Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
July 26, 2016, 06:21:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  4,292 Members as of January 24, 2015 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V92  (Read 1015 times)
PRZNBUS

1986 MCI MC9 8V92TA

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2015, 03:00:14 AM »

A friend told me of a 1977 Kenworth log truck with a running 8V92 Silver Series in it for sale locally. The truck chassis is pretty much shot as it crabs going down the road. My question is, would this engine have a turbo and after cooler? It has Jakes which is what I'm looking for. For what the owner supposedly want's for the truck, I can probably make a few bucks parting it out. It has a Hood knuckle boom loader worth $3500 and he's asking $3500 for the whole rig. It still runs and drives but it's past working for a living.

Bruce

Bruce
Rapid City, SD

1986 MCI MC9 Retired Prison Bus
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 06:50:16 AM »

what do you have now ?

are you planning a lot of mountain driving ?

what are your thoughts on cooling ?

more power, more heat, more fuel.

me... i would not think a motor 10 years older than my bus makes much sense...

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
kyle4501

NEWELL in South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 08:54:11 AM »

Sounds like a fun project - If you have the space to wait for the right buyers to show up, you should make a bit of extra cash in the deal.  Cheesy

If you have a running spare engine, the one in your coach will last forever.  Grin

The greatest thing about having Jakes is that you can use them whenever you want them simply with the flick of a switch.
If you don't have them, you don't have that option.

I like the jakes on mine, keeps the downhill speed in check when on cruise control.  Cool

Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »

you can buy jakes for less than $3500.00  Grin

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 10:23:10 AM »

Silver came out in '81, so it's a repower so you know it isn't as old as it might be.  It probably got put in there after the original engine wore out, so it might be as late as 1990.  If you can re-purpose or sell the boom to pay for the truck you get the engine for hard work and skinned knuckles...  Jakes and all.  You know a truck engine won't go into an MCI without a LOT of work, basically rebuilding the front and back of the engine down to the block to install the motor mounts and the accessory drives, right?

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
PRZNBUS

1986 MCI MC9 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 11:10:20 AM »

Basically want the Jakes but I see some money can be made. I already have a great running 1986 8V92TA and I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota which has the highest peaks between the Rockies and the Atlantic over 7200 feet. We do plan on doing a lot of mountain driving and thought the Jakes would be helpful. I was thinking about parting out the other engine also and keeping what I can use. Space for storage of the Kenworth isn't a problem nor will be waiting to sell the parts. The Kenworth has an aluminum frame and a lot of other heavy scrap stuff. It all adds up for money for the prison bus!

Bruce

Bruce
Rapid City, SD

1986 MCI MC9 Retired Prison Bus
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 11:31:54 AM »

Basically want the Jakes but I see some money can be made. I already have a great running 1986 8V92TA and I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota which has the highest peaks between the Rockies and the Atlantic over 7200 feet. We do plan on doing a lot of mountain driving and thought the Jakes would be helpful. I was thinking about parting out the other engine also and keeping what I can use. Space for storage of the Kenworth isn't a problem nor will be waiting to sell the parts. The Kenworth has an aluminum frame and a lot of other heavy scrap stuff. It all adds up for money for the prison bus!

Bruce

Quandary solved... Grin

Donald PH
Wants Paint Smiley
kyle4501

NEWELL in South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 11:34:55 AM »

. . . . It all adds up for money for the prison bus!

Bruce

In all of this madness - after FUN, that is what is most important  Grin   

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 12:18:15 PM »

Think of all the great fun you and some Bus Conversion buddies could have stripping that old logging truck of anything and everything of value and use on your various Bus Conversions?  Sounds like a win win win to me, but then I am crazy and like doing that sort of stuff. Smiley
kyle4501

NEWELL in South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 01:08:24 PM »

Think of all the great fun you and some Bus Conversion buddies could have stripping that old logging truck of anything and everything of value and use on your various Bus Conversions?  Sounds like a win win win to me, but then I am crazy and like doing that sort of stuff. Smiley
I was thinking the same thing & wishing I lived closer.  Grin

I had a lot of fun removing the 8V92 from a Peterbilt. Was interesting to see how much was the same & how much was different.

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 02:25:10 PM »

I'm in the camp that says "if you're gonna repower...put something in it worth the effort and expense" cummins, 4 stroke...just my thoughts.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (current home)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise & conversion in progress
Click link for 900 photos of our conversion progress:
https://goo.gl/photos/cZJFQFUgLfbDA1bR6
kyle4501

NEWELL in South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 03:07:17 PM »

Sad that a 4 stroke doesn't sound as good as a good ole 2 stroke . . .

Besides, my 8v92 does just fine keeping up with the 4 strokes. Will often take the lead if i give it full throttle.  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: