Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 09:50:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI 102EL3 w/fire damage  (Read 2699 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2007, 08:13:43 PM »

There is a '98 MCI 102EL3 at a local tow yard. There is some fire damage to the engine area and some fiberglass damage to the rear cap where the fireman opened it up with axes to check for fire extension.  Its in the hands of the insurance company now and Im waiting for a call back from them to see what they want for it. The fire damage appears to be in the motor compartment upper passenger side and seems to be mostly wiring. There dosent appear to be any damage to the motor itself, none of the paint is blistered and it appears clean. The belts are intact with the exception of the serpentine belt snapped. Im assuming I would need a complete wiring harness to start with and go from there. Its got a DD in it, although Im not sure of what size it is. I went inside the coach and there is no oder of burning nor any indication of the fire inside or anywhere else besides the passenger side rear engine area and where the rear cap was slightly scorched, than customized by the fire dept. I planned on calling MCI  in the am to get some prices on the harness. Is there anywhere else I might find one ? Also, any rough ideas what you guys would be comfortable paying for this coach (especially considering you can't hear it run ! ). Ive got two buddy's who are diesel mechanics and would be willing to help me with any repairs, so basiclly Ill be paying for parts...

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 08:21:09 PM »

The value is in the eye of the buyer. 
First thing would be to figure out what a smilar coach in good shape is worth. 
Next what do you figure the costs are to fix it.
If everything went wrong, how much could it cost to fix even if you paid dealer prices to do the repairs.

I'd probably want to pay less than the the value of the coach less the last figure.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »

My guess is you don't want it.

a bus that new with that kind of damage was totalled by the insurance company for a reason.

from what you say is wrong with it the insurance comapny should have fixed it if it was fixable.

most of these buses that catch on fire are not rebuilt....mostly due to the ammount of electronics in them, and the trouble to get them running right and reliably.

front end smashed into the back of a semi to the front axle....thats fixable

fire......not with my money

Again with what you say is wrong with it.......I'd say insurance comany is going to want 80k+...it wil part out for more than that
belfert

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 08:25:30 PM »

An E series of that year should have a Detroit Series 60 at 400 or 435 HP and most likely a Jake brake.  I would expect a B500 tranny as they didn't do manuals and the ZF Astronic was probably not available back then.  MCI also used Cat C-13 engines in the E series, but I don't know if they did that far back.

Insurance companies don't total buses unless the cost to repair is a pretty good percentage of the value of the bus.  Can the insurance company detail the repairs needed and the estimate cost?  You're getting the labor for mostly free so it might still be a good deal.

MCI is selling used E series from that era for $150,000 on up.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 08:29:38 PM »

Hi JP,

Put asside the fire damage for a moment, 98' was the first year for the EL3 and they have been known to be electrical nightmares because

of the totally redesigned body and electrical systems. The past year, I have been shopping for an "E"  and every mechanic I have talked to

advised me to stay away from the 98' and certain 99' serial #'s. Just passing on some good info......

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 08:33:30 PM »

Don't know anything about this bus - But I do know that Insurance companies total almost ALL vehicles now due to fraud and liabilty issues - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 09:44:33 PM »

Hello.

I'll back up Nick's comments about the 98's.

Unless the coach was in the hands of a premium carrier with top technicians who religiously applied all the updates, you will have issues to deal with...

That being said, most everyone else in the business knows that too, so that coach has two strikes against it's "value" ...in the hands of a caring, and electrically gifted busnut, a great opportunity?

As far as nimble goes, nothing in 45' turns like an MCI 102 EL3.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 10:56:27 PM »

While not for the faint of heart, I don't think that I would be trying to replace the whole wiring harness. If the damage doesn't extend too far, I might look at trying to replace the individual wires that burned. But I would only be looking at whether I could get to a good part of the harness to splice replacements to.

If the fire was started by overloaded wiring, this may not have much chance of success. And, it would depend on whether I could get the full wiring diagrams.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »

Hello.

I'll back up Nick's comments about the 98's.

Unless the coach was in the hands of a premium carrier with top technicians who religiously applied all the updates, you will have issues to deal with...

That being said, most everyone else in the business knows that too, so that coach has two strikes against it's "value" ...in the hands of a caring, and electrically gifted busnut, a great opportunity?

As far as nimble goes, nothing in 45' turns like an MCI 102 EL3.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

My S217 HDH does! And it's Setra to boot!

Nick and BW are 100% on the '98-'99 models as far as problem children go! Depends on how much time, $, & faith you wanna pour into something that is known for electrical & brake fires (happend once - chances are high it could happen again which is why ins co's ditch them rather than have the chance of a second time liability!)

All the others who posted are pretty much telling it like it is! How much can you afford from beginning to end? It's not impossible, but also not for the faint of heart either! Just depends on how serious you are, and what kinda budget your planning on! Personally I'd say find out what the insurance company valued the damage at and plan on spending that much or more (YES EVEN WITH FREE LABOR!) These almost always end up costing way more than expected to cost! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 07:59:09 AM »

Hello

Is the EL3 multi-plex, can't remember when the switch started... all the J models are.

With some luck, maybe just the wiring to the modules needs replacing?

And from the wiring diagrams for these I've seen at the shop, you'll be buying a big magnifying glass first!
Maybe take them to your friendly UPS Store and have them enlarged, a couple of copies made and mount one set of them on the wall.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 09:02:53 AM »

Perhaps you need to talk to Sam Caylor at Caylor's Supply in Rantoul,Kansas.
Sam buys wrecked and burnt late model MCI Coaches so he would have a better idea of what a person would be getting them self into buy buying a burnt MCI coach.
Sam can be reached at 785-878-3405 Huh
jlv
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 11:54:38 AM »

Well, after reading and absorbing all that you have written, and with the reasearch Ive done this morning, looks like Im going to pass on the coach..Thanks all again for the quick responses as usual !

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »

Still would be interesting in know what price the ins co puts on it.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 03:22:39 PM »

Hell, Sam Caylor will probalby buy this one!

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 05:30:34 PM »

I'd buy a Prevost...... Cool
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: