Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 08:35:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What tool?  (Read 1157 times)
maria-n-skip

« on: September 09, 2007, 11:57:29 AM »

This was in the bay.

Anybody know what this is used for?

Thanks
 Skip
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 12:00:45 PM »

Looks like 'part' of a rivet squeezer.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 12:07:29 PM »

Early model MC-5, MC-7 and maybe later models had a tubular frame work hinged to the front of the spare tire compartment. When you lifted up the bumper, the frame work dropped to the ground like a ramp to slide the spare tire on.

When you flop the spare tire down against the frame work, you use the tool shown to lift the frame up to level or slightly above level so that you can push the spare back into the hole.
rdbishop

'68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 01:04:51 PM »

Skip,

It is a tire tool. It fits a budd wrench for breaking lug nuts loose. I used a 2" pipe over the handle to help. Finally got an impact .....

Richard
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 01:13:46 PM »

Cheesy I could think of about 105 smart a$$ answers for this one...but truly inquiring minds want to know.

For the moment I'll buy Stan's answer...but I can't see (at this point) where it has anything to do with my MC5 spare tire....but then...cut me a little slack....I'm still in knee pants compared to some of you. Wink

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
maria-n-skip

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 05:03:44 PM »

TomCat...Boy I would have to go to school to learn how to use it. Probably will have to anyways.lol

Stan I would go with that but my MCI 8 the front bumper lifts up and it is just a flat shelf..

RDBishop.. Ok but I don't have a budd wrench to see how it hooks up...
    If you still have the old tools maybe a picture would help. The wrench I have for lugs is set up for a hammer
    on loosening.

NCBob......I see your 105 and raise you another 20.....................

The rod does easily move in and out if that helps.

Indeed this inquiring mind would like to know. I really don't need added dead weight....as if 10 pounds would make
  a diff. but if it is useful I certainly wouldn't want to be caught without it.

Skip
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 05:33:21 PM »

NCbob: Check the spare tire compartment in the parts book and I think you will find that at least 5A and 5B models as well as the 7s had that framework as original equipment but for some reason it was removed. I took it off my 5A because I didn't know how to use it. When I got a 7 and the tool was in the tool box I found out how it worked.

Since most buses didn't carry a spare, and it was a pain to close the bumper and hold the frame in place I expect the maintenance people took them off. The procedure to close the bumper was to hold the frame in place with your foot with your knee under the bumper while you unlatched the catch on each end holding the bumper up. Then start to lower the bumper while you reached under with one hand to hold the frame. Easy for any man with four arms and three legs, however it made it easy to slide the tire into the compartment.
rdbishop

'68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 09:31:59 PM »

I wish someone would find the answer...

Richard
unclewilly

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 11:09:05 PM »

The tool in the picture is indeed a handle for the budd wrench i made one for my senicrusier and it works great.
The small pin slides back you install the wrench and the pin slides forward it gives a lot of leverage.

unclewilly
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: