Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 08:04:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad couple of days, need help... BROKE DOWN - On Freeway....  (Read 5533 times)
JT4SC

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2007, 12:48:32 PM »

Hi everyone,

This is Jimmy, we posted a month or so ago saying we bought a Moosecreek Motorcabin and that we are on a 5 month road trip.  Well, things were going great, but in the last 2 days we have had to put our dog down and now we are stuck on the side of the freeway with what looks to me like a blown engine or something really bad.

There is oil all over the back end of the bus, and when we pulled over the engine stalled.  Now up to that moment the bus was working fine, not overheating or oil pressure issues, everything was normal.  Maybe the oil line exploded or something??

Anyone with any help would be so appreciated.  We called Good Sam and they said they were going to send someone out in the next half hour or so, but I know you guys will be able to help me.

Bad week.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:53:52 PM by plyonsMC9 » Logged
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 12:53:02 PM »

Hi Jimmy,

Very sorry about the bad week.  Especially about your dog.  I'm sure that he was a loved member of your family.

I know in a couple of cases where it looked really bad engine-wise, it was actually a busted hose, etc.,  One of the more knowledgeable guys should be responding very soon.

In the meantime - where are you?  There may be someone nearby who can help.

BTW - I  modified your title so we'd get a lot more eyes looking at the post.  This group is awesome & has helped me many a time in situations like this.

Best Regards, Phil
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:54:53 PM by plyonsMC9 » Logged

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 01:01:56 PM »

Jimmy - if you are comfortable with it - you may want to post a number where someone can get in touch with you.  We will make sure to delete the phone # when you are back up & running if you would like - hope this helps, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
JT4SC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 01:03:03 PM »

Thanks Phil, Chief was a beloved member of our family and we are sick over his death.  This is serving as a nice/bad distraction.

We are on the 99 North in Pennsylvania.  I don't know exactly where we are but we just paid a toll about 15 miles ago.  It appears, according to Google maps, that we are between Wolfsburg and East St. Clair, somthing like that.

Since there was no smoke and everything was normal before the car next to us flagged us down to stop, we may just have a busted hose line or something like that.

We shall see... Thanks for getting back to me, you guys have always been good to me and my wife.
JT4SC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 01:06:26 PM »

619-392-4074. 
Thanks Phil.
chris4905

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 01:16:47 PM »

Jimmy,

Like Phil said, sometimes the "oil all over the engine compartment, can look lots worse than it sometimes is....".

First step to determine exactly what the substance is.  You said oil, are you sure it's motor oil?  It can also be ATF, manual transmission fluid, steering fluid, etc, etc.

I once had a fuel cross over fuel tube crack, the crankcase filled with diesel fuel, and it smoked VERY bad and had fuel all over the engine compartment.  Looked lots worse than it actually was.  Fixed the cracked fuel pipe, drained and refilled the engine oil pan, and we were back on the road within 6 hours.

Again, sometimes not as bad as it looks.  Determine the fluid, check hoses close to see if one has rubbed through from abrasion, if a fitting has cracked, of if a seal has split.

If you can get to a Napa parts store many Napa stores can made hose/fittings.

Try to keep the faith until someone can determine the exact nature of the problem.

Chris Christensen
1974 GMC 4905 w/ 6V92 & V730
Eagle, Idaho
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 01:19:09 PM by chris4905 » Logged

Chris & Cheryl Christensen
Ex-Bus Owners
Eagle, Idaho
JT4SC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 01:44:16 PM »

Hi Guys
This is Roilyn, Jimmy's wife ...we were praying for a diversion from being sad after our sweet dog died and I guess this is it. A bit bigger diversion than we had hoped but it is a diversion none the less.

The Good SAM guy came and said there is diesel in the oil tank. He is taking Jimmy back to he Detroit Diesel shop to determine our next move.

The mechanic said...it does not look good.....

Thanks for all of your support...We really appreciate it.

Roilyn
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 01:49:28 PM »

Hi Roilyn & Jimmy,

Sorry about Chief..

It looks like you are west of Pittsburg, nearing I-70.

Don't get too worried yet , It could still be something not so dramatic. like a fuell line under the valve cover,

or a stuck injector...

Keep us posted
and Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Dallas

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 01:51:20 PM »

Roilyn,

Don't give up hope....

The fuel in the oil is possibly a good sign...

Possibilities are a broken fuel jumper line, trashed injector, bad fuel pump, and on and on.

If the engine hasn't been run too far, those things can be a simple fix, (relatively), even though there is a mess all over the bus.

Just hang in there, and keep your spirits up. We are all trying to think of ways to help you.

I'm sorry to hear about Chief, I know the pain of losing a close family member that way. Others here do too. The pain gets less after awhile, but you never forget the love.

Dallas
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 01:54:32 PM »

Hi Guy's,

If you would like to talk to someone to back-up any diagnosis they give you, here are some #'s of local expirts.

Crawford Coach, "Keith"
Mifflin P.A.
717-527-4555

US Coach "Luke"
Berlin, N.J.
856-767-3323

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 02:00:06 PM »

I just called Jimmy. He's on his way with a mechanic to a Detroit Diesel dealer. Seems to be ok for now, not on the side of the road anymore.. I was gonna give him a phone number of a place in State College, PA - not too far from him. Let's wait and see what the DD tells him.............
Sammy  Cool
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 02:04:55 PM »

If anyone talks to him the best DD guy in PA is Byron Hassinger, Hassinger Diesel Service.

Untill the 4 stroke became common in buses around here thats where Capitol Trailways Johnson Bus, Wolf's, Capital Area Trasit et al sent thier 2 strokes.

Located in Middleburg, PA
JT4SC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 02:08:23 PM »

hey guys
Jimmy is not on the side of the road ...I AM!!!!  Cheesy

He left me ( and our remaining dog who is still very sad too) with the bus while he went with the mechanic to the shop. I don't know what that is going to accomplish but that was the mechanics suggestion.

So, yes the bus is still on the side of the road which i am reminded of every time a truck flies by and shakes the whole bus....

sorry to get your hopes up....

you all are so awesome and good to us...we really appreciate it

Roilyn
ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »

Hi Jimmy and Roilyn, I wish you were closer to Kentucky so we could help you. Our prayers are with you. Tomas
JT4SC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 02:20:21 PM »

Thanks Tomas..
We will take all the prayers we can get.....

Some more not so good news.....
I just talked to Jimmy and it looks like we will be here until at least Tuesday as the Detroit Diesel place can not look at  it until then.... OH JOY!!!

They are on their way now to tow us....

Thanks again for all of your support, prayers and suggestions.

Roilyn
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: