Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 03:15:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad couple of days, need help... BROKE DOWN - On Freeway....  (Read 5699 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2007, 02:36:26 PM »

Hello again Jimmy & Roilyn,
Very sorry to hear about Chief I know it is very heartbreaking to loose a family member at anytime and even worse on the road in the middle of nowhere without having friends. family, or familiar things and places to help comfort and take the pain away!
I also am sorry to hear about the "Moose", but at least the "Moose"is a mechanical item and can and will be up and roaming again soon! I want to offer any assistance that myself, our shop (Busted Knuckle Garage), Dallas & Cat, or anyone we know can provide to make things easier for you! Please LET US ALL KNOW WHAT IS SAID TO BE THE PROBLEM WITH THE "MOOSE"! Before making any major decisions about the repairs!
#1) Because there are way too many people/shops that will take advantage of your lack of knowledge/experience with these things, and many of our members will be able to tell just by the story they give you, or WHO they are "if they are trying to take you for a ride"

#2) You are in area where several of our very knowledgable busnuts are familiar with! (and of those Tekebird/Doug is a very trusted, and reliable source of info! He is not the only one, but I can say you are definitely in very capable hands with him!)
#3) If things turn out to be as bad as you first feared/suggested it may be to your advantage to have the bus towed to a shop (even if it is some distance away) where one or more of us has experience dealing with to be sure you get treated fairly, and the "Moose" gets cared for properly!
Please feel free to contact anyone here at KY Lakeside Travel or it's Busted Knuckle Garage for advice or assistance! As well as anyone else on the board who has offered assistance!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin aka
Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Union City, TN
731.885.7460 Main line
270.705.1139 my cell

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
JT4SC

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 08:02:13 AM »

Thanks alot Busted Knuckle, I really appreciate you and everyone else on this board.  We should find out tomorrow morning what the problem is, and then I will post it here so we can make sure they are not trying to screw us.  Thanks for everything guys, your the best!!
Jimmy
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 01:21:06 PM »

Jimmy after reading these posts and your description I would look at the fuel lines cross over tubes under the valve covers. This is a common occurence on these detroits if I was the mechanic assigned to this work order thats where I would start. It's not that common for a fuel pump to cause this problem and a injector coming apart usually will show lots of smoke before coming apart completely.

So a oil change and filter and a fuel line is probably what you need actually pretty inexpensive but sure ugly looking when you open up panels in rear kinda of makes heart hesitate.

Looking forward to finding out source of problem.

i'm available for consultation if needed

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2007, 01:42:01 PM »

I have been following this one for a bit now too. Really want to hear what the final outcome is. Hope it is something simple.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2007, 02:42:35 PM »

Larry has a very good point! A long time ago I had an 8V92TA DDEC that had a similar problem, I'd just bought the coach and was on it's first charter trip! Only I found out by coming to a stop light and the engine died! I could restart it but if I didn't rev it up to keep the oil pressure up it would die again! When I got to the hotel (about 3 miles up the street) I had about 12 gallons of super thin fuel/oil showing on the dipstick! I caught a ride out to a Walmart and bought 40W oil in quarts and some drain pans. When I got back to the hotel I changed the oil in the hotel parking lot (I had a spare filter as I always carry 1 of ea as a spare!). The next day I limited the amount of time I ran the coach and also stopped by an Oil Distributer and picked up some Shell Rotella T in a couple 5 gallon buckets and a couple of cases in gallons & 2 used empty buckets. I stopped at a NAPA and bought 6 new filters. And every night when I got to the hotel I changed to oil pouring the used oil in the used 5 gallon buckets, and going by the dropped off the old oil by pouring it in their recycling center container. I did this until I got home, and then we checked it out and found some cross over tubes leaking. So I changed all the cross over tubes. Then I sent it out on a day trip and it still came back in the same way 2 times as much oil/fuel as it went out with! This time I borrowed a pressurized dye injector that hooked onto the fuel system at the filter block and injected dye thru it until we found that 6 out of 8 injectors were leaking (like to never found it as they were leaking very slightly while cold and the engine off, but at night after getting the engine warm and using a fluorescent spot light it was obvious!) around the base!
After changing all the injectors it ran like a champ and never had another problem for the 3 yrs I kept the coach before selling it! So if one is leaking, replace all of them! It'll be in your favor on down the road! I don't know how long your coach sat before/while being converted, but I do know it sat some after being converted before you bought it! Mine had sat about about 2 yrs prior to my purchasing adopting it! FWIW! Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
JT4SC

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2007, 03:45:38 PM »

Update:  Greetings from the Bedford, PA McDonalds.  Our aircard is not working now...AHHH!!! so I am using the Mc'd's wifi access.  I got the verdict from the DD people.  A fuel injector failed.  Something else was wrong but I can't remember what it was, I was just thankful I hadn't blown the engine.  The guy said the bearings were fine, so that is good.  They are having the parts delivered tomorrow so if all goes well we will be back on the road about this time tomorrow (Wednesday).

Thanks again for all your help and support, we REALLY appreciate it!!
Jimmy
JT4SC

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2007, 03:49:54 PM »

BN I will ask to make sure they checked all the injectors, hopefully they did.  Thanks for the advise.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2007, 03:51:54 PM »

Very spectacular looking failure for not all that much $ to fix.  More inconvenience and a raise in blood pressure than anything else. Glad it worked out.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2007, 03:54:45 PM »

Thanks for the update. Keep us advised please.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2007, 04:30:14 PM »

Update:  Greetings from the Bedford, PA McDonalds.  Our aircard is not working now...AHHH!!! so I am using the Mc'd's wifi access.  I got the verdict from the DD people.  A fuel injector failed.  Something else was wrong but I can't remember what it was, I was just thankful I hadn't blown the engine.  The guy said the bearings were fine, so that is good.  They are having the parts delivered tomorrow so if all goes well we will be back on the road about this time tomorrow (Wednesday).

Thanks again for all your help and support, we REALLY appreciate it!!
Jimmy

Jimmy I'm glad to hear the good news for you . These detroits are almost bullet proof enjoy the rest of your trip.

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2007, 05:13:21 PM »

Jimmy,  Praise the Lord Jesus that they have it figured out and it won't be a fortune or a new engine. I am happy to know all is working out for you.  Tomas
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2007, 06:20:03 PM »

Amen! Just remember ya got plenty of time to make it to the Bus Rally @ my place this weekend NOW!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2007, 07:12:19 PM »

Answers to prayer!  yahooo!  That is terrific news.   Grin  Grin  Grin

Please continue to keep us posted.

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Dreamscape

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2007, 07:40:12 PM »

After all you have been through you needed some good news!

Hope you are able to continue your trip, I know you are one short, I'm sorry.

We just picked up a white pekingese that was resued. So now we have two, a silky terrior also. They are great to have around!

God Bless,

Paul
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2007, 07:42:58 PM »

If you have a bad injector, that's simple enough.  Are they replacing one injector?  Or installing a rebuilt set?  
May I suggest that you check your oil frequently once you're back on the road.  Modern DD mechanics have no respect for the delicate jumpers found in 2 stroke DD engines.  They must be torqued accurately or they'll leak.  
Any increase in the oil level would indicate a fuel leak.  
The oil should be checked at some repeatable interval...such as 15 minutes after shutdown, and always before cranking.  And with the bus level.  Out of level will alter the oil level readings.  
A small handy device (which you may have) is an infrared temp gun.
It is a small handheld device that will show these sort of problems in the early stages by comparing temp variations of the exhaust manifold.
If you get a cool cylinder when the engine is at normal op temp, you got a problem brewing.  
The more you drive the coach, the better your senses will become for "issues" that crop up.  Anytime you have a gut feeling that something isn't right, pull off at some safe place and do a walk around.  Look at both side of the engine, check the wheel hubs for excessive heat, whack the tires (or check pressure), look at the water level, and check for anything leaking from the engine area.  So it's a false alarm....now you'll feel better.   Still, develop a feel for the coach. Mr MooseBus has a personality and it will tell you how it feels.  Often before it shuts down.   May I ask what bus you have?  And what year?
I'll assume that you have an MCI 6V92TA, If you have an 87 MC9 you have DDEC engine control..."fly by wire" if you will.  Post a good description of your coach....?

Hope all works well for ya'll!
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: