Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 07:41:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone towing an Expedition?  (Read 3681 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 12:01:29 AM »

Craig,

Towing a car that is idling is equal to putting it in neutral going down hill.  I don't think that doing that would cause a brake problem or we would all have heard about it.  Also, I can get a "chip" for cheap that will shift my transfer case to neutral in my Ranger.  I have a 5 speed so that doesn't matter to me but those with autos can do 4 down for $20 or $30, I am told.  The chip goes in the electric selector shift circuit for the 4 wheel drive.

I am all in favor of "to each.....".  What are your reservations about the toad running while underway?  Do you know if it is not legal in some states or Canada?

Nice move on "not" selecting the Jeep.  So many problems in the past.  Don't know about todays versions but still.

Thank you for your help,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 06:03:05 AM »

Towing a car that is idling is equal to putting it in neutral going down hill.  I don't think that doing that would cause a brake problem or we would all have heard about it. 

You may be correct, but I'm not willing to bet my $26K vehicle on it.  Wink

Also, I can get a "chip" for cheap that will shift my transfer case to neutral in my Ranger.  I have a 5 speed so that doesn't matter to me but those with autos can do 4 down for $20 or $30, I am told.  The chip goes in the electric selector shift circuit for the 4 wheel drive.

Yeah, that's the neutral tow kit. We have it installed in our Explorer. It was a little over $20 for the part, but it has to be installed by the dealer so they can hook up their diagnostic equipment to make sure it's working properly and the transfer case shifts properly. It's about an hour and a half labor. Total cost to install it was about $85, but that was at the dealer in a small NE town where labor rates were reasonable, not the excessive rates of the Twin Cities area. It works great. It only became available for the Ranger on the 2007 model. It's not available for the Expedition.

I am all in favor of "to each.....".  What are your reservations about the toad running while underway?  Do you know if it is not legal in some states or Canada?

Don't know anything about the legality of it. Wouldn't expect it to be illegal as long as the vehicle is attached properly to the bus. I personally wouldn't do it. I just think there's too much at risk, should the engine die or the
braking system decide to do it's thing.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: