Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 09:50:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: towing double  (Read 2285 times)
phil9tx

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2006, 03:19:41 PM »

I have never towed a double ( ranger pick-up and small boat) with my MCI 9. Any thoughts? Probably under 65 ft. allowable in most states. I know backing up will be impossible. Thanks
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 04:35:14 PM »

I believe you need to have a truck, fifth wheel, then trailer.  Not sure if you can pull two full trailers.  Good LUck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 04:37:18 PM »

I believe all states that allow doubles require the front trailer to be a fifth wheel or gooseneck connection.  You generally cannot tow two bumper pull type trailers together.

I don't know if one of those tow dollies that lets you tow a fifth wheel would be legal for this, but your trailers don't appear to be fifth wheels anyhow.

Brian Elfert
DrDave

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 06:01:05 PM »

I saw a Motorhome heading up the Interstate towards Daytona the other day
with a Ford Ranger 4-down on a tow bar and boat trailer hooked to the Ranger.

He obviously wasn't a local. I don't think they are allowed in Florida or they didn't used to be.

Besides, Put a Rack on the truck with a winch, Pull the boat trailer up on top of the truck
and then only have the truck to worry about. better yet, Rent a boat or get and inflatable.

Or get a big trailer and big trailer hitch, put the truck and boat inside.

My personal feelings are that Doubles pulled by distracted people on vacation is a bad idea.

But if it's legal to WAG THE DOG in your neck of the woods and you can do it safely. Go for It.

But expect a ticket when you least expect it from some unforgiving Trooper.....
Clarke Echols

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 09:22:33 PM »

I've seen what's known as "Rocky Mountain Triples" -- trucks pulling a semi-trailer followed by two more trailers on fifth-wheel towing dollies.  I suspect they're only allowed in certain states on certain highways --mainly interstate highways.

Clarke
NCbob

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 04:18:40 AM »

When the wife and I went to Fort Lauderdale a week or so ago I was surprised to pass a  S/S job towing a small pickup, towing a boat down the Turnpike.  But since FL allows double trailers only on the T'Pike I guess the Troopers were ignoring this rig.

Personally, it's scary enough to tow my Scion, 4 down. without a rear camera.  I could be dragging that l'il crittur on it's roof and not know it!

But there's a camera and monitor somewhere in my future.

NCbob
Dale MC8

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 08:25:05 AM »

You might consider a double-decker trailer. Use the ones for auto transport as idea material. Back the trailered boat onto the trailer, crank it up and put your car/truck on the level below. Or the other way (car/truck on top.) Seems like boat on top would balance better.

Just thinking out load. FWIW

Dale

Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 06:36:13 PM »

****** from fla statute 316.515

(3)  LENGTH LIMITATION.--Except as otherwise provided in this section, length limitations apply solely to a semitrailer or trailer, and not to a truck tractor or to the overall length of a combination of vehicles. No combination of commercial motor vehicles coupled together and operating on the public roads may consist of more than one truck tractor and two trailing units. Unless otherwise specifically provided for in this section, a combination of vehicles not qualifying as commercial motor vehicles may consist of no more than two units coupled together; such nonqualifying combination of vehicles may not exceed a total length of 65 feet, inclusive of the load carried thereon, but exclusive of safety and energy conservation devices approved by the department for use on vehicles using public roads

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: