Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 06:32:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prevost Champion  (Read 1757 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2006, 12:17:35 PM »

I'm going to look at a 1970 Prevost champion conversion.  Can anyone tell me specific areas of concern in this model?
They say it has 8V71, Jake Brake, New tires, 13 speed transmission w/ new clutch in 2002, Shephard steering.

Thanks,

Len Silva

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 08:42:39 PM »

Hey there Len,

Any luck with this so far?  I know we have some Prevost owners here.  Anybody out there with thoughts on Len's question?

Len, are you adding a second bus (starting a fleet?), or trading buses?

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 05:58:52 AM »

Phil,

Thanks for bumping me up.

I did go look at this coach:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4641079449&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

It might be a good deal for someone but it had a lot of deferred maintenance.
The engine smoked (blue) so bad it was embarrassing, lots of air leaks - couldn't get the front to come up, some obviously patched roof leaks etc. On the other hand, it does have a Webasto, diesel generator (couldn't see it to get info), Jake, Road Ranger trans, etc.

Every time I go look at a bus, I come back to my 4104, thinking I should just spend the money on it. 10 MPG vs 6-7 is a pretty good incentive these days.

BTW, on the way back from looking at this bus, we stopped in at an RV dealer and looked at a 1997 Monaco Executive with only 50K on it.  This MH was immaculate and still looked and ran like new.

However, the cabinets had plastic latches, some of which were broken, the drawer slides were the cheapest you could find anywhere and some were broken, the generator was on a slide that went out, but they couldn't get it to retract, etc. etc. If that visible stuff was done so cheaply, what about the things you can't see?  This on a MH that was obviously well taken care of and retailed for $255,000 in 1997.

It's back to busses.

My 4104 runs well but needs new tires and wheels, spring brakes, Sheppard steering, a new generator, and paint - a lot of money to put into a 50 year old bus, but I'm leaning that way. I have just put off committing to it while I make the decision.

I've got some questions regarding the 4104, but I'll start a new thread.

Thanks,

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 06:42:18 AM »

Phil,

Thanks for bumping me up.

I did go look at this coach:
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4641079449&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

It might be a good deal for someone but it had a lot of deferred maintenance.
The engine smoked (blue) so bad it was embarrassing, lots of air leaks - couldn't get the front to come up, some obviously patched roof leaks etc. On the other hand, it does have a Webasto, diesel generator (couldn't see it to get info), Jake, Road Ranger trans, etc.

Every time I go look at a bus, I come back to my 4104, thinking I should just spend the money on it. 10 MPG vs 6-7 is a pretty good incentive these days.

BTW, on the way back from looking at this bus, we stopped in at an RV dealer and looked at a 1997 Monaco Executive with only 50K on it.  This MH was immaculate and still looked and ran like new.

However, the cabinets had plastic latches, some of which were broken, the drawer slides were the cheapest you could find anywhere and some were broken, the generator was on a slide that went out, but they couldn't get it to retract, etc. etc. If that visible stuff was done so cheaply, what about the things you can't see?  This on a MH that was obviously well taken care of and retailed for $255,000 in 1997.

It's back to busses.

My 4104 runs well but needs new tires and wheels, spring brakes, Sheppard steering, a new generator, and paint - a lot of money to put into a 50 year old bus, but I'm leaning that way. I have just put off committing to it while I make the decision.

I've got some questions regarding the 4104, but I'll start a new thread.

Thanks,

Len

Len,
We went to  a good sized RV show about a month ago at Darlington Speedway to maybe get some ideas we could steal for our 4103. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in my life. We looked at some 1/2 million dollar Fleetwoods and Bounder and dutch Stars that were so cheaply built I would have been afraid to take possesion.
For instance, on 3 of the Fleetwood Pushers with the Big Cat engines and fancy interiors, the dash panel where the vinyl comes up to meet the top was just laid over the edge of the top of the dash. no welt, no trim, nada se nada.
2 had cabinet doors that had fallen off. The doors were made of MDF with 1/2" screws through the edge.
2 had gensets that couldn't start because there was no fuel line to it.
The passenger seat in the Dutch Stars wiggled from weak pedestals. I can imagine hitting something and having the passenger go through the windshield still attached to the seat.
I was so disgusted I left without even picking up my FREE cup cozy!
For my money, I think I'll stick with my old, safe, reliable, low tech PD4103.
Or maybe some day switch out to a MCI 102A3 or something.
Dallas
jlaney
prevost one

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 05:14:17 PM »

hello from tyler
i saw a 70 prevost on e bay could this be the same bus. i run a 80 model lemirage which has
been re skinned with the slick metal sides. it looks as new as the 90 models. it is a better ride
for me , with the allison trans. and a lot easyier to convert. i left all of the windows and worked
my wall in between the windows. no cabinets over the windows. i like the electric fire place the
 most.thanks jt.

j.t. laney  tyler texas 1980 prevost lemirage
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: