Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 06:30:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone towing an Expedition?  (Read 3457 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2007, 02:54:21 PM »

We're looking at an 06 Ford Expedition. I haven't been able to determine if it can be towed 4 down or not. It's listed on Blue Ox for baseplates and they don't indicate any extra requirements, such as the neutral tow kit or lube pump, like they do on the Explorer. It's not listed in Towing World's Dinghy guide.

Anybody have one that they tow 4 down?  What did you have to do to it to make it towable?

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 04:01:22 PM »

I towed my F-150 98 model.

it was not listed anywhere at the time.

I would disconect the Vaccume line to the Transfer case and also drop the driveline from the rear U joint

Custom Built Baseplate
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »

The Expedition should be the same as the F-150.
Check with your Ford dealer. I got a pamphlet from them that listed what was necessary.

For the 05 F-150 you need a manual shift lever on the floor as it has a neutral position. The trucks with the shift on the fly on the dash don't have a neutral position.

If your Expedition has the shift on the fly then it probably can't be towed.

HTH Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 06:33:13 PM »

My F-150 was the electro Pneumatic switch.  pull the hose and your golden still need to deal with the rear shaft
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 07:22:46 PM »

Hi Craig,

GM SUV's and Pick up's only take 10 seconds holding two buttons to tow 4 down.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 07:49:50 PM »

Expeditions don't have a manual shift transfer case. Push button only. I don't think you can tow one. Plus they're heavy! How about something like a jeep TJ or YJ?
-Fred
(I'm ready to install the relay board you made for me but I'm gonna need your help)

Fred Thomson
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 08:00:26 PM »

GM SUV's and Pick up's only take 10 seconds holding two buttons to tow 4 down.

Yeah, that's the way my Explorer is, too, with the dealer installed neutral kit. However, the Expedition has a dial for shifting the
4x4, not the push button, so I'm not sure if they have a similar setup for it.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. We haven't bought it yet. Just thinking about it, but if it can't be towed, we'll
probably pass and wait for another Explorer or Ranger.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 08:02:44 PM »

(I'm ready to install the relay board you made for me but I'm gonna need your help)

You'll need the board too  Roll Eyes

Give me a call when you want to do it. Any time should be good with me.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 08:29:36 PM »

JD asked about you when I was there the other day. I'll call you to set something up for the lighting project.
-F

Fred Thomson
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:45:38 PM »

The Expeditions are NOT towable all 4 down.  You can check with Remco and they may have came up with something.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 01:49:28 PM »

they said that about my f-150 too......LOL

two round trips to the west coast and one to Fl

had 160k on the truck when I sold it and ran like a top.

you do need to disconnect the rear driveshaft.....either with a remco or just unbolt the U joint.
Marcus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 07:05:07 PM »

How about a gmc Envoy 2006. Will it tow all 4 down? @ wheel drive. Marcus
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 07:34:10 PM »

The Expeditions are NOT towable all 4 down.  You can check with Remco and they may have came up with something.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was coming up with today. Even Ford central couldn't tell me if it was towable. The dealer did tell me there is no neutral kit for it, and more info I came across online indicates
it's not.

I considered using the Remco disconnect I just took off the old explorer and having the
driveline modified, but I can't confirm if their Control Trac system applies to the front axle, as well
as the rear axle (that's the system that applies the brakes on a slipping wheel, so power is shifted to
the wheel that's not slipping).

So... I think I may just buy another Explorer or possibly a Ranger, since both can have the neutral
kit installed on them now.

Tough decision. This seems like a good deal on a very nice Expedition.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 11:38:40 PM »

Could get a 2 wheel drive and use the Remco! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Or ya could save that $ and come on down to the Rally this weekend and we'll all help ya think on it over a cold 1! ! LOL!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 05:20:58 AM »

Could get a 2 wheel drive and use the Remco! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

I drove 2 wheel drive for years. Drove my little Ranger for years, and there wasn't a snowstorm that could stop me. Even the 30
inches in one day in Philadelphia in 96 that shut down the entire state. I had chains, and grew up driving in that kind of stuff.
But I'm past that kind of thrill now.

Or ya could save that $ and come on down to the Rally this weekend and we'll all help ya think on it over a cold 1! ! LOL!

Wish I could, but just not going to be able to make it this year. Ya'll have one for me, though, and I'll drink one to ya'll here.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

gus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 02:05:12 PM »

I remember being shocked when I first read the 5300+ lb weight of an Expedition, but I was even more shocked that the Excursion is 7200 lb!!

What was Ford thinking when they built these things?

My dually one ton Dodge Cummins weighs no more than the Excursion!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 03:02:37 PM »

WOWE! I sure didn't think they weighed that much.  Our Ford F350 dually, diesel, crew cab is only 6550 over the scales with almost full fuel and me sitting in it.

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
belfert

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »

Jack's F-350 must be older as a current model with V10 engine weighs in at 6750 lbs.  The diesel engine pushes it well over 7.000 lbs.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 03:49:07 PM »

OOPS, A typo should have been 6850.  Our truck is a 92' with the 7.3 "International" Ford diesel engine

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 05:53:10 PM »

Hi all,

""I would disconnect the Vacuum line to the Transfer case and also drop the driveline from the rear U joint ""
Excellent idea.
We tow an Excursion. (It's in that picture up there.)
I have the driveshaft disconnect installed and it has worked well for more than a year.
But,
    When towing across I-90 in South Dakota during our vacation out west we had a catastrophe.
The Auto lockouts locked in at about 70 m.p.h.! Shocked
The tranny sits in the parked position while going down the road, and I've never even really felt it back there. We pulled into the Devil's Tower park at around midnight and parked. When I did my walk around the next morning I saw the transfer case front drive gear still connected to the driveshaft. Hanging down and almost touching the ground.(OH Dear ,will you come hear a minute, we might have a problem. Angry)
 When the system detonated the driveshaft was driven through the floor under the driver's seat. The transfer case had disintegrated, taking with it the ring and pinion in the front axle as well.
Long story a bit shorter, We traveled 5660 miles on our trip and the towed didn't drive itself even one city block. Sad
Anyway, My bus can and does haul around that big SUV, and I get about 5.5 mpg doing it. It is the vehicle for my work and the family of six.
I would recommend one modification to any vacuum activated lockout system, throw away the autos and put in a set of manual hubs that will grantee you a freewheeling vehicle for sure. For me it was a $3500 decision made a bit too late.
HTH
Devin

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 08:20:40 PM »

Dang Devin,

Sorry to hear about your catastrophe. That's not the best place in the world to lose your guts, either!

I hope the rest of the trip went better.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »

Gumpery Craig,

This is a rare pleasure.  YES you can tow that puppy with all four down.  Actually, you can tow ANYTHING with all four down.  You still can't back any of them up, however.  Here is how:  Start the engine and shift to neutral.  Full oil pressure and all bearings ar lubed in the transmission.  Tow at an speed for as long as you wish.  My olds toronado got 2,000 miles of tow to a tank of gas.  A friend with a Fiat got more than double my  MPG.  This isn't a theory....I have done this for years and years.  I expanded the system and added a safty feature: Hooked the idiot light sensors for low oil pressure and over temp to a relay that fired of the air horn I installed.  Started the car and switched on the saftey switch and "towed away".  The operating temp of the car went up significantly and this was behind a S&S with a front motor.

When I thought of this I called three trans shops and the GM dealer for their read.  All said it would work and not damage the trans.  Is this cheaper than a dolly? 

A friend installs a drive shaft decoupler that works really well.  Needs a replacement shaft and isn't exactly free but it will cross to your next car also as a selling feature.

Good luck,

John
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 11:50:33 PM by JohnEd » Logged

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 05:56:28 AM »

Thanks John,

I had not considered that, and while I have heard of it before, and in fact know someone who towed a van that way, it's not for me.

Plus, on this particular vehicle, the manual say not to tow it even by tow truck with any wheels down because of their Control Trac
4x4, which is a system where the computer applys the brakes to a slipping wheel to transfer power to the opposite wheel.
I don't quite understand why it would be a problem as the Control Trac computer should not be working when the engine is off,
but sure could see it being a problem when it's running. I suspect I could put the Remco driveline disconnect on the rear driveline,
and it'd be ok, but Devin's problem scares me a bit.

I think we've decided to pass on the Expedition in favor of another Explorer. The explorer is lighter, and easier to deal with as far as
setup for towing. With the third seat option, we can fit 7 people, though a little uncomfortable, but that's not usual for us, and we
don't go very far in it when traveling anyway, so it works well.

I think I'll sell the Remco disconnect unit I used on the other Explorer.  Remco has a trade in program if you need to upgrade.
You can send in an old one and they give you a discount on the new one. When we got this one, the discount was $250. I
found a guy who had an old one, and he offered to split that, so I saved $125 on the new one and he got $125 for his old
one. Maybe I can find someone who want's to buy a new one and do the same.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 06:58:24 AM »

Why mess with a Ford at all?? I bought a Jeep liberty, very comfortable vehicle, 210 Horse V-6 and all set up from the factory for 4 down towing.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 07:49:06 AM »

I don't know anything about the Liberty, but I'm not a big Jeep fan in general. My Mother-In-Law has had a Cherokee for several years. That thing goes through brakes about every 25K miles! It's had problems from day one.

Interesting that the Liberty would come from the factory set up for 4 down towing. Wish other manufacturers would figure out that RVing is popular!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 09:48:16 AM »

Yea, its really neat, evan has two positions for the ignition switch, one for locking the steering wheel in the off mode and one for towing without lock.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 10:14:06 AM »

Craig,

I am certain you can disable that Trac thingy by simply removing the fuse.  No power...no operation.  I know it works that way with a pacemaker.

Good choice on the Jeep.

Good luck,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 12:30:59 PM »

Hi Gumpy,
Maybe your mother-in law drives with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas pedal. Have you ever followed someone with their brake lights on intermittently or full time? My cousin's father-in-law drove that way even going up hill. He never had brakes last long and his MPG was always low too. Next time you ride with her take a discreet look at her feet while she's driving. But, by no means try to change her habit if she does drive that way.
Good luck, Sam 4106

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 09:30:59 PM »

No, she doesn't left foot brake. It's just cheap materials. The rotors and pads on that model were just crap, and the replacements
aren't any better. Not sure if they got the best they could, but F-I-L doesn't waste money buying cheap crap, so I expect it was the best available. I think that thing is full time four wheel drive, also, though not sure why that would matter on the brakes. Tires, though, would be a different story.

My new Explorer went through it's original brakes in under 45K. They were junk. The new ones I put on were much beefier.

Also put new tires on at about 50K, but I'd towed it 15-20K also, so can't complain about that.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 02:30:39 PM »

If you want to do it right, also you need to consider the $inconvenient fact$ that legally, you will need some sort of braking ability for the Expedition.  Somebody can steer you to a high quality solution that would be safe and legal.  You have a very nice toad.  Good luck.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 12:01:29 AM »

Craig,

Towing a car that is idling is equal to putting it in neutral going down hill.  I don't think that doing that would cause a brake problem or we would all have heard about it.  Also, I can get a "chip" for cheap that will shift my transfer case to neutral in my Ranger.  I have a 5 speed so that doesn't matter to me but those with autos can do 4 down for $20 or $30, I am told.  The chip goes in the electric selector shift circuit for the 4 wheel drive.

I am all in favor of "to each.....".  What are your reservations about the toad running while underway?  Do you know if it is not legal in some states or Canada?

Nice move on "not" selecting the Jeep.  So many problems in the past.  Don't know about todays versions but still.

Thank you for your help,

John

—Pla
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 06:03:05 AM »

Towing a car that is idling is equal to putting it in neutral going down hill.  I don't think that doing that would cause a brake problem or we would all have heard about it. 

You may be correct, but I'm not willing to bet my $26K vehicle on it.  Wink

Also, I can get a "chip" for cheap that will shift my transfer case to neutral in my Ranger.  I have a 5 speed so that doesn't matter to me but those with autos can do 4 down for $20 or $30, I am told.  The chip goes in the electric selector shift circuit for the 4 wheel drive.

Yeah, that's the neutral tow kit. We have it installed in our Explorer. It was a little over $20 for the part, but it has to be installed by the dealer so they can hook up their diagnostic equipment to make sure it's working properly and the transfer case shifts properly. It's about an hour and a half labor. Total cost to install it was about $85, but that was at the dealer in a small NE town where labor rates were reasonable, not the excessive rates of the Twin Cities area. It works great. It only became available for the Ranger on the 2007 model. It's not available for the Expedition.

I am all in favor of "to each.....".  What are your reservations about the toad running while underway?  Do you know if it is not legal in some states or Canada?

Don't know anything about the legality of it. Wouldn't expect it to be illegal as long as the vehicle is attached properly to the bus. I personally wouldn't do it. I just think there's too much at risk, should the engine die or the
braking system decide to do it's thing.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: