Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 07:58:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Propane Plumbing  (Read 3987 times)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2007, 03:57:09 AM »

check gumpy's website,  I would prefer what he did if i was doing it.  seemed easier to work with too.

Search the archive, there was a interesting thread IIRC awhile back on this subject.  may have been on the old board.

oops, typed this last night, fell asleep and posted it this morning, sorry for the redundancy Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 05:16:47 AM by NewbeeMC9 » Logged

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
belfert

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 04:31:27 AM »

Copper is used for most indoor natural gas here in Minnesota.  I don't know why California is different.  I'll probably use CSST in my bus.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2007, 05:55:16 AM »

I believe it has something to do with the odor they add to the gas reacting to the copper. I do not know if this same material is put in propane.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2007, 06:47:03 AM »

I do not know what is added to NG, but they add Mercaptin to LP. Without it, LP is odorless. Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
maria-n-skip

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2007, 06:51:08 AM »

Talked to my soninlaw last night...

They (power company) currently use polyethylene (sp) and heat fuse all joints. It is yellow the
 old stuff is orange.  A few years back I watched the comp. splice an orange pipe from a backhoe oops!
 he had a hand press to attach the pipe to the fitting and a big clamp ring set-up.

I've had to deal with copper in the past and it seems that when copper gets old it tends to get brittle
  not a scientific claim just what I saw.

Single runs to each appliance. I'll think about that one....

Skip
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2007, 09:33:22 AM »

Skip,

The S&S I had had a single 1 inch run of black pipe down the center of the coach.  It had numerious "T"s where copper would take off for the appliance.  It wasn't single runs from the propane tank as I may have implied.  I think the objective was to hold the joints in the copper to an absolute min. (ie ZERO). I went back to that as it only takes one slow leaker to create a bad memory in the least.  In a bus, I think I would take the advice of this board and make a manifold and "do" run seperate gas runs of copper with a valve for each at the manifold.  Works for water.  The electric master cutoff is a must have for summer nights and leaving the coach.

My thoughts,

John
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 11:40:15 AM by JohnEd » Logged

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2007, 10:26:56 AM »

I was installing an awning or something on a S/S once and was drilling a hole thru the side. With my good luck, I drilled a hole into the black iron pipe carrying gas to the reefer. What a bitch to repair that.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
maria-n-skip

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2007, 02:19:43 PM »

Richard, Can't really hoha on that. I basically did a like move on mine last weekend......
             No gas and copper........So yep I'll be doing some plumbing.

John Ed I was considering running two main black pipe one down each side.
      Drivers side furnace and generator.
      Passenger side Refrig, hot water, and furnace.

With what has been said I am rethinking.........oh the  Smiley

Skip
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2007, 07:11:08 PM »

Skip,

That would work just fine and in my limited experience that is the way it is usually done.  From what Gumpy Dog said his "trunk" line then has black iron feeders that run right up to the appliance.  Mine and most go to the appliance from the trunk with copper as there are usually a lot of bends and angles.  I think the seperate run design with a valve for each appliance run located at the manifold is "fancy".  It would come in handy if you needed to remove an appliance and still keep the gas available as then you need plugs for the appliance you are removing.

Good luck and send pics,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2007, 08:12:43 PM »

Here in Maryland they changed the code to allow only black pipe & the corrugated SS (brand name Gastite). They said they quit allowing copper because thieves were stealing it & selling it. That actually happened in Cambridge. A contractor had piped the entire house and the gas company came out, checked and passed the installation, turned on the gas & left. That night, we (the fire company) got a call for "odor of gas in the area". When we got on location we found thieves had ripped out all the copper and not even shut off the gas. We had to evacuate several blocks.

All I had to say about that was it's a shame the thieves didn't smoke........ Angry

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2007, 08:35:31 PM »

...  From what Gumpy Dog said his "trunk" line then has black iron feeders that run right up to the appliance. 

I should have been more clear. I used black pipe to go from the CSST up through the floor. Then I put on a shutoff valve, and used flaired copper
to go from the shutoff valve to the connection up in the stove.

On the other stub, I put on a shutoff valve, and brass fittings to install a quick disconnect for the camp stove.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
bigtim44

Red buses go faster!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2007, 08:40:47 PM »

On our bus I went with the CSST(gastite) like 'Gumpy' did and used his advice on the subject.I did the one night certification course at the local plumbers wholesale shop,then plumbed the propane on the bus with CSST(gastite).I have runs going to the stove,furnace,hot water heater and the fridge.No blackpipe or copper on our bus for the propane. Grin
Tim

Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2007, 09:01:27 PM »

I found a few more photos that show the two stubs off the CSST, including the black pipe through the floor. I've added them to the web page at http://www.gumpydog.com/bus/MC9_WIP/Propane_Distribution/propane_distribution.htm.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Dreamscape

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2007, 02:29:19 AM »

Great looking work Gumpy!

Great idea on propane delivery. Looks much easier than black pipe too.

Thanks for the heads up.

Paul
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2007, 06:47:32 PM »

Craig,

The missunderstanding is probably mine and you were probably crystal clear.  I have never heard of CSST and I am sure that if you are using it it must be A-OK.  I was surprised to learn that the gas pressure in my house was .5psi or less.  I told the installer that I had believed all these years that the psi was 125.  He surprised me and said I was right about the pressure but that was the main feed line before the regulator.  When he said that I remembered that I had read the pressure off of a gauge in the main gas line in the steele mill.
 in Pa.  And heard it quoted by the FD after a gas fire nearly destroyed a building.

Thank you, Sir,

John

—Pla
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: