Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 16, 2014, 05:34:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In-Motion satellite: KVH TracVision R5 / R6 vs Wineguard & others...  (Read 7338 times)
DROdio
WonderlandBus

1989 VanHool T-815 - "WonderlandBus"

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2006, 06:07:55 PM »

I'm having the darndest time figuring out what the difference between the KVH TracVision R5 & R6 is.  Can anyone shine a light on this?

Also, any recommendations regarding the best in-motion satellite for the money?

Ideally I'd like to buy my own receiver (i.e., for DirecTV or Dish service) and just buy the satellite.  Will this approach work?

Has anyone tried just having 1 satellite subscription between their home & bus, and then switching between the two?  Isn't there some sort of card you can swap between the receivers in order to be able to do this?  Doesn't make sense to pay for a service that we wouldn't really be using much...

"WonderlandBus"
1989 VanHool T-815

Daniel@WonderlandBus.com
www.WonderlandBus.com
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 06:19:44 PM »

Hi Danial,

The A5 is only 5 1/2" tall and uses new tech called [ Phased Array ]  think of a funnel cloud, that shape is how they pick up the signel

instead of a dish having to look straight at the satelite. It has always been a problem for me with my L3 when I 'm driving past tall trees.

The picture will freeze until the trees pass. I've tested the A5 in a friend's escalade, only the usual dead spots, tunnels, parking garages,

super tall buildings.

The 6 is KVH's newest RV model, claims to be 3" shorter than the L3 with a different kind of dish inside. I havn't tested it yet! Big Bucks Though!

I have 6 recivers on my direct tv account, 5 house, 1 bus. I wish I baught the 12v reciver for the bus because when I switch from shore power to

inverter, that 100th of a second is enough for the reciever to flash and send the dish into search. A 12 v unit won't do that! The only problem with

traveling with your reciever is that you loose your local stations but, you can call Direct tv with the zip code your in, and Wala, you got local stations.

As soon as I sell my L3, I'm getting the A5, mostly because of the Low Profile. You saw my 14" hat on my roof, dosn't look good with my smooth top!

http://www.kvh.com/pdf/TVA5comboWEB.pdf

Nick-
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 06:43:37 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 06:52:36 PM »

I have a Datron DBS-4000, it is 12V, so no loss of signal on power-ups. The Datron line was purchaced by another of the satellite mfgs (KVH, I think) and the line discontinued.
   It works great, with Direct TV. I pay an extra $5 per month for the extra receiver. I listen to XM radio thru it every day while working on the bus, so its a great deal at $5, not having to listen to commercial radio.
  It does occasionally lose signal on streets with tall trees close to the road, but is seamless on xpressway and clear roads.
It is so nice to have all the avail TV channels for the family while traveling.

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 10:18:44 AM »

Regarding sharing the satalite receiver between the house and bus:  I talked to the Direct TV folks and they said it was not a problem.  You could just take the receiver out of the house and place it in the bus when traveling.  The card would continue to recognize the receiver and yours. 

I have not done this yet - not there in the process.  However, I am going to try this when the day comes.

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 11:12:34 AM »

Danny,

I did that for a while, Than I got lazy!

I just keep 1 in the bus now mostly cause the wires, repowering the unit up, and fitting it back into the built in cabinet!

Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Chuck Newman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 12:42:45 PM »

Nick & Chuck,

Between Winegard, KingDome, and KVH, have you talked to users about rain fade.
I want the fixed position antenna unit in a dome, and I know not all respond the same to
rain fade.

Any feedback from other users of each?

Chuck, several years ago I ran a DSS receiver from a very small about $30.00 inverter in
a previous coach.  Did so because 120vac was not available over the windshield.  It
powered the receiver with no problems.  That said, I like to run everything possible
on DC.  Is anyone currently making an AC/DC DSS receiver?

Thanks.

1989 MCI 102A3, Series 50, DDEC III, Allison 740D
ChuckMC8

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:51:09 PM »

Chuck N.- I had to use a specific receiver with the datron satellite controller. There were several brands/models to choose from.
My unit came with a Sony receiver that has a RF remote control. Very cool, because I can change the channel from the bedroom with the door closed or outside , when sitting under the awning watching the big TV in the bay.

I'd bet finding a DC receiver would be a good possibility. First, look to the alternative power folks, such as
http://www.backwoodssolar.com/  call them and someone there will know for sure-
hope this helps, Chuck L.

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 07:25:13 PM »

Hi Chuck,

We discussed this topic a month or so back.

Here is the link
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=68.0

ceieio
MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740

1973 MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 02:06:05 PM »

inverter, that 100th of a second is enough for the reciever to flash and send the dish into search. A 12 v unit won't do that! The only problem with

Nick - you may be able to get around that, with a little fuss.  The manual for my KVH suggests that you turn off the 12v power to the dome when you are parked (after acquisition) as the dish no longer needs power once locked on.  Their reasoning was as a power saver.  If you parked while the dish was locked on, you could just power the dome off on your way out the door to tend cords etc.

When you turn the dome power back on, it will do POST (power on self test) and seek the satellite again, so you will and the nuisance of that delay to require the satellite that you were already pointed at.  If you put that step in the right place of your departure checklist, it should be of little impact.

Craig - MC7 Oregon

Craig MC7 - Oregon USA
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 05:26:17 PM »

Hi Craig,

I know what you mean, Thanks.

Yhe complaint I have is the reciever aqusition, it takes about 4 min to recieve picture.

Nick-

Gary W

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 10:36:05 AM »

Speaking of satellite systems,  I have a Datron DBS-4000 that quit working, II think it is a software issue. I talked to techs at Audio Vox that bought out Datron. They said there are not very many dealers that repair Datrons. There is one in Apache Jct AZ. Does anyone know of a place to check out Datrons in the north west Oregon or Washington.

Gary   
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 10:38:01 AM by Gary W » Logged
ChuckMC8

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 11:13:11 AM »

Gary, I have the service/installation manual for the Datron DBS-4000. if I can share that info with you, just drop me a note.I can scan and email if needed- Chuck Lott

stephenstay

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 12:29:52 PM »

Chuck, I'm trying to get my datron 4000 up and running too so I'd like to take you up on your offer for manuals.  I've PM'd you.

Gary, I've found a source for two rebuilt datron 4000 antenna control boxes.  PM me if you want details.

Cheers,
ST

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 01:08:53 PM »

Just a little trivia on the A5 antenna technology.

The technology for phased array is actually from the 50's-60's.

I worked on the BMEWS (Ballistic Missle Early Warning Site) site in Greenland and they were using the phased array radar up there.

I guess someone found a good use/market for it on the receive end because of DBS.   Interesting.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 06:45:21 PM »

After struggling with trouble shooting, talking to techs, buying parts that did not cure the problems etc. I found if you want the most reliable the one entertainers use (they can't get repairs on the road when working to a schedule) is the TracStar.

After having it since February I can tell you it is trouble free and it locks on to a signal faster than anything else we ever had and when in motion it stays locked on like a junk yard dog.

But there are no bargains.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: