Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 10:43:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Aluminium instead of Copper for high amp 12v  (Read 2755 times)
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 08:25:04 AM »

Stan - I believe the use of Copper is required for branch/distribution sub-panels w/o disconnects - if there is a main disconnect and lugged panel, Aluminum should be fine.

On the other hand, Aluminum wire in any installation involving vibration and the posibility of large temp. variation is a no no (as said before) - JMO

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 09:50:02 AM »

. . . . and my personal opinion is that the quality of components used and the quality of workmanship made a big difference.

BINGO

In college we studied the aluminum wire & causes of failure. The quality of workmanship could have prevented most, but the window for getting it right was small & the smallest things could lead to failure.

In spite of this, I listened to the counter guy that assured me that 'EVERYONE" was using alum for service entrance.  Sad
Once a year for several years after I installed the alum wire from the meter to the house panel , I'd have to re-torque the connections inside the house panel, but never in the meter can.
I looked for a difference & what I noticed is the meter base on my house has a large heat sink at the lugs, the breaker inside the house panel does not. I'm guessing the heat made the biggest problem at the connection. & yes, I did use the proper no-ox paste & a torque wrench as per the instructions with the breaker that was rated for AL-CU  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 01:59:29 PM »

Hello Nissan_down_unde

Yeah, about the same answer.  Large aluminum solid wire may not like vibration like experienced in a motorcoach.  May crack at the tight bends bent into the aluminum.  Also, check to seesss if all the contacts are alluminumm also and not steel or copper or an incapatability may set in including continunity problems, corrosion and the aluminum coating the other contacts.  How comes you speel words funny?  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Nissan_DownUnder

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 09:22:59 PM »

Giday HB of CJ (& others)

Thanks again for all the advice.

Strewth Mate, ifn u think I speel funy, ur lucky ur'nt trying t ntrprt mu accent.

Bewdy cobber,
         Peter

Peter
Nissan UA440,  Wellington, New Zealand
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 09:10:31 AM »

Kyle's last statement is important.  Components used with aluminum wiring should be clearly marked AL/CU, indicating they are designed for use with either aluminum or copper wiring.  The electrolysis thing re. mating dissimilar metals.
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: