Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 11:16:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi Tech, Do or Don't ??  (Read 3751 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 08:39:03 AM »

Being an old owner/operator cross country truck driver, I do have a few parts with me.  Mainly fuel filters and oil.  I do carry plastic ties, silicone sealer, silicone tape (very cool-doesn't have sticky but sticks to itself.  Can even wrap a fuel line leak while it is leaking and it will seal!).  Electrical tape is usally more usuable than duct tape.  Changed my 12R-22.5 bus tires to more common 11R24.5 truck tires since they are more available on the road.  The rest of the bus is practically like a big rig truck, so don't carry any more than this.
As to the motorhome part, I bought name brands from Camping World, Home Depot, Graingers Wholesale, etc.  Rare is the time you go through any town now and a Home Depot isn't there.  There is a point where carrying too much just is loading you down to the point of having a measurable effect on your fuel mileage.  Last July coming home from Rickreal, Or, I took 299 from Redding out to Eureka.  While a beautiful drive, a mother of a road to drive (maybe try it once-in a sports car would be prime).  My remote mounted engine oil filter broke off and dumped 7 gallons of oil in a very few seconds.  Needless to say, shut off the engine immediately when the oil buzzer came on and swung into the oposite side of the road into a turn out.  Called the Detroit Diesel rep in Eureka and sent out a road mechanic with another similar oil filter.  Was down for 5 hours, then on the way.  Just about anywhere you go you'll be within 2 hour drive of some type of mobile mechanic.  Since the millions of trucks on the road don't carry hundreds of pounds of spare parts with them, I don't either.  If you keep your bus maintained properly and repaired the correct way, it will give you many miles of faithful performance.  Do you think the original bus operators of your bus carried anything more than fuel filters with them?  Just my opinion from 21 years of cross country truck driving.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
busboy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 04:52:03 PM »

On the bailing wire topic...I had a boy from Oklahoma working for me in the Campground...someone reported that the futon that makes into a bed in one of the cabins had been overloaded...busted the welds on the springs...it was the weekend and we did not have a welder so my Oklahoma hand went to his tool box and did the nicest wrap job you have ever seen on the springs and we were back in business...about two years later we had some super heavyweights use the futon/bed and I had to finally take it to the welder for the right fix.
Happy Trails,
Brent
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 10:22:30 AM »

I always used biling wire and grass string - of course I live in the south and didn't know what bubble gum was  ;-)

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 11:15:31 AM »

If you can not find bailing wire, a good substitute is a roll of tye wire for rebar, get it at any lumbar yard.
ED

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 12:11:56 PM »

When I had a sticks and staples I carried a starter, alternator and water pump in addition to the normal stuff. Does anybody carry hard parts like these for thier bus.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 12:21:07 PM »

I have a spare air compressor on board, just because I got a decent deal on it and it didn't make sense to leave it home when in all likelyhood it would fail on me when I'm not at home. Also carry a spare governor, again, because I have it, but that's not really a major part.

Of course, the big problem I had last year was the alternator, not the air compressor, which I didn't have a spare for.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: