Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 01:11:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wire Sizing  (Read 979 times)
Iver

1979 MCI-9

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2007, 01:29:50 AM »

I am installing a new 3k inverter. It is mounted within 2ft. of the battery bank.  The battery bank consists of 4 six volt golf cart batteries.  What would be the correct size cable from the batteries to the inverter?

I guess I could calculate it out but I'm sure someone here would know.
                  Thanks, Iver.

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
"Life may not be the party we hoped for,
But while we are here we might as well dance".
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 04:03:06 AM »

you need the voltage of the inverter to know this Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 05:46:14 AM »

If it is 12 volt, you should you 4 aught.

Even if you batteries are within 2' of the inverter, you still will need longer cable than the 2'.  If it is short, the large size will not cost very much.

Do you have the batteries and inverter in separate compartments.  This should be done for 2 reasons.  1. Corrosive fumes from the batteries effecting the longevity of the inverter.  2. Hydrogen given-off by the batteries and any relay that may spark.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:54:59 AM »

I always use 4/0 (four/aught) cable (you cannot go too big, but you can go too small).  "Bigger is Better" Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 08:16:34 AM »

I agree with the above on the 4/0 cable, but would add that specify that the wire be a super strand, like a welding cable. These are very flexible and still capable to carry the required amps ( 200 - 225A ).

A hydraulic pressed on compression lug would be best to make the termination.

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 08:29:33 AM »

Although expensive, its a good idea to just go 4/0 with everthing on your p;rimary DC side.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 02:25:51 PM »

OOOO with 12 vdc configeration.....OO with a 24 vdc battery configeration.  Your set up sounds well engineeered as the run (length) is very short.  Your max voltage drop to the invertor will be nil, which the invertor will like best.  Bigger cable is better cable for the hi amperage low voltage applications.  Use multistrand welders cable if you can find it.  More vibration resistant.  You will not be disssappointed.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 02:36:27 PM »

I've got 24 volts, but still went with 0000 wire for everything.  And at the batteries - at least before the series portion - they are 12 volts.  Its surprising how much voltage drop you can get even with relatively short runs with DC current.  Voltage drop is ususally more of a concern than amperage when calculatging DC wiring sizes.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: