Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 07:14:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4104 Does anybody still run the old style gen and reg or is it too much bother?  (Read 910 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2007, 04:37:37 PM »

Looking at the manual it seems pretty archaic.  I know my bus is not charging right now but the PO messed pretty hard with the electrical.  I never have had too much luck in the past with generators especially the regulators,, and have always replaced them with alts.  Does anyone still run the gen and reg or is it too much trouble?  Seem I would not even need that high an amp alt as the bus is just doing light service and all my fixtures are propane.  Thoughts and input as always appreciated.  Patrick. 
p.s. is it stupid to just rig up a car alt and leave it at that?

gus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 05:26:36 PM »

My 4104 was converted to a 160a truck alt when I bought it and I have been very happy with it even though 160a is extreme overkill-60a would be more like it.

The old gen is heavy, has oil and water hookups, takes up a lot of engine comp space and is probably impossible to get parts for. I can't think of even one reason to keep it. If you do you are welcome to my old reg which was still in my bus.

Unless you need to charge a huge bank of batteries 60-100a should be plenty. I have two Gp 31 house batteries and two Gp 31 start batteries so I don't need anything like the 160a I have.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Damn Yankee

Bob Shafer 1965 Mci-5A-6029 8v71 auto

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 06:09:50 PM »

I'm still running the original gen and regulator on my 04 and mines not charging right either. After 2 to 3 day trips I notice my volt meter showing low batteries so I put the charger on them. I bought an accessory drive last year so I could convert to an alt, but haven't got around  to installing it yet. I see no reason to keep the old stuff as it's a constant maintenance headache.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 09:05:51 PM »

Highly recommend you change to a truck type alternator.  I know you can get a new 130-160 amp Delco, or Leece-Nevil for around $250-$300 new with the regulator built in.  Course these are negative ground-I know the 4104's were positive ground, but many were converted over to negative ground.  Personally, I would switch the electrical over.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: