Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 01:28:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody want a flat in motion satteleit dish?  (Read 4417 times)
maria-n-skip

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2007, 06:33:11 AM »

Nick,

I haven't seen anybody step up and want your old satilite dish!
   Got any pictures?

Skip
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2007, 06:34:48 AM »

Well, it happened again. . . got set up here, called Direct TV, and they told me the same thing, even the 2nd person I talked to said it, that they could give me New York East coast feed, and West coast feed, but could not give me my own local channels from OKC, OR the channels from Dallas!  

I hate not getting OKC, but I hate it even worse not being to at least get channels from the closest large metropolitan area!  So, what phone # do you call and exactly what do you say to get your local channels instead of East Coast & West Coast?  Thanks, Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2007, 07:13:54 AM »

Christy,
    First, great to see ya back on the BB. When the tech came to our place last week to replace our antenna with the new one for HD, I had a chance to ask him a few questions. Per this tech, the local signals are sent in what they call a spot beam. This signal only covers the area around the city. Once you are out of the spot beam area, there is no way to get that signal. As far as Direct TV allowing you to get the local channels where you are located, I don't have an answer. I am sure the signal is there, it is just a matter of them allowing your receiver to process it. 
    We still have the Winegard batwing antenna on our bus and use it for the local channels when we are traveling. When we were in Huntsville, AL last month, we found that we could receive local channels in HD over our batwing using our new LCD TV.

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2007, 08:43:49 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I am confused (yes I know most of my posts start that way).  I thought I understood Nick to say you can get the local channels ( with local being where you are physically sitting at the time). I think Christy is asking if she can get her local channels from home no matter where she is? 

Are we talking about two different things here or am I just geezing again. Since I don't have an satellite service it is all over my head anyway.....

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2007, 08:47:20 AM »

You know - there is a similar thread running on Rec.outdoors.rv-travel & the two threads have really opened my eyes.  I thought that the CRTC (Cdn Radio Television Commission which is the federal body that regulates all broadcasting in Canuckland) was the most screwed up organization of government but I am coming to believe that they are maybe just the norm in their field.  Talk about clinging to outdated modes of thinking.  In a mobile world with people communicating around the globe and travelling just about as freely, what is the big deal about "local" feeds.  Its all about advertising of course but what business is that of the regulatory body?

And FWIW on the Canuck model I *CAN* get a pseudo-local feed anywhere I am.  I can get the CTV or CBC feed from Regina just by scrolling through the list of channels until I find it - the same as I have to do when we are "at home".  The next question is why anyone would want the local feed given that it is taken up almost entirely with what is going on with the hometown hockey or football team but that's a whole other discussion.  I do notice that all I get on the US channels is the national network feeds. 

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:52:49 AM by bobofthenorth » Logged

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2007, 09:02:05 AM »

Hi Guy's,

Frank is correct about the local channels. The channels in the area that you are in is what you will recieve.

For me, just to recieve the big "3" networks is what I need for sporting events and such.

I'm on the road now with the bus sitting at the Cape May Ferry and the A7 is working just great.

The only thing I had to do since I fired it up the other day is calabrate the gyros as per KVH's instructions to oriate the unit.

I now have 3 recievers operateing in the bus.. I know, go ahead and laugh!!  All working great.

The old L2 inmotion unit can be repaired, so KVH has told me. It needs a new curved dish and a new dome.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »

Ok, I get you now Nick, I misunderstood what you were saying earlier and thought you were able to receive your LOCAL channels when in Florida, but I just read it wrong.  I know it sounds corny, but I like our local people from the OKC area. . the weather guy we watch each morning is just a hoot, and well, I like to know what's going on at home, even if I'm not there. 

If I've good reception, I can go online and read the newspaper, so that's good, but it just seems like when we travel, the local newspeople in other areas are just a bunch of "yay-hoos", ha ha.  I know that probably, when people come to Oklahoma, they think the same thing! 

When I get the paperwork turned in, we'll get the west coast and east coast feeds, and that will just have to do.  Most of the time, if we're watching TV, we watch the history channel anyway.  Does that make us sound old?  ha ha, Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2007, 10:40:01 AM »

. . . . if we're watching TV, we watch the history channel anyway.  Does that make us sound old?  ha ha, Christy Hicks

Us too, but the kids ask "how come you don't remember seeing it on the news?"  Cheesy

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: