Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 23, 2014, 08:28:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: propane generator?????  (Read 2648 times)
tekebird

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2007, 07:50:43 PM »

have no experience with propane fueled diesels.

how are they starting in cold weather?

Any special procedure?

what is involved in converting back to Diesel?

belfert

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »

Are you sure it is a modified diesel?  Most propane gensets, at least for RVs, are modified gasoline engines with slightly lower KW ratings.

Propane will not boil off as well at colder temps, but a large enough tank can overcome this.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:01:43 PM »

In fifty years working with thousands of gensets, I never run into a Propane Diesel one. Not saying it can not be, but they are as rare as hens teeth in my opinion.
Richad

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
belfert

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 08:08:53 PM »

They do convert diesels to natural gas, but I don't know about propane.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 08:11:51 PM »

They do convert diesels to natural gas, but I don't know about propane.

I saw several of these at the Jet propulsion Laboratory back in the seventies. They had to be started and warmed up on diesel and then switched over to run on natural gas. Probably could do the same thing on propane. These were 500KW units by the way.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 08:18:45 PM »

i'll have to eyeball it again tomorrow
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 09:09:05 PM »

Personally would stay away from propane.  While it is clean, reliable and will last a long time, you need a very large propane tank to get any kind of running time out of it.  Most that have owned them have been sorry for the amount of space that was consumed by the big tank.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 11:04:42 AM »

and to add to Tom's comment ... they can be hell to start in cold weather...
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 11:19:41 AM »

I have an Onan 5500w LP genny that has operated as designed for me, although I do have an 86 gallon propane tank.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 03:32:31 PM »

Years ago there was a difference in the summer/winter/northern/southern mix of propane/butane. I do not know if that is still the case or not.
If you filled up in the south in the winter time and then drove north into cold weather you would generally have problems with a propane furnace or hot water heater or genset or any other gas appliance not working properly.
In fact I recall reading years ago about a family that froze to death in their S/S because they were stuck in a snow storm in Wisconsin and they could not get their furnace to work.
Richard

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: