Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:56:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KBUNNYSTARR needs thoughts on trip mapping  (Read 3021 times)
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2007, 04:25:53 PM »

Smiley Shocked Smiley Shocked Cheesy Wink Wink Hello Everyone!  Wow...what a long strange trip is been Smiley   I hope everyone is doing well, I have had quite the summer.....I currently have my bus in Olancha, CA and need to drive it to Redding, CA in the next month...few weeks maybe.  I am gonna home base in Redding for the winter, for about 6 months. The obvious route is 5, but I hate backtracking on 395 to 58 and over to 5 and was wondering what everyone thinks about taking 395 north to either50 w thru sac to 5 or or some other route around there and then over ( west) to 5...are you following me?  how is 395 north of olancha ?  anyone know?

any thoughts on the best way to get to Redding from Olancha?  hugs to everyone, Ive missed ya!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Songman

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 04:31:54 PM »

395 is good all the way up to Bishop, I know. I think it is good all the way. You could cut off to Sacramento but I'd look at going on up to Reno and across. I think it is better travel, not to mention that the drive between Sac and Redding is boring and bare.
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 04:36:05 PM »

hi thanx for the reply Cheesy  i know between olancha and bishop is good and agree between sac and redding is bare...i was just trying to avoid out of the way as much as possible and also was concerned about how curvey the road is on 395 north of bishop, and how far i should go north on it before cutting over......i dont want to push my luck Shocked)

Songman

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 04:42:18 PM »

I understand exactly... Looks to me like if you are going to go to Bishop and think about cutting over to Sac, you are already past the worst of the curves by the time you get that far. The turn off through Yosemite is probably also pretty curvy. For keeping it straight, the best bet is down to Mojave as you mentioned.. I think I would just take it slow and enjoy the ride north. Mojave takes you a long way out of the way. On a map, going to Reno looks like the closest and the worst of the curves are just north of Bishop anyway... My GPS and MapQuest both suggest that way and I have it set to not get me on little winding roads.

Where are you moving to? I have friends in Palo Cedro.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 04:44:09 PM by Songman » Logged
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 04:47:51 PM »

I would suggest just taking 395 all the way north through Reno continuing up to Susanville where you'd grab highway 44 north to 299 west into Redding.  Not the fastest, but very pretty.  Much better than the boring drive from Sac to Redding.  I would take an additional day just to enjoy the scenery, and possible stops in Reno and Susanville.  Good Luck, TomC  PS: all are designated truck routes.

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 05:06:15 PM »

Grin Grin Grin you guys rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  i am moving my bus to Redding for the winter.  Olancha is tooo remote for me for any length of time , especially in the cold.  I will use it as a home base and settle in for about 6 months there, I need to chill out and relax  for a good bit of time.  SO it sounds like 395 north it is....i dont care about it taking more time, I jsut dont want any u-shaped road suprises, and want to keep it on safe roads...sounds like its the best bet so far! 

kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 05:09:14 PM »

u say just north of bishop seems the windy -ist part...who has driven that...how bad is it?  bad bad or jsut take it slow>?  i will have my car in redding already so wont be towing  anything

Dallas

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 07:27:39 PM »

this is not meant to sound hateful or anything,.... but...

How come the only time we hear from you is when you need or want something?

Last time we heard anything from you was April 16.

Just wondering.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 08:01:48 PM »

And I have missed you and wondered what had happened to you.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 08:02:41 PM »

this is not meant to sound hateful or anything,.... but...

How come the only time we hear from you is when you need or want something?

Last time we heard anything from you was April 16.

Just wondering.
I believe that is when we hear from most anyone. LOL
Ricahrd

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 10:10:58 PM »

Wink
Thanx Richard.

:-\And Dallas, umm, I will respond to your question but wont participate in a discussion about it any further.  I hope I have not offended you or anyone else on here.  I was not awae there was a monthly quota to comply with on # of posts/person/time frame.  I write when I have questions, and when I found the bus sites yrs and yrs and yrs ago I relized thes sites/ boards are filled with intelligent, kind, knowledgeable, helpful people willing and wanting to offer help suggestions and words of thought and suggestions, if one takes the tiem to ask specifically.  I thought thats what this was all about....connecting with others with similar interests and helping each other for good ness sake and human to human kindness.  I am not here to WANT or NEED...and I surely have no advice to offer as I am new to buses and all of this.  If I can help I will/would....but Im not sure how that is possible.  I dont "chat' on line for the sake of chatting...I am outside more than in, I jsut burried, 6 members of my family in the last 2.5 yrs and I have been spending this summer doing somethigns I would regret NOT doing in the future if i didnt, and spendign time for me for the first time in many yrs.....I get on the computer to do business, stay in contact wit friends, adn read up on things I need more knowledge on.  I love my bus, but dont live for it...........I respect the knowledge I am blinded by here...it is vast....and so much kindness in the past....I thought people liked to offer suggestions and thoughts to each other here.  If I am not welcome to ask questions when I have them, I question the motivation and intention of the board............I hope I have properly shown my appreciation for you all here and not offended anyone by "coming and going"......I dont subscribe to ANY board that I have to checkinto...and spend as little time typing as I can so Ican enjoy the green under my feet and the blue above my head.....desks, computers and inside are necessary but not where I spend my time unless I have to.  Peace and blessings to you.

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 10:19:36 PM »

I agree with the route that TomC proposed.  I just drove it this summer.  No worries at all, unless its that in some places its pretty isolated, and in some places there was this summer a lot of road work and some delays.  I did not compare mileage, but the route is much more interesting and pretty than I-5.  I would not hesitate to drive it again.

"I would suggest just taking 395 all the way north through Reno continuing up to Susanville where you'd grab highway 44 north to 299 west into Redding.  Not the fastest, but very pretty."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 10:25:53 PM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 10:25:02 PM »

Cheesy thanx for the post jim!  cell reception everywhere ok??? (on 395)  i appreciate your thoughts Wink

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 10:28:14 PM »

There were some spots that the cell phone didn't work.  I can't remember just where, and I wasn't trying to call the whole time driving either, so you'll be taking yoru chances there.  All the towns have good coverage, and many spots inbetween.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
ol713

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »

I would suggest just taking 395 all the way north through Reno continuing up to Susanville where you'd grab highway 44 north to 299 west into Redding.  Not the fastest, but very pretty.  Much better than the boring drive from Sac to Redding.  I would take an additional day just to enjoy the scenery, and possible stops in Reno and Susanville.  Good Luck, TomC  PS: all are designated truck routes.

I agree with tom,  I have taken this route in a car.  Great scenery, Just can't
be in a hurry. Well worth the trip as long as you are in this neck of the woods.
                                     Good luck.  Merle.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: