Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 09:13:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding alcohol for winter use  (Read 721 times)
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »

Question for you old timers that have fleet experience, I have been looking for a place to add methel hydrate alcohol to my 4106 air system for winter use. I have found a cast aluminium cylinder above the air compressor that is fed directly from the compressor then on to the rest of the air system. this cylinder is 3.5 inches in diameter and 8 inches long with a shraeder valve at the bottem, cant figure out why the shraeder valve. it has a large plug at the top and large IN and OUT air lines on the sides. I drained this cylinder and got a pint of old oil in front of a lot of air pressure, MUCH MESS. I will certainly shut off the valve in the future and be ready. Would this be the place to add alcohol??>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 03:33:46 PM »

I think that's your air dryer, from you description. If it is your air dryer, it should be moved so it below the compressor and 6 ft away.
Ron
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 03:44:26 PM »

It's called the "Ping Tank" or compressor muffler, to keep the passengers from hollering about the noise the compressor makes as it cycles.
It has a schraeder valve on the bottom to air up the bus when the engine isn't running, like at a gas station or a Podunk bus stop after the bus has broken down.
Most of the ones I've seen have a valve on the bottom with a hose attached to dump the gunk.

I don't remember where the alcohol dryer goes, but I think it's right in that area. I'll see if I can find it in one of my books tonight.

Dallas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: