Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 03:53:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody want a flat in motion satteleit dish?  (Read 4572 times)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 06:41:10 PM »

I'd have to clean out my pants after something like that!  'Course, I'd have lost the sat dish, two ACs, and various assorted other antennas.... Huh
Glad nothing else was damaged!   
Now that you mention the GPS talking...mine chatters incessantly, but since I don't hear very well, I ignore most of it. 
I do plan trips on it...then it'll show any bridges that would be problematic.  So sez the instructions..it has never warned me of an impending low bridge..but, so far haven't hit one.  Could see how easy that would be up in the NorthEast.  Ya'll have too many low bridges. 
BTW, JON...I can still see well enough to find the valvestems on your tires! 
Just wait.. you'll see just as bad as I do, eventually...well, a really long time I suppose...if you're lucky!  Wink
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.Ē

Ayn Rand
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 09:32:57 AM »

Nick,

Double Ouch!   Cry

Low bridges are always one of those things in the back of my mind.

Hopefully they will be in the front if when I encounter one!

Glad You and the rest of the coach are OK.

That must be a terrible noise just over your head..... Shocked

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 10:09:46 AM »

Hi Cliff,

Hitting the low bridge was the easy part, backing out an almost 150 yard's to the intersection with

a line of cars behind me was the hard part... What can you do, just put the back-up beeper on and start creeping back.

Most people moved, there was one A**hole that thought I was unconvincing him too much and decided to play chicken

with a 44,000lb bus. I went slow and steady, through the back-up camera, I saw he waited until I was 3-4 feet from him

before he darted back into a driveway. Smart choice, since I had no plans to stop for such a large Ego... in a small car.

This guy didn't realize that I just destroyed a 1700 dollar satellite and I think it was worth way more then what he was driving.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Dreamscape

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 10:49:17 AM »

Nick,

Are you willing to share what all that cost?  Wink

Paul
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 04:30:38 PM »

Nick,
    Sorry to hear of the demise of your satellite dish.  I wouldn't be to quick to jump into one of the low profile dishes though.  Check their coverage maps before making the commitment.  You've had a dish that certainly outperforms the A7.   The KVH A7 isn't the only ultra low profile dish, you might want to look at Raysat too, they do claim better coverage in northern areas.  I'm probably going to use the Raysat but I haven't taken the 'plunge' yet.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 06:07:22 PM »

Thanks Jerry,

KVH boasts that they have the best coverage of any other sat co. ??

http://www.kvh.com/pop_ups/a7_specs.asp

Here is their maps of the US

Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 06:22:49 PM »

I guess I'm the guinnie pig for you guy's.....

I'm suppose to have it tomorrow and if so, it will be in before the weekend. I will give a report!

A brief from the site:

Low-profile in-motion satellite TV system for RVs with low-clearance requirements

Leave the DVDs at home when traveling in your RV, truck, or bus. Instead enjoy more than 300 channels of DIRECTV service on the open road. Ideal for in-motion applications and vehicles with height restrictions, the ultra-low-profile TracVision A7 sets a new standard for fun on the road with live DIRECTV programming right on your RVís video screens.* All-new for 2007, the TracVision A7 has multi-satellite capability providing the broadest selection of DIRECTV programming available on the go! Donít miss that big game, traffic report, or breaking local news story again. Traveling has never been this much fun. Itís trueÖthe best seat in the house is now in your RV! 

Highlights:

In-motion reception of local programming along with more than 300 channels of DIRECTV satellite
TV programming and 70+ channels of XM Satellite Radio
5-inch high, patented dome available in either a high-gloss black or silver automotive-grade dome
Compatible with virtually all standard factory-installed and aftermarket video systems, including those with S-video inputs
Includes exclusive compact 12V DIRECTV receiver that retains the program guide for the fastest start-up available.
Easy system control thanks to onscreen messaging and a backlit RF/IR remote control that allows you to change channels even if you can't see the receiver

Nick-
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 06:25:02 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 06:28:41 PM »

We've got the KVH A7 ourselves, and we've been pretty pleased with it so far.  By adding it to our home account, the service only costs us an extra $4.99 per month!  

We chose it because we needed something very low profile to to fit TempBus inside our garage. . .and when we move into BigBus, you can bet it's coming with us, even though the garage door on that side is taller.  I wish we could have purchased it for the price you found, but we were on vacation and decided to have it installed for us.  

Now, the local channel thing. . .my experience is that you can only get your local channels if you are in close proximinity to the original area.   I was told that they only beam the channels to a specific area and if you get away from that geographic area, you won't receive them.  So, when we're in Dallas, we can't receive the OKC channels.  Has anyone else been able to get around this?   Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 06:34:01 PM »

Hi Christy,

Yes, just call Direct TV and they will shoot you the local channels for the area you are in. Just have a zip code ready.

I do that every year when I'm in Florida.  My local channels are able to follow me from N.J. to Virginia, and From N.J. to Ohio.

Nick-

Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 06:41:10 PM »

How weird. . .I guess I just got a bad guy when I called and asked about it.  I'll try that again next time we head south.  Thanks, Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 07:13:47 PM »

Nick,
    KVH has hidden in their owner's manual/installation that the A7's minimum elevation angle is 31 degrees.  With their maps and that angle you see what you're getting.  The large domes all have minimum elevations near 20 degrees, that's what you had.  Raysat is an almost unknown company that offers an antenna much like he A7 but with a 20 degree minimum elevation and support for either Dish network or Direct TV. 
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 07:40:50 PM »

Hi Jerry,

The A7 is equiped with the Hybrid Phased Array tech from the millitary tech, it looks up to the sky differently then a normal sats.

If you can picture a funnel that curves horrizonal after it shoots up a distance, then you can picture how it works. The need for

less then 31 deg. is not required for the A7. That's one of the selling points that turned me to it. Tall trees next to you are most likely not a problem.

"so they say"  we will see!

Nick-

Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 07:55:34 PM »

Nick,
    'Less than 31 degrees not required' is a fine example of the marketing proverb " if you can't fix it feature it".  The Direct TV satellite set allows some coverage throughout the US without looking below 31 degrees but it certainly doesn't guarantee that what you want to see is on a 'bird' the A7 can see.  The Raysats also use 'hybrid phased array' technology, that's how both get the low profile.  I'm looking forward to your evaluation.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120   
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 08:22:35 PM »

Now that you mention the GPS talking...mine chatters incessantly, but since I don't hear very well, I ignore most of it. 
I do plan trips on it...then it'll show any bridges that would be problematic.  So sez the instructions..it has never warned me of an impending low bridge..but, so far haven't hit one.  Could see how easy that would be up in the NorthEast.  Ya'll have too many low bridges. 
BTW, JON...I can still see well enough to find the valvestems on your tires! 
Just wait.. you'll see just as bad as I do, eventually...well, a really long time I suppose...if you're lucky!  Wink
JR

I've got MS street Atlas and I'm not seein bridge heights, 

I might need you to see my valvestems sometime when i get stuck under a low bridge Embarrassed Cheesy

-anyway JR why would you want to see my old valve stems when you have such a lovely misses to look at! Wink

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 05:08:26 AM »

Nick
"Includes exclusive compact 12V DIRECTV receiver that retains the program guide for the fastest start-up available"  Is this a HD receiver?  Is this antenna capable of receiving HD programming?

Jon,
   There is a web site (which I have saved, but can't find right now) that allows you to download height restrictions with several height options, as well as Cracker Barrel, WalMart, and a host of other databases. The site has these data bases in the language for M&S Streets, DeLorme, and others.  Maybe Dallas or someone else can post a link to the web site.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: