Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 18, 2017, 09:56:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No wipe!!!  (Read 1912 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:16:09 PM »

O.K. folks, I hope this got someone's attention. I completely rebuilt my air wiper motors and made sure to lube them well.  When hooked to compressed air they moved very well. When connected to my air valves NO WIPE! Was hoping someone could let me know how much PSI you think is necessary to move them at a good pace.

Has anyone converted the control valves to some other control valve set up? If so, can you share your insight?

I was thinking that I could convert the current airflow valves to electrically controlled air flow valves. They have some 24vdc valves that seem like they might work?

Thanks

Grant
Sacramento
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:21:47 PM by grantgoold » Logged

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 04:39:57 AM »

Grant,
  Not sure about minimum air pressure, but the wipers run off the accessory tank on the bus, which does not start filling until you reach approx. 65 PSI. Are you sure you have the air hoses connected correctly on the wiper and the wiper switch?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 05:57:00 AM »

I am pretty sure I do! Of course there is no diagram in the parts book or maintence manual! Anybody with a diagram? I I would love to have a picture of the original set up. It appears that my control switches are not allowing enough air to flow to the units now that they have new guts and all new rubber.

Thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 06:12:10 AM »

Grant

The control valves are very simple to work on remove them and take apart and clean and replace o-rings and lube I use white grease on them. then u should be good to go.

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 06:13:47 PM »

Larry, the motors have been completely rebuilt. The valves I have do not have o rings? The seem like very simple valves. I do not think they are OEM.

Thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 07:04:40 PM »

Make sure no one has installed a shutoff valve to the wiper system. Many have done that because the valves and wiper motors are notorious leakers. I'm thinking about doing it with mine.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 07:46:03 PM »

cjeck the air pressure  going to them just get some fitting and hook up a oressure gauge need about 65 lbs min if you don't have that check for a shut off valve or the valve out of aux tank under the driver.

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
RJ
Angola Coach Conversion "Aesop's Tortoise"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 08:45:12 PM »

Grant -

PM my regular email (in my profile) with a pic of your air wiper valves, and I'll see if CBS here in Fresno has them.  IIRC, they're not very expensive, and Gilligs, Crowns, and Thomas-Bilt buses all use the same ones as MCI.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 1978 MC-5C Converted
6V71/MT-644
S14947 1980 MC-5C Shell
6V92/HT-740
Cheney WA
Dreamscape

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 03:14:06 AM »

You could also check for air pressure by loosening the fittings at the valve. If you don't have air go backwards in your system to find where the air is supposed to come from. On our Eagle there are two hoses to each vavle, don't know if yours is the same or not. Like has been said before, wait until you have at least 60-65 psi. Mine start hissing when I start the engine then stop. I assume that is when the valves are seating themselves.

HTH,

Paul
gus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 12:17:26 PM »

Paul,

Mine hiss once in a while and I found that if I turn them momentarily to the Park position the hissings stops.

Don't have a clue why?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Dreamscape

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 02:33:45 PM »

Paul,

Mine hiss once in a while and I found that if I turn them momentarily to the Park position the hissings stops.

Don't have a clue why?

I know, I do the same thing. I think it is just seating the o-rings or something. I have never had one apart.

A bit annoying but what small hiss isn't!

Air gremlins always at work, but I will win!  Wink

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: