Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 03:57:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanner Question  (Read 765 times)
ttomas

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2007, 01:47:08 PM »

we installed the gen set that we used in the old bus. Something is amiss. Anyhow,If I can not get it running, CAN I USE THE VANNER TO CHARGE MY 12 VOLT HOUSE BATTERIES? The 12 v alternator did will not make the can do list until we return

DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 02:02:21 PM »

I have a 24 volt house system and charge it directly from the engine's alternator.  It's connected through a 250 amp relay so that the house batteries don't draw down the start batteries with the engine off.  I pull my 12 volts off of the 'low' battery and the Vanner keeps 'em equally charged.  My Vanner is an 80 amp model, so I'm in pretty good shape.  Perhaps something like this would work for you, although you might have to rearrange some wiring.  I'm assuming you have a 24 volt system and inverter...

David
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 05:54:10 AM »

Yes you can. I use a Vanner to charge my 12v house battterys while running down the road.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
belfert

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 07:51:13 AM »

For you guys that have hooked a 24 volt alternator to your house batteries, where have you actually tapped into the 24 volt from the alternator?

DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 09:58:37 AM »

For you guys that have hooked a 24 volt alternator to your house batteries, where have you actually tapped into the 24 volt from the alternator?

Simple.  From the 24 volt positive cable that leads to the start batteries.  I connected mine at the load side of the disconnect switch.  It then goes to a 250 amp cont. duty solenoid /relay (combiner) to the house batteries.  The start batteries also have an Intelletec 'BigBoy' latching solenoid disconnect (so I don't have to get out and flip that big switch to disconnect) that's installed after the manual disconnect.  If I have a bad start battery, I turn the manual disconnect off, turn on the combiner solenoid, and turn on the 'BigBoy' solenoid.  This give me the flexibility to 1) charge house batteries from the alternator either manually, automatically (when the alternator's actually putting out), or keep them disconnected 2) have an emergency 'jump start' from the house batteries if needed and 3) keep my start batteries charged by  occasionally combining the two sets when on AC and the charger's running.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: