Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 05:57:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Puppy!! (w/picture) Suggestions??  (Read 3565 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2007, 08:06:43 AM »

Yup, I'm about to be a proud poppa again.  Grin Grin Grin  He is an Australian Blue Heeler. It will be at least 3 weeks before I can go and get him.
  I had a female, Tilli, for 17 1/2 years. She was my Dad's absolute pride and joy!!! They were the BEST of buddies!! Totally a scene from a Norman Rockwell painting. I could just tell you so many cool and cute stories about them. She was MY dog,  but HIS grandchild!!! Wink  Cheesy lololol  She would beg to go home with him at night. But anyway..............

But this thread isn't just about my new bundle of joy,  Wink I was curious about those of you who travel with "four legged and furry children". How do you do it? What do you do? what are the drawbacks? (of which I'm sure there are many, ie. campgrounds, etc.)
  I like Australian Blue Heelers because they are so smart. (Honestly, I could just about "talk" to Tilli.) So if this little fellow turns out to be the "norm", I should be able to train him to do whatever.
I wonder if Ceasar (The "Dog Whisperer") has any info on puppies? (By the way, GREAT show on National Geographic Channel on Friday nights.)

So, what am I in for???
    Chaz

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 09:25:42 AM by Chaz » Logged

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 08:25:13 AM »

We got nuestra gatito jorgito specifically to have company when we go on the road fulltime starting this fall.  Previous cats we have been owned by have not been the best travellers but we reasoned that we would get George accustomed to travel from an early age.  He has just turned one and has already logged probably 3000 miles.  He's getting better.  He doesn't yowl like some cats do when they travel.  He doesn't turn green like his predecessor did.  His tummy still gets a little upset so we cut back his rations on travel days.  We probably would have had a dog if the pound had any cute dogs the day Marilyn went looking for a pet.  As it turned out the first cat she brought home was deathly ill and ended up dying within a month but while we were doctoring him we met George who had been impounded by the local vet.  So things worked out well for George.  I would have serious difficulty picking up dog $hit so I'm not all that torn up by not having a dog.  I tell people that my favorite kind of dog is somebody elses.

I think the important thing is to get the pet accustomed to your lifestyle, whatever that may be.  In our case that means that Jorgito is strictly an indoors cat.  It means that he is getting used to being on a leash.  I even take him for walks.  That started out as taking him for a drag but now he sort of leads.  He is much happier when he thinks he is going home but he does lead and the exercise is good for him. 

I also believe that a travelling animal needs to be extra healthy.  The stress of travel will make them more susceptible to disease and travel will expose them to everything that is out there.  That means you need to make sure that all the necessary shots are up to date and I believe it also means that you shouldn't let your pet get grossly out of shape.  Some pets seem to naturally regulate their diet but we have all seen plenty of pets that are grossly obese.  This is no healthier for a pet than it is for a human.  We have jorgito on a strict diet.  He thinks he is starving to death but his coat is sleek, his eyes are bright, he has energy to burn and he has grown to full body size.  He's just not getting fat.  He'd like to get fat, no doubt about that but I don't think we are harming him by controlling his intake and I think we are in fact doing him a great favour.

As far as bus mods to accomodate the cat - the private $hit house is all he has so far.  His scratching post is going out there the minute we become fulltime.  His favorite spot to sleep is under the couch but there isn't room there for his little cat bed so he sleeps on the rug.  He likes to have a window open enough so he can smell the outdoors and listen to the birds so I try to make sure he has my ticket window open in the evening so he has somewhere to go in the morning.  He also likes to look out the front windows so we leave a corner of the window cover open at night so he can look out in the morning.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 08:53:57 AM »

Sounds pretty good.
 I got Tilli because they are athletic dogs. (some might read "hyper"  Smiley) They are fantastic frisbee dogs and I know they need their exercise. So frisbee is an excellent way for them to burn it off and me to just enjoy.
  Tilli also rode on the back of my Harley, so I familiar about "breaking them in".  Smiley

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 09:02:20 AM »

Chaz,
    Congratulations on your new family member.
    We had 2 Blue Heeler's, but we used our working cattle. They loved to run all day. If not working cattle, they would spend hours chasing dragon flies. When we started traveling, they could not get near as much exercise as they were used to. They did not seem happy traveling, so we gave them to a friend that has a ranch. They are now back to working cattle and chasing dragon flies. I agree about them be one of the smartest dogs and "how bout that cattle dog smile"?  Ours were adults before we tried traveling with them. Had we started with them as puppies, I am sure it would have been different.
   We do travel with 2 Bengal (1/6th Asian leopard) cats. We have never had a minutes problem traveling with them. If we haven't traveled for a couple months the male will sometimes howl for a while (maybe 30-45 minutes) when we first start out, but no problem after that. We have never had either one get sick while traveling. Both these cats started traveling when they were 8 months old.
   Because our cats are semi exotic, we carry all the papers and a current vets exam and history of all their vaccinations.  Jack
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 09:11:26 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 09:12:30 AM »

Our dog just went on his first bus trip over Labor Day weekend. Usually we just left him with my folks but it was time for him to go along. He is two years old now. My wife got a back pack, (made for this purpose), to put "Squirt" in. We bought him some "Doggles" to wear, and hit the freeway. He was nervous at first as his "Home" was rocking and rolling down the road. after a couple of hours it was fine. He's really stressed if we leave him in the bus alone, but in time he'll get used to that. Usually if we take the bus somewhere we have the bikes along and he can ride along. HE REALLY DIGS ridin' on the Harley. Mostly on my wifes bike, but sometimes with me. Pretty much anywhere you have to keep them on a leash. That's ok with me because if he sees a rabbit, bird, etc... he wants to chase it. As far as places/trails etc.. that don't allow pets, all you have to do is quote the "American Disabillity Act of 1992" IF your pet is a service animal you can NOT be denied access with your pet. You do NOT have to produce any documentation to support that. We just tell anyone he warns of an upcoming seizure, END OF DISCUSSION.
As far as stopping for a rest I need as much or more stopping as the dog does. Be a responsible owner and pick up after your pet. 
The cat, on the other hand, goes on alert when he hears the bay door open. If he hears the Master disconnect switch he's GONE. He hates the bus. When we moved out here from Oregon we had to drug him. I just have a safe place for him to hang out while we're gone. My nephew feeds/waters him for a few $$$.

Don & Sheila
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 10:14:59 AM »

Chaz, way back in my limited memory I remember reading about a bus nut that had cut an access hole so the dog or cat could go down in the bays.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 01:10:49 PM »

Actually Jack, I have that!!  Smiley The PO had cut a trap door down into the middle bay for the kids to go down in while they were cruisin. I know some folks are not a big fan of that idea, but he had the whole thing foamed up and paneled. They have 4" thick foam mattresses in there and a TV/VCR frenched into the wall. It is quite cool. But that space will now house my Harley.
 I don't want to give up that door and thought that may come in useful. Most people have "crates" that their animal becomes very comfortable with and they like to stay in them. I may try that for his sleeping quarters.
  One of my main hopes is that he has good "control"! Roll Eyes  Tongue  Tilli had excellent "control" and could stand a full day if she had to. (and did!!!  My bad!!!!  Undecided Embarrassed)

Thanx for the thought!
        chaz

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 02:36:39 PM »

Chaz,

Please do not hear me knocking your choosen breed, I am not.  Heelers get mixed reviews as pets.  I read a piece a couple years ago that Heelers are not considered pets in their native Austrailia but are considered a no-nonsense cattle dog that has domestication issues.  That was the supposed Aussie position/posture.  That article said that "on the ranch" the Heelers stayed off to themselves and usually had dens under some outbuilding and accompanied the rancher only when he sadled up.  If you read the AKC temperment description you have to read between the lines as they are loath to come out and be critical of any breed.  Better safe than sorry as having to part with a pet is serious sadness.  I lost 4 dogs in one year, two that were both over 14 were taken by cancer and a third was put down by the breeder due to a serious latent birth defect and a car got the fourth.  Talk about tears.  Currently have two Manchester Terriers that RULE the roost and have already cornered a burgular "till help arrived".  Socialize your puppy early and often.  The rule is that they meet 100 people before they are 12 weeks old and I know a breeder that advertises that he has pups and invites people to bring their kids and pets over to meet and greet.  Getting other dogs and bitches to interact with your pup will serve to minimize his agressive tendancies to other animals.

I visit a dog park many times during the week and being around other breeds gives you a feel for their common temperments.  For instance....you will NEVER find a Min Pin at a park.  In four years I saw two of those and one was half Mexican Ch. and the other "looked" min but was too large and didn't have papers.  The AKC says "may tend to be agressive" about Mins.  Heelers are a popular breed here in Orygun but i don't think I have met 3 in all the years I have gone to the parks.

Was at the park early this summer and this guy rode up on a bicycle pulling s small trailer.  On the trailer he had a 90+pound Pit Bull Terrier.  That dog had massive scars all over his muzzle and shredded ears and a set of testicles the size of a tennis ball.  It walked stiff legged and froze and stared when it stopped.  That posturing flags serious agression and you didn't have to be a canine officianado to understand that the chill you felt when you looked at that critter meant danger.  The guy looked like he and the dog were well matched and he had a 12 inch sheath knife hanging from his belt.  Cocker Spaniels and poodles and terriers and Dachshounds were running to and fro chasing each other and balls as is the norm.  Nobody had a care in the world except maybe half the owners that were scrambling to get their pet collected and held.  I walked over to this guy, greeted him cordially and commented on the powerfull look of his Pit.  He replied that "yeah and he don't take no $#!% from noth'in".  So the tone was set.  I told the guy that there were new rules at the park and that maybe he had not been informed.  He scoffed and said "what rules, I pay taxes and can take my dog anywhere I want".  I gave my most sincere assurance that I had served many years in the miletary to protect his freedoms and I took no issue with his prerogative and asked that he trust in my sincerity on that.  I then went on to explain that we, those of us that frequent the park regularly, no longer hold the animal responsible for their actions but rather we were now holding the owner responsible.  To his blank look I added "what that means to you is that if your Pit kills my 20 pound terrier for no good reason, I will cut off one of you F'n arms and I will choose which arm.  That is not a threat and I will sign a contract with you to that effect."  He said " you are out of your F'n mind, you old $#!%".  I got up real close and said " thats my point my young friend, you think you are the only LUNITIC running around on the loose out here and that isn't true."  A friends 12 pound Jack Russel , at that point came up next to the Pit and while standing on his rear legs put a friendly front paw on the Pit's shoulder while wagging his stumpy tail happily.  The Idiot lunged for his Pit and throttled it by the neck with a loud "NO!".  He then turned to me and said "you crazy sh1t, you can't do that to a Pit". and left with his dog in close tow.  A firend there said "Thank God, John.   That dog has gotten loose three times and in every case it has killed a dog and the last was a Golden in its own back yard and the Pit ran through the fence to get at him.  After he killed it he chewed the legs off of the carcass".  Mom and Dad came home from shopping to find their "Baby".   Well this is a horror story and be sure I go to the park for the joy of seeing my pets romp and interact with everyone elses and it is a very nice thing to do for our "kids" and ourselves.  Early socialization is important to allow the maximum reasonable freedom.  They call me the "old softy" now with a grin but my real name is "Merlin's Daddy".

"Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a man that DOES NOT like dogs"  is what I tell the young girls at the park.  To date, every one has answered "ow, for sure" or something like that.  I didn't asy doesn't have one, please note.

I envy you your all-to-short puppy period.  Mine will, in all probably, out live me and the wife.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 02:58:04 PM »

Chaz,

I have a heeler as one of my three outside dogs.

She is a really good dog and is known as mine by the kids.

Jack had me cracking up as mine also chases dragon flies in the pasture.  "Don't land in my field"

She does the same with Turkey Vultures and Egrets. 

She will chase my son around on his four wheeler and jump in the stock tank to cool off.

I think they are a great dog and probably the smartest breed I have owned.

Loyal to a fault.

Best of luck

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 03:35:18 PM »

Thanx John................................................................(wow Shocked)  lol
  That is a neat rule of thumb about meeting 100 people. I can see how that would really be the ticket. I appreciate that insight and I'm actually going to try to achieve that!! (hell, I made Hero Member, didn't I!?!?) lol
  I took Tilli EVERYWHERE with me. She was well known around here. I guess I did something like that rule of thumb without knowing it. And she was with Dad cuisin around whenever she wasn't with me. He is going to be soooo surprised!!!!  I can't wait!!!

Damn Cliff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew I liked ya for some dumb reason!!!!!  Cheesy  LOLOLOLOLOLOL  (even tho I am a "Yankme"!  Grin  BUT, at least I'm not a "Damn Yankee". I understand those are the one's that come down and don't go home!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL
  I too am pretty loyal to the breed. When I wanted to get a dog before I had gotten Tilli, I researched a bit and Heelers are what I came up with. Smarts and athletic ability were at the top of the list. And i like the size. But I prefer the shorter end of the spectrum.

Do you ever take yours with you or are they strictly outside?

Thanx guys!!!!!!
        Chaz       
           (startin to look for Cigars!  Wink )

skihor

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 03:39:31 PM »

Since we live full time in our bus I had to do something about letting the dog and cat out. I cut a "pet door" into the face of the second step. (I had to use some angle iron to stiffen the sides as cutting the hole made the step weak). That leads to the spare tire compartment. It just so happens that the spare tire is the same height as the bottom of the door, so the dog and cat have something to walk on to clear the door. I have the bumper proped open with a short 2X4 against the spare. No litter box and if the dog needs to go he does. REMEMBER TO LOCK THE DOOR IF TRAVELING!!!

Don & Sheila
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 03:43:34 PM »

That's interesting Don. I'm not familiar with your bus, but it sounds like a cool idea.

skihor

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 03:44:44 PM »

1967 MCI 5A. the smallest pet door just barely fit.

Don & Sheila
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 04:42:49 PM »

We travel with a 80lb Belgian Malinois, the breed the military and police department are using.  He was passed over because he was just too "mellow".

He loves to travel with us.  He started at about nine months.  He will sit outside the bus all day watching the world go by.  He sleeps on the top step inside.  We go on fequent walks and kong chasing trips.

The most important things to keep your dog in a rv park or campground is to clean up after it with the little doggie bag, make sure he is social and, most important, NO BARKING.  Barking will get you thrown out ASAP. So start early, with telling him "no" about barking.  If something comes too close to us at night, our dog will become alert, maybe a low growl, but no barking.

Don and Cary
GMC4107

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 06:24:29 PM »

Jack had me cracking up as mine also chases dragon flies in the pasture.  "Don't land in my field"

Yeah, and the amazing thing is that occasionaly I would see him get one out of the air 4-5' off the ground! 

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 07:03:13 PM »

My grandfather uses blue heelers on the farm to run cattle. Great working dogs and very smart. They are a natural herder; I love to watch them work. I have two Jacks and unfortunately, my bus would be too confined to take them along. I do use them to find the mice nests that seem to show up in the bus.

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4743.msg43645;topicseen#msg43645

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 06:24:53 AM »

We traveled with our German Shepherd mix Punkin, who was the namesake of my website. She was only a few weeks old when we started, and she went with us everywhere. In the Explorer, we would fill the back end with luggage and throw a heavy blanket on top, and she would climb up between the luggage and ceiling and stretch out and sleep or watch the traffic go by. She was a small dog, only about 35 lbs. When we got the bus, she was a bit depressed because she couldn't see out the windows when traveling. She'd often ride on my wife's lap and then she was happy. If she got tired, she'd go sleep on the bed, or the pile of sleeping bags before we got a bed. We didn't stay in parks. The bus was not functional yet, so usually stopped at hotels, and we had long since learned how to get her into hotels, or she would stay in the bus. She was better behaved than the kids were so we never had a problem. She loved to travel and was good about letting us know when she needed to stop.

When she was a pup, my son was 4 months old, and we were stuck in Ogalalla, NE, when the temp got down to 40 below and the car wouldn't start the next morning (actually, the only car in the parking lot that would start was an older cadillac with a 8-4-6 engine in it). I was outside all morning trying to get the car started and Teri was in the room with Pumkin and the baby. Punkin had not peed since 9:00 the previous morning (she was a nervous traveler when she was young, and only peed once a day).  By 11:00, she was getting pretty cross legged, but Teri couln't take her out because of the baby and the extreme cold, and I was still working on the car. She opened the bathroom door which was next to the room door, figuring if Punkin started to go, she could shove her into the bathroom on the tile floor where she could easily clean it up. She heard something, and looked around and Punkin was gone! She found her in the bathtub, squatted down peeing. Only problem was she was turned the wrong way, so she had to wash her feet! 

She was an awesome friend. We lost her in 2003 after 14 years. I still miss her.

Enjoy your new friend, Chaz. With some patience by you, she will become a great companion for you in your travels.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 07:47:46 AM »

Great story, thanx Craig. If this little fella is as good as Tilli was, it will be a pleasure. I miss her LOTS. I great companion is hard to beat! Hope he likes riding on my harley also.  Smiley

Chaz

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 03:00:22 PM »

Craig,

I once had a cocker mix fo 14 1/2 years.  Busy Bitch too was my constant companion as was your Punkin.  A friend once said " I'll bet that if Busy ever died you would never have another dog for the rest of your life, as close as you two are.  I replied that when Busy died I would have another dog the next day.  He expressed disbelief.  I answered that he would understand if he turned the situation around ie. if I died would I want Busy to have the care of a loving person the very next day.  He said "yeah, I get that, but...."  I answered " she loves me as much as I love her and I am sure she would want the void her passing created to be filled as soon as possible.  I have not regretted doing that.  I hope your life circumstance will affor you the opportunity to enjoy Punkin's successor.

I had a Doberman that I put down in 75 after 3 years of bonding.  Like Bo Jangles, I still greive and even weep on occasion.  When you meet someone that has successfully raised a Dobe ask " are Dobes telepathic?" and see what you get for a response.

Here's to Punkin, may she ever live in our memory,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
maria-n-skip

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 03:49:02 PM »

With dogs this is what it is about...........
  Baby Eva 7 months
  Willow the Wiemy 1.5 yrs
  Lilo the Pug  the grand dame

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 03:55:19 PM by maria-n-skip » Logged
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 07:42:33 PM »

Maria-n-Skip,

Thank you for sharing that really sweet pic.  Yes,it is.

John

—Pla
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 01:50:25 PM »

Hello Chaz,

I would NEVER NEVER get a Blue Heeler 'cause I could not ever ever stand-----having a pet smarter than the owner!!---ME!!!  Smiley Smiley
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 02:04:29 PM »

HAAAAAAAA!!!! Cheesy

Yeah, Tilli taught me a bunch too!!!

Chaz

Nissan_DownUnder

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 02:49:55 PM »

Hi Chaz

As a kid in WA (Western Australia), I grew up with Cattle dogs & Kelpies.  We always had one or two in the yard.  Since then I have gone on to breed & show Old English Sheepdogs.  I also judge dogs & run one of the local dog training groups (voluntary).  In fact, the reason I am converting a bus is to take our dogs around the country to Dog Shows and to provide a safe place for our kids at the shows.  Because of this I have given a reasonable amount of thought to travelling with dogs.

As mentioned before Cattle dogs are bred to work on the big cattle stations (ranches).  These stations are huge, they are measured by the square mile, some of them are larger than most US states.  The cattle here only see humans at roundup, approximately every 2 years.  It takes a special type of dog to deal with these cattle.  A working cattle dog can be very wary of humans it doesn't know & also very protective.  However, if they are socialised from a young age & their protection instincts channelled they make great pets.  The important thing is socialisation with as many people as possible from as early as possible.  A dog that is travelling should also be socialised with kids, especially if there are no kids already in the coach.  The other thing is to ensure that his protective instincts are channelled to only the coach itself & not the area 100 yds around the coach.  Provided you train this from a puppy & make sure you are the leader of his pack, not the other way around, his protective instincts should be a bonus. 

The first thing to consider when travelling with dogs is the accommodation:
The dog needs a place that is theirs, not just sharing the corridors.  The area should be reasonably quiet, well ventilated & adequate size.  We are raising the main bed & putting a dog area under.  A cattle dog will need an area of at least 30 inches on a side, more if possible. The dog area should be lockable so that the dog can be restricted in this area if necessary.  It makes sense to keep the dog confined when you are driving.  Here it is illegal to drive with an unrestrained dog in the vehicle.  Then you should consider water, either you need to have a spill resistant container available or provide water every hour or two.  The biggest problem with animals in vehicles is heat exhaustion & dehydration.

The accommodation should have a waterproof lining.  We have a rubberised lining about an inch deep.  This prevents any accidents with puppies spreading into the coach.  Also allow that dogs will track dirt into the coach in wet weather, therefore we use vinyl flooring rather than carpets, we will also have a separate door for the dog area.

Dogs need a pitstop about as often as humans & need exercise of at least 15 min at least 2 to 3 times a day.  Cattle dogs tend to be very efficient with their food; far more pets have problems with obesity than with malnutrition.  So on the road where he is getting less exercise, you need to restrict feeding to keep him at a reasonable weight.

I hope this helps your planning.  I have no doubt your pup will be a great addition to your family.

Regards
        Peter

Peter
Nissan UA440,  Wellington, New Zealand
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 07:49:03 PM »

Peter,

Thank you!  You sound like the guy that first told me about Heelers.  He related your cautions but not your recommendations.  Some breeds NEED to be dominated by Alpha Male and from what you said the Heeler is one.  I know that the Dobe is another.  Fail to do that and you will most likely end up putting the animal down.  As a herder the Heeler should not be a turf protector but more a "family" protector.

Thanks again for your post and good luck with the dog showing enterprise.  Keep us posted, please.

John

—Pla
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 09:46:06 PM »

Thanx Peter!!
  After having a Heeler for 17 years, And reading much on them,  all of what you said tends to make sense. ie. their food intake, etc. Tilli was social, but really only cordial. She always liked big males, but nothing else really.
  I got Tilli for all of the qualities they offer and the fact that they are outstanding athletes and Frisbee is a great sport for them. They tend to rank very high in competition and have been known to be national champions overall. They are an absolute blast to watch when they contort their body and catch the Frisbee.
  Thanx for all the ideas and insight on traveling. It's really common sense for the most part, but it's a good refresher from a person who knows such as yourself.
  Any suggestions on the name?? Grin I am considering "Roo". I would like to have a name that has "something" to do with Australia. I know they are jumpers (Tilli at her best could take the Frisbee out of my hand holding it about 7 plus feet in the air. (no exaggeration!!! I'm 5'11" and I would hold it almost straight up.) And she could clear the sides of the pickup truck when she would jump in. (God I loved that dog! Cry)
  So if ya got any neat, cute or unique names, I'm open for them!!!  Grin Slang is cool too. (Mate crossed mind, but it doesn't roll off your tongue. Aussie was another. I even considered Sheila for Tilli in the biginning)

Thanx a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
   G'day Mate,
       Chaz

p.s.Down Under is the #1 spot I want to go when I get to go abroad. I got mates in Botany.  Grin

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 07:12:29 AM »

"Roo" is doing very well. What a ball of fire!! He's showing great signs of being a smart dog, but then I work with him everyday. He definitely know Dad (me) is the boss but it's funny how he tries to control Linda.
 We got the house broke thing down pretty good already. Just an ever so occasional mishap if I'm not paying attention. He is just now starting to bark when he wants out. Here is a shot.

The down side to this, which I haven't mentioned before, was that I got Roo for my father as much as me. But Dad never got to see him. He passed the week before I picked him up. That's why I haven't been on here as much as use to be.

Anyway................... That's a tough subject and I don't do well with it.

I'll drop an occasional note about the "little turd bird" on occasion for all you dog lovers. Some more pix too.

Just me,
      Chaz

BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 07:49:18 AM »

Chaz,

Beautiful dog man! Sorry to hear about the passing of your father, I lost mine in '95, and I know it's tough.

Hang in there
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 07:55:03 AM »

i absolutely think you should not take that dog in your bus.  it would definitely be a bad thing for you to do that.

as a busnut friend, i will help you out by taking that puppy off your hands so that you'll know he's going to a good home.  We're out in the country, plenty of room to run, and he can fly with the Eagles in our bus.

when do you want to run him up here, or for us to pick him up?

Wink Wink

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »

Chaz,

I think Tom gets the prize for paying a sincere compliment....albeit left handed. 

Roo is a great looking dog.  Did you keep him intact?  If you don't castrate them before six months you don't modify the aggression or marking tendency.  That is most of the motivation for that surgery.  Sterile?  take care of that with a vasectomy.  I leave my males intact so they will develop physically and I cope with the problems.  Wendy, Merlins wife, is fixed with a "Uterine Hysterectomy".  She still has her ovaries and the testosterone that females get from their ovaries so she is energetic, lean and very well muscled.

You will have a hard time finding a vet that can fix a bitch without gutting her.  The professor of Veteranary Surgery
at Oregon State called me back to say she knew of no one that would do that surgery.  She added that when I found a vet that could he would be an old man.  He is 65!  Seems that this is a popular method in Europe but the US leans to "fast and cheap".  See, and you thought it was just those Md's.

You lucky Dog.  (I'm talking to you both) Roll Eyes

John

—Pla
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2007, 02:43:40 PM »

Congratulations on your newest addition!
He's awesome looking. I'm sure you'll do a great job making him part of your family.
We have a 1 year old Black Lab and a 5 year old Golden Retreiver - our "kids".
Best of luck.
Sammy  Cool
Nissan_DownUnder

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 11:42:51 AM »

Giday Chaz

Sorry to hear about your father.

Great to hear the progress with your pup.  If your working with him every day, there is no doubt he will turn out to be a brilliant addition to your family.  Like so many other things, consistency is the key to working with dogs.  Make sure is gets out in vehicles as often as possible, so he will be used to traveling.

On a minor note of caution, remember not to over-work a young pup too much.  A young dog needs regular moderate exercise.  Also, you should restrict the hight you allow him to jump until he is older.  For example, dogs are not allowed to compete (or train over jumps) in agility until they are 18 months old.  You need to wait until the shoulder joints have properly developed.

Keep us posted with pictures

Peter

Peter
Nissan UA440,  Wellington, New Zealand
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 07:39:06 PM »

Thank you all for the nice comments and condolences.
  Roo is doing well and picking up a little more everyday.

Peter,
    He really isn't jumping too much, except for his playing around. He's mostly just running around like a nut. I guess it's an occasional "manic phase"!!  Cheesy

Sammy,
    Yeah, he will be a good addition. The "puppy phase" can be a little trying, but I wouldn't have it any other way. He can be such a pain in the @$#, and turn around and make you laugh till tears roll. I think Linda likes watching me laugh at him the most.

Manasst,
    Next time he "drops a duece" in the house, I'll call ya and tell ya where we can meet for the exchange!!  Grin Grin Grin
   Naaaaaaah, all part of it. I just can't wait till he gets the hang of frisbee. If any of you have never seen the competitions - and your a dog lover - you owe it to yourself to see it. Either live or on TV. It is amazing and you have never seen happier dogs. Here is a site that you can see some pix of true agility: http://www.dogpatch.org/dogs/frisbee.cfm

Time to go back to the house and see if he ate his crate!  Wink Grin

Oh, by the way, from the time we brought him home, which was a 2 1/2 hour drive, he has been a perfect little traveler. THAT kinda suprised me a little. And when I'm "playing" inside the bus, he has found a little spot to the right and behind my seat that he likes to hang. Pretty cool.

G'nite,
      Chaz

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: