Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 01:01:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did I make a mistake?  (Read 3172 times)
NCbob

« on: May 18, 2006, 02:56:53 PM »

Yesterday I was changing light bulbs in my clearance lights getting ready for the NC inspection..while working from a 5' stepladder and I said, "Myself, this is crazy. You're too darned old to be falling off a ladder on your head...besides it will hurt. You have to find a better way".

My daughter had told me recently that she bought her husband a Little Giant ladder and he loved it. Now, for the record, my son-in-law is probably one of the best auto mechanics I've ever seen and is great at restoring old cars. He owns a 1953 Chevy 1/2 Ton pickup
with a 350 HP 350 cu. in. engine (candy apple Red) that is 'too kill for.

My thoughts on the 'ladder' is that it's short enough for him to hide behind the 'beer' refrigerator in the garage and she'll never miss it. He hates to 'do things on the honey-do list'.

I succumbed to the pitches, and my daughter's recommendation and bought a Little Giant for the bus. While it hasn't arrived yet I have visions of: Being the most popular guy in the campground 'cause I have a LG ladder, having to listen to people scrounging around my storage bays at night looking for 'the ladder', having to go beat the living hell out of someone because they didn't return my ladder.

Would anyone like to tell me of their sorrow over buying one of these...or their joys?

Mr. Moderator, I wish to state that I have absolutely no financial interest in Little Giant nor would I receive and renumerations for mentioning the brand name on this board. You have my permission to delete this disclaimer.

NCbob

I have no problem with your wording NCBOB,
Nick Badame-
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 07:29:36 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged
DrDave

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 03:37:36 PM »

Yeah, You need armored gloves and a degree in which way the ladder hinges.

Mine keeps coming out looking like a " Z "
and it is heavy to manhandle along with awkward to configure.

But two guys + two beers make anything easier.....
NCbob

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 05:35:17 PM »

Hang loose then Dave...I'll be right over for lessons.  And I'll bring the beer!  Is Heinekins OK?

NCbob
DrDave

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 05:51:22 PM »

Hang loose then Dave...I'll be right over for lessons. And I'll bring the beer! Is Heinekins OK?

NCbob

Ha... I put that thing in the storage shed about a year ago and hid it from my wife. Shocked

These days ladders and me seem to go different directions unless securely bungee-corded to the side
of the bus. I love bungee cords and duct tape.... Roll Eyes
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 06:09:50 PM »

Hi Bob,
Let me know how your NC inspection goes. When I tagged my coach in NC (about 5 years ago), I couldn't get anyone to inspect the thing. Called our major local RV center and was told NC doesn't do airbrakes, and DOT inspections don't cover motorhomes. Also no emission inspection on diesels in NC. I don't have an NC inspection and have been told it isn't necessary. I've even been pulled by DOT and they had no comment about the lack thereof.
I'd be interested in your outcome!
Best, JR
BTW, you coming down to Dallas' this weekend? Sounds like he has a few buses coming. Be a good time to see what you "don't" want to do. Wink
I was at Denton, NC last weekend and met the guy (Alex) who owns the fine looking '86 MCi 96A2 featured on Sawyers website. It has a 12' slideout. Very nice exterior. He's coming down this weekend. I'm going AM tomorrow.

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
NCbob

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 06:44:25 PM »

JR, I sure do wish I could make it to Dallas' shindig...but...I don't have enough clutch to pull the mountains between here and there.
 From what I've read on this, and the other, boards I'm afraid I'm going  to miss a lot of S & G's.

I'm going to take the 'monster' (she used to be the "Road Princess) over to Dave's Coach near Morganton in a week or so to get her a hitch in her gitalong and a bit of breath in her lungs (clutch and new air compressor)...and a few more items not only too numerous to mention but too monetarily painful to discuss.

Dallas' and Cat's get together sounds like more fun than a goat ropin'!  But y'all will have to color me absent for this one.  You can bet your sweet rear bumper that I won't miss the next one though.

Regards and best wishes to all who are fortunate to attend, and may the Bus God's guide y'all there and safetly back home.

NCbob
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 07:14:47 PM »

I've wanted one of those in the worst way for a really long time. I refuse to buy anything from tv or that is gimicky in any way. Several times I have watched the informicial and I just want one. I spend alot of time daily on a ladder or scafolding, the Little Giant seems to be a useful addition to these. The other day I was at Sam's Club and saw that they were selling them there. They have 2 sizes available. I would have bought the large one on lthe spot except I am on tight budget and I was there specificly to buy my house batteries for the coach. Next time I'm there I'm gettin one. If I hate it I will return it. I bet you guiys that have yours put away didn't give it much of a chance. Has anyone spent more than a couple hours learning to operate it? I know I wouldn't screw with one very long if it wasn't a work tool for me.

If it was a mistake, I'll be there with ya.
Dallas

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 07:26:53 PM »

JR, I sure do wish I could make it to Dallas' shindig...but...I don't have enough clutch to pull the mountains between here and there.
 From what I've read on this, and the other, boards I'm afraid I'm going  to miss a lot of S & G's.

I'm going to take the 'monster' (she used to be the "Road Princess) over to Dave's Coach near Morganton in a week or so to get her a hitch in her gitalong and a bit of breath in her lungs (clutch and new air compressor)...and a few more items not only too numerous to mention but too monetarily painful to discuss.

Dallas' and Cat's get together sounds like more fun than a goat ropin'!  But y'all will have to color me absent for this one.  You can bet your sweet rear bumper that I won't miss the next one though.

Regards and best wishes to all who are fortunate to attend, and may the Bus God's guide y'all there and safetly back home.

NCbob

Boy, that sounds like an excuse to live a mundane existence.
We not only allow busues, we also have room for S&S's and tents and, hey, I've got 3 sleeping cabins empty! If nothing else, we have a motel across the freeway you could get a room at.
Plus, we guarantee that no one will starve. We just fed Gary and Linda Labombard dinner and they didn't holler too much about the t-bone!
Of course, we don't eat like that all the time, sometimes it's beans and cornbread.
But then again, the beer's always cold! (Shhhhh, don't tell Cat that I have extra beer!)
Dallas
PS. if you need, I can send you directions to get here.
DF
Rich L

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 07:49:55 PM »

I got one of these 16 years ago, before they were advertised on TV.  I love the ladder.  I have notice they have improved the hinge points since I got mine.  The hinges are fine on mine it's just the release buttons are hard to pull, they fixed that on the newer ones with a big orange knob to push.

I've lent mine to a lot of neighbors, they all say they don't want to return it.  The only thing I can say is it is a bit heavy.  I have the shorter one and it weighs about 25 lbs, I can't imagine what a longer one weighs.

I think you'll find it quite useful.

Good luck,

Rich
Ace

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 08:40:52 PM »

I purchased one very similar tothe TV type at Home Depot and because it folds up pretty small (approx. 4') it fits nicely in the bay of the bus. I have had it for about two years with no bad things to say about it. The hinges and latches all work fine and the price was less than  half of the TV ladder!

Ace
JimG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 12:05:27 AM »

The Little Giant ladder is in my humble opinion the best folding ladder for your money. It seemed to be pricey at the time, but I have no regrets buying our 1st one in 1990 (16 yrs. also). Later I picked up a larger one at auction as by then I knew what they are worth. The Little Giant is sturdy enough to walk up without holding on if you are steady enough on your feet. I also have no vested interest in them and you cannot buy mine.
Jim G. - Ohio 1979 RTS-II

Jim & Linda Gochnauer Plain City, Ohio
1979 RTS-II 40'X96"
NCbob

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 04:06:52 AM »

I had compared the ladder I bought with the ones on e-*** and the best deal was within $20 of the other.  The Factory Deal was a Free Home Trial for 60 days (with the e-*** store didn't offer) and when I asked the weight the factory guy told me, "35 lbs....but ours has wheels."

So I bought the one with wheels.  My Dad always used to tell us, "put wheels under that thing" and I guess it stuck.

Appreciate all the input guys....guess I didn't make a mistake after all.

NCbob
NCbob

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 04:30:25 AM »

JR....I'm having two new windshields installed in my '5' today and will have it inspected.  It IS required.  You will probably have to undergo an emmissions test as well.  Here's the skinny.....

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_services/drivershandbook/chapter7/vehicleInspection.html

NCbob
busboy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 01:10:04 PM »

I bought a Little Giant(don't know whats little about it though...) at a home show many years ago.  I got one of the larger ones and it is by far the most stable ladder money can buy...I think I paid $400 for the thing years ago.  Well, just last week as we were loading all of our stuff in storage and deciding what we needed for our year long tour, I considered taking the ladder, but it is just too big and heavy...wish I had one of the smaller versions.  Also, the guy who sold it to me at the home show must have used slic-50 or something on his demo ladder as he could make the things do tricks with just 2 fingers.  In reality, I have found it a little wieldy and always worried if I'm going to pinch my fingers off.  No, you did not make a mistake unless you had to go into debt to pay for it.
Happy Trails,
Brent
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 06:39:01 AM »

I looked at the Little Giant also. My SIL has one and he loves it, but he is a big brute also. I really found it too heavy and hard to manipulate for the few times that it would be needed while out on the road so I passed on that.

In place, I purchased an aluminum telescoping ladder. No, it does not do all the tricks of the Little Giant, but all I really needed was someway to get on the top of the bus or up high on the sides or front to replace clearance bulbs or similar tasks.

Unfortunately I do not remember the name, but it extended high enough to allow me to get on top of the bus. Must have been about 12 feet. It collapsed (telescoped within itself) to about two feet and was very light. Maybe 25 pounds. I believe it was rated for 250 pounds. It served my purposes admirably for many years and occupied very little space when collapsed.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: