expensive thing we ever purchased, I am a 54 yrs old that has never bought a new car because of the depreciation involved. (Most of my vehicles were 6-8 years old when I purchased them)

WORTH IT = EVERY PENNY!

It very hard to explain the feeling I get when we take the bus on a trip. It very hard to explain how a 45 year old vehicle can be safer than most of the junk they produce today. Unless you own a bus, you can't explain the kinship felt with other bus nuts when you pull into a rally or campground.

Jim 

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2007, 09:40:15 AM »

Can't say I have driven a new S&S but several older ones and it is a full time job. Like herding cats; every gust of wind, groove in the pavement and heavy painted line has you chasing them with the steering wheel. My bus just tracks down the road like it's on rails.
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2007, 10:11:04 AM »

I decided a few years ago I wanted a bus to convert.  I bought what i could afford and I pour my money and time into it as often as I can.  I learned early on in my research of conversions that it would not be an inexpensive venture.  One of the things I enjoy about busses is the unique character the have.  Each one is a piece of history and we all own a little bit of it.  Now the unique characters that own them...... That is another story.....

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2007, 12:47:30 PM »

Example: Muffler $92.00.... elbows, clamps, heat wrap, welding, new turbo flange, new turbo flange clamp...$310.00 more. AND I did the design and instalation.  
New heads, rod & main bearings, tires all around, fridge, microwave, water heater, rear brakes, drums, bearings, seals, two Shur-Flo water pumps, furnace, several lights...for a total, THIS YEAR, of almost $ 15,000. AND is was a completed conversion when I bought it. I have done all of the labor except the heads, and bearing replacement.

Honest Honey you will LOVE living in a bus....Think of all of the money we will save...

Don & Sheila
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: